Hardest game on this run... Bradford

However, I won't be heading into any game expecting three points.

I will be!

Based on the facts that

1- we are at home

2- we are the form team in the division.

3- man for man we have a better team than Bradford do at this moment in time.

A win is far from guaranteed Bradford will make it difficult for us but right now I have confidence in this team and expect them to get 3 points from this game.

Edited by GlossopLatic

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough game saturday, can't see it being a walk over similar to Coventry. They do play hoofball which can be effective but like someone else said this seemed to work better for them with hansen knocking down to Wells and I haven't really been impressed with Mclean for them so far (who I would have liked to see us sign - I know we were linked with him).

We are however the more technically gifted side and so far I'm yet to see a better side at knocking the ball about than us (maybe posh) and on our day we have enough to beat any team in this league.

I think would bring Winchester in For Dayton for this one but keep the rest the same, 1 because I think (Almost) a full rest on tuesday will have done him a world of good as he looked knakard at Chesterfield and 2 although he Winchester isn't the bulkiest I think Dayton will get bullied by Bradford. They are a big physical side so Jabo may be useful in battling/getting the ball down and bringing others into play. Save Poleon for the last 20 when we are hopefully ahead - his pace should cause them all sorts of problems when they are a bit leggy towards the end.

I said after Chesterfield too I would be happy with a win against Coventry and a point against Bradford - I'm going 1-1 again but I said that for Coventry and was miles off!

I don't think they play hoofball, they can play football but choose the direct route when necessary, we will have to match their work rate and chip away at their centre backs, some openings should appear. Philliskirk could be the key this this game with his movement behind the strikers, he would be my bet to score as he should find some space to work in and have a crack at goal.

I'm a bit concerned about Dieng, but if Elokobi plays will he be 100% fit?

Perhaps Kusunga will switch to centre back for this one, with B Wilson returning at right back?

Edited by BP1960

It's not quite up & under Sunday League Hoofball, but - feck me, it's not far off.

"Direct" does them a compliment.

Its :censored: it up to Hanson, and hope he gets a knock down to McClean or Yeates or Morais.

McCardle, Davies, Routis, Darby...being kind, they're just cloggers.

Organised? Yeah. Drilled? Yeah.

Direct hoofs to Hanson? Feck yeah.

They'll test us with it though. We've not played an ugly, dirty hoof side yet really - be interesting to see how we fair....

Edited by slystallone

their centre back.. McCardle - great in the air, :censored:e on the deck and really really slow at turning! play him the right way we could score a few, play it the wrong way we'll make him look like the gods gift!

I'm amazed he didnt give a penalty away and see red for his wrestle on that young Scottish Lad Sheff United have; Scougal is it?

He picked him up and launched him to the ground.

I hope he tries that with Jabo, and throws his back out...

With their direct style of play, I'd be very tempted to play a big back 4, with Kusunga at RB and Elokobi, if fit, at LB. If Elokobi isn't fit I'd be tempted to play Mellor at LB, but would probably stick with Mills. It's no slight on Mills, he's been better of late than he was at the start of the season, but I think Big George's natural strength could be very useful, especially as LB is arguably his more regular position.

JCH's pace ran them ragged last season, I'd be very tempted to play Poleon and Forte up front and bring Jabo on late on to hold it up as it were.

When playing a big, physical, direct side like Bradford, IMHO there are two ways to go:

1.) Try and match them physically, which is more useful if you think your more physical players are better footballers than theirs, and that I believe is the case.

2.) Go the opposite way and play your quick lithe skilled players and out football them. Arsenal would often come unstuck doing this, especially at set-pieces, as they would be bullied so their more skilled players weren't allowed to show their additional skill.

Johnson will probably not do either and will have found a weakness in their play that I'm not aware of, but that's why he's a professional and I'm only an amateur.

With their direct style of play, I'd be very tempted to play a big back 4, with Kusunga at RB and Elokobi, if fit, at LB. If Elokobi isn't fit I'd be tempted to play Mellor at LB, but would probably stick with Mills. It's no slight on Mills, he's been better of late than he was at the start of the season, but I think Big George's natural strength could be very useful, especially as LB is arguably his more regular position.

JCH's pace ran them ragged last season, I'd be very tempted to play Poleon and Forte up front and bring Jabo on late on to hold it up as it were.

When playing a big, physical, direct side like Bradford, IMHO there are two ways to go:

1.) Try and match them physically, which is more useful if you think your more physical players are better footballers than theirs, and that I believe is the case.

2.) Go the opposite way and play your quick lithe skilled players and out football them. Arsenal would often come unstuck doing this, especially at set-pieces, as they would be bullied so their more skilled players weren't allowed to show their additional skill.

Johnson will probably not do either and will have found a weakness in their play that I'm not aware of, but that's why he's a professional and I'm only an amateur.

