FA Cup 1st Round: Vs Leyton Orient (Home)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assume the 16 is the number of live matches for the whole tournament.

Looks like that, with 8 in the first two rounds being moved so that a panel of has-beens in the studio can talk the audience through the games, with live footage of the best bits - another reason why not to attend live football!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

the last thing we want is to draw this match , November was always gonna be a tough month with only one home league game but now as fate would have it we get 3 home games in one week

nov 8 vs Leyton O

nov 11 vs PNE

nov 15 vs Crawley .

we don't want a replay -win or lose please - we already have a lot of games coming up

Liverpool will find someone else to play

Unless my memory is playing tricks , I seem to recall losing to Orient in the cup in about Jan 1986 , we were at rock bottom without a win in 3 months .....but shortly after Paul Jones & Andy Linighan arrived and the good times were about to start.

We lost to them in a replay in the 90's remember watching the highlights they missed a penalty but retook it and scored.

I have a recollection of an embarrassment during our inaugural Premiership season.

Drawn at home against a then 3rd Division side (I think) and they caused an upset with a 1-1 draw. No matter, lightning doesn't strike twice and surely the superior quality of our team would see us progress a second time....

In the end I think we lost 4-1, maybe 4-2.

I recall this was during the very early days of 606 on Radio 5 when it was hosted by Danny Baker and it was more like the irreverent show he now does on Saturday morning (albeit football focused) than the serious moaning-bore-a-thon it is now. Danny Baker had watched the highlights on the TV in the week and had noticed an extremely passionate Latics fan located on the terraces behind the goal who's physical reactions (arms waving, jumping up and down, running up and down the terrace to admonish the team) captivated him.

He was convinced that this gentleman was the epitome of a football fan and should be found and made to stand for Prime Minister.....don't think the individual was ever found. Very funny phone in though.

There is the question of how many fronts we should be / are capable of fighting on this season.

Going out of the League Cup at the first round is probably helpful, but given our resources are limited compared to others and are less capable of responding to players getting injured / loss of form (though we do have the best squad we have had for a few years) do we want to be involved?

We have another 30 league games to play plus potential JPT and FA Cup. The "Pinch Me" season was ultimately a failure in terms of absolute success as we ended up playing 65 games across all competitions; the following year early cup exits helped us to focus on the league.

A money making 3rd or even 4th round FA tie would be great fun, but that plus a (hopefully) run to the latter stages of the JPT could see an additional 10 matches for the squad to negotiate.

7th, plus two money making FA Cup ties, plus a JPT final appearance OR lose the next 2 cup games and finish 4th? Of course the greedy person in me wants a JPT trophy, a Play-Off win and a Premiership scalp or two :-)

HHmppphhh. I was waiting for this to see how it slotted into my 36th birthday weekend and now we don't know if it's on Sunday or not. Arse nuggets.

:censored: off you are younger than me!!!!!????

Big paper round was it? Or alcoholism kicked in at a remarkably young age?

Anyone choosing the JPT game over this one needs their hard drive examining.

In part I agree with you. The idea that 10 years ago a JPT (or LDV or whatever it was called) tie would take precedance over an FA Cup game would seem ludicrous.

Perhaps its a measure of how far our expectations have fallen, but I can understand an interest in the compeition.

We have a fighting chance of actually winning it

It gives us a chance to play at Wembley

The structure of the competition means that you get local derbies (rather than Orient)

In some respects it is a shame that a traditional competition is devalued in some eyes, but its not different to PL clubs being more interested in finishing 4th rather than winning the FA or League Cup (I recall Gary Lineker saying he wasn't sure that telling the grandkids that he came 4th a few times and was knocked out in the Champions League early doors was better than a few winners medals from the Cups).