Deluded Coventry Fans.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet a few on here were at the FA cup match when we played Coventry at home and lost 1:0. Keeper John Platt miss-threw straight to Tommy Hutchison who promptly notched the winner. They were a top flight team then, really looked forward to and fancied us to beat them at the time. Early eighties was it?

I remember it purely because I didn't go and had wanted to. Strange to dwell on such things for 35 years!*

*- s***, 35 years. I'll be dead soon at this rate

I'll bet a few on here were at the FA cup match when we played Coventry at home and lost 1:0. Keeper John Platt miss-threw straight to Tommy Hutchison who promptly notched the winner. They were a top flight team then, really looked forward to and fancied us to beat them at the time. Early eighties was it?

I was there. He was defending the chaddy end goal?

Platt was a cracking young prospect, but was never quite the same after that injury. Didn't Big Ron stand on one of organs?

Bulgaria. Thanks to David Coleman or Brian Moore for European nights on the radio in the 70's and 80's, colourful teams from the corners of Europe filled my footballing life as a kid. AZ Alkmaar, Honved, St.Etienne, er Aberdeen...

Radio Two, second half commentaries. Two St Etienne games stick in my memory. One where they beat United and there was a riot. The other where Liverpool came from behind to win at Anfield.

No, I personally wouldn't. But I can see the terribly made point they're making.

As a Latics fan you look at their forum and it looks like an overreaction to a defeat against what is in fact a good Latics team. And it looks like a slight.

The reality for Coventry fans is that their club has been in a horrible decline for a number of years. Their owners are a complete and utter shambles and the club was taken away from them for over a year. Just as it looked like things were on the way up a rugby team from another city buy the ground they've wanted to own for so long and effectively consigned them to a future of insecurity.

And then on the pitch they're dreadful too. Since going back to the Ricoh they've been utterly woeful and are getting turned over every week and facing relegation to the fourth division. It probably feels like a new nadir each week.

Their club is an absolute mess on and off the pitch and they're unhappy about it. I can see how this would have been unforeseeable to many of them when they were flying high not so long ago.

How is much of the above any different to our decline and what Oldham have been through in the last 30 years. I have a friend who is a Cov fan. I text him and said whats his excuse? His reply reads as follows:

"Owners have stripped us bare and left us with a squad full of kids and piss poor loanees, and the fact its only justa squad leaves us without cover for positions when we have injuries like we do at the moment. If thats not a reason I dont know what is"

I replied with "Welcome to league one where 90% of clubs have the same issue so not a valid excuse"

Its not nice but its reality when you are down at this level, there are no "big" clubs. Just lots of clubs with potential

I think Cov fans are deluded, I remember the first game they got relegated and the arrogance about going straight back up.

They have no right, like countless others.

But if you look at it from their viewpoint, we are a piddling little club, on gates of 3-4K, and have been struggling in this god forsaken league for a generation. Being thrashed by us is a measure of how far they have fallen. I don't think they have fallen as far as they will yet... So get used to it Cov fans. But they are deluded if they think they should be beating us. Lifetime FFS. Generation yes, Lifetime. Sod off.

I do laugh at the occasional delusions of grandeur by some of our fans when we play the likes of Crawley, Fleetwood etc, which is identical to the Cov phrase. Surely no one can say who'd have thought any more, we could be playing Forest Green Rovers or someother such team like Stockport....:-)

Weren't they in the top flight for a period covering four decades? They were quite pioneering under Jimmy Hill. I always like the pitch that had circles rather then stripes.

That said, they were never 'big' in the same way as Villa, Everton, Leeds or City. They did win the FA cup, and they had a reputation at times for good football. But never a big club in terms of attendances or winning masses of trophies. Depends how you define big (queue the Freudian inspired innuendos).