Mills will be Left Back, and quite rightly.

He's picked up after a slightly iffy start, and is now playing really well: and - Big George is not fit yet.

LJ mentions on the official site that he's had a set-back, and is again 10 days or so away.

Dreamt last night we beat them 1-0 in what was a pretty dull game. So basically you can all relax now.

Woof.

You dream was a recurrence of the JPT game.

Anyway we won't accept dull games anymore ...LJ out. :wink:

Edited by BP1960

It's not quite up & under Sunday League Hoofball, but - feck me, it's not far off.

"Direct" does them a compliment.

Its :censored: it up to Hanson, and hope he gets a knock down to McClean or Yeates or Morais.

McCardle, Davies, Routis, Darby...being kind, they're just cloggers.

Organised? Yeah. Drilled? Yeah.

Direct hoofs to Hanson? Feck yeah.

They'll test us with it though. We've not played an ugly, dirty hoof side yet really - be interesting to see how we fair....

Darby isn't a clogger. He's a decent RB for this level.

Darby is a clogger, been sent off twice this season and gets booked every other game, another player who loves to smack it as far as the ball will go and hope, pathetic way of playing just glad we don't play like that

He will be hacking Forte down in the first 10 minutes I hope the ref gets on top of them early get a couple in the book and we could have a field day.

We played some :censored:e last season in fairness.

Bradford are pretty direct, but last year they mixed it up rather than it being hoofed.

Check our goals out from tuesday. We pass the ball 90% of the time but 2 of ours on tuesday were from aimless hoofs.

Lower league football will resort to it at some point. We do nip it about, but we are not real madrid.

Im happy with how we are playing, but tomorrow will be much harder than some people think.

We played some :censored:e last season in fairness.

Bradford are pretty direct, but last year they mixed it up rather than it being hoofed.

Check our goals out from tuesday. We pass the ball 90% of the time but 2 of ours on tuesday were from aimless hoofs.

Lower league football will resort to it at some point. We do nip it about, but we are not real madrid.

Im happy with how we are playing, but tomorrow will be much harder than some people think.

Our squad was in transition all through last season right from when we lost Baxter in August. We signed too many loan players and it all got a bit muddled in the middle of the season, saying that I actually thought we tried to play, yes at times we were poor at doing so but we still tried but people will still call that crap anyway because we weren't any good at it.

As for our two aimless long balls, if you mean the two that were hit at Jabo, they are called long passes not aimless hoofs. He didn't have to move apart from just steering the ball where it needed to go, sometimes you do have to knock it long and we did that very well so they are not 'aimless hoofs'

I too am delighted at the football we play and we haven't lost to anybody on possession. I also think tomorrow will be a very tough game but I say that about every team, there are no easy fixtures but I believe we can win the game

Tricky game for the Latics but I think we have enough about us to get all three points, we all know what game Bradford are going to come and play and we need to make sure we don't get dragged in to playing their game, they will be full of confidence from a good away point at Bristol but we will be as equally as confident after the brillaint result on Tuesday night.

I know of a few people who havent been coming to Latics this season who are coming on Saturday and are looking forward to it.. Fingers crossed the football doesnt disappointed

Our squad was in transition all through last season right from when we lost Baxter in August. We signed too many loan players and it all got a bit muddled in the middle of the season, saying that I actually thought we tried to play, yes at times we were poor at doing so but we still tried but people will still call that crap anyway because we weren't any good at it.

As for our two aimless long balls, if you mean the two that were hit at Jabo, they are called long passes not aimless hoofs. He didn't have to move apart from just steering the ball where it needed to go, sometimes you do have to knock it long and we did that very well so they are not 'aimless hoofs'

I too am delighted at the football we play and we haven't lost to anybody on possession. I also think tomorrow will be a very tough game but I say that about every team, there are no easy fixtures but I believe we can win the game

Swindon had more possession.

Darby is a clogger, been sent off twice this season and gets booked every other game, another player who loves to smack it as far as the ball will go and hope, pathetic way of playing just glad we don't play like that

He had 1 yellow this season prior to his red against sheff United.

The second goal is walloped up field to no one by Kusunga. They head it back and Forte does the rest. Its as much a hoofball goal as you will see. (And Im very happy with it)

The first goal is a long ball. I completely agree its a long pass... Exactly the kind of long pass that if Bradford do it, will be described on here by most as a hoof.

- I mentioned on another post how the gpals didnt show how 99% of the game was played by us. We played some great stuff on tuesday.

Far too many santimonious posts on football vs Hoofball... I want to see us win. There is more than one way to skin a cat. The way we have at the moment is working, long may it continue

Edited by pukka

Think you might have upset one or two over on their forum, they've created a thread about this post!

They also think we're far too confident.