Deluded Coventry Fans.

I remember a ridiculous penalty decision against us in one of the home prem fixtures. The ref was about 50 yards away. Clear dive. I think it was a draw.

I also remember an way game on telly, which we lost. Phil Neal behave like a complete dick, running around the side of the pitch.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think losing Callum Wilson has hit them hard and since Leon Clarke left for Wolves they have been on the slide.

They had Josh Mcqoid, Marcus Tudgay & Simeon Jackson on the bench, more than good enough replacements. Just not happening for them. Probably because there defence & keeper were horrendous.

Did they? I always thought we had a poor record against them. We never won at Highfield Road whenever I went (1-1, 0-3)

Pedantic me wishes to point out that FMS is right- that win was in the top flight but not the Prem.

We did beat them when we were both in the Prem but that was the League Cup.

Was it Cov where their manager complained to the ref, and made Dissa remove his gloves? Bobby Gould?

Yeah it was pretty sure the next time we played Sky on a Monday night he was made to take them off

Always thought that might have been Wimbledon (proper), but thinking about it Coventry City seems a possibility- the aforementioned 2-1 game in Sept 91

Weren't they in the top flight for a period covering four decades? They were quite pioneering under Jimmy Hill. I always like the pitch that had circles rather then stripes.

That said, they were never 'big' in the same way as Villa, Everton, Leeds or City. They did win the FA cup, and they had a reputation at times for good football. But never a big club in terms of attendances or winning masses of trophies. Depends how you define big (queue the Freudian inspired innuendos).

is that tongue in cheek? they beat bayern munich in the uefa cup...

That was Norwich City

Coventry are at arguably an all time low having spent well over 30 years between the late 60's until 2001 in the top flight so getting hammered in the third tier will be hard to watch for a number of their fans.

Having said that it's all about where someone is at any given time. I was happy with a point against chesterfield however I would have been pretty disappointed if we had only collected a point last night. If we drew Portsmouth in the first round of the FA cup this season a club that won it not so long ago I would expect nothing other than a win.

You don't play a clubs historical stature you play the team that they put out on the day.

That was Norwich City

Coventry are at arguably an all time low having spent well over 30 years between the late 60's until 2001 in the top flight so getting hammered in the third tier will be hard to watch for a number of their fans.

Having said that it's all about where someone is at any given time. I was happy with a point against chesterfield however I would have been pretty disappointed if we had only collected a point last night. If we drew Portsmouth in the first round of the FA cup this season a club that won it not so long ago I would expect nothing other than a win.

You don't play a clubs historical stature you play the team that they put out on the day.

I doff my imaginary hat to you sir, a great point well made. Something that needs to be kept in mind at all times.

FA CUP 87

LEAGUE CUP S/F 81,90

2ND DIV CHAMPIONS 67

3RD DIV CHAMPIONS 64

3RD DIV SOUTH 36

4TH DIV RUNNERS UP 59

Not a stunning record and arguably only very slightly better than us. But the psychology of being in the top tier for so long does work, like it does for Stoke and QPR

FA CUP 87 - s/f 13,90,94

LEAGUE CUP S/F 81,90 - runners up 90

2ND DIV CHAMPIONS 67 - 91 runners up 1910

3RD DIV CHAMPIONS 64 - 74

3RD DIV SOUTH 36 - north 53

4TH DIV RUNNERS UP 59 - 63

Not a stunning record and arguably only very slightly better than us. But the psychology of being in the top tier for so long does work, like it does for Stoke and QPR

Added our record alongside

little side note - When checking Coventry records

Youngest player: Jonson Clarke-Harris, 16 years 20 days (substitute vs Morecambe, 2010)

it doesn't, but in comparison to us.. competing against and rubbing shoulders with the biggest teams in Europe (outside of england) is something we've never done!

They played Plovdiv (no me neither) in Round One and then went out to Bayern.

Rubbing shoulders indeed. A fine European history.

Plovdiv

Bulgaria. Thanks to David Coleman or Brian Moore for European nights on the radio in the 70's and 80's, colourful teams from the corners of Europe filled my footballing life as a kid. AZ Alkmaar, Honved, St.Etienne, er Aberdeen...

I'll bet a few on here were at the FA cup match when we played Coventry at home and lost 1:0. Keeper John Platt miss-threw straight to Tommy Hutchison who promptly notched the winner. They were a top flight team then, really looked forward to and fancied us to beat them at the time. Early eighties was it?

Bulgaria. Thanks to David Coleman or Brian Moore for European nights on the radio in the 70's and 80's, colourful teams from the corners of Europe filled my footballing life as a kid. AZ Alkmaar, Honved, St.Etienne, er Aberdeen...

I remember being glued to a crackly Radio 2 commentary from somewhere in Europe on a Wednesday night as a kid.

Hearing reports of Irish team Crusaders losing 11-0.

West Ham's run to the Cup Winners Cup final which saw them beating Den Haag along the way was my first memory. Being able to see the final on telly in May when they lost 4-2 to Anderlecht a real treat.

Liverpool's run to the European Cup Final the following year when they beat St Etienne 3-2 on aggregate as super sub Fairclough scored the third in a 3-1 win at Anfield. It seemed so certain that he would. Even though they'd have lost on away goals without it. The excitement of discovering the highlights on Sportsnight -and being allowed to stay up and watch it.

All nothing to do with Coventry. But innocent and happy growing up memories triggered!

That was Norwich City

Here's hoping, Portsmouth was a great away day.