FA Cup 1st Round: Vs Leyton Orient (Home)

I have a recollection of an embarrassment during our inaugural Premiership season.

Drawn at home against a then 3rd Division side (I think) and they caused an upset with a 1-1 draw. No matter, lightning doesn't strike twice and surely the superior quality of our team would see us progress a second time....

In the end I think we lost 4-1, maybe 4-2.

I recall this was during the very early days of 606 on Radio 5 when it was hosted by Danny Baker and it was more like the irreverent show he now does on Saturday morning (albeit football focused) than the serious moaning-bore-a-thon it is now. Danny Baker had watched the highlights on the TV in the week and had noticed an extremely passionate Latics fan located on the terraces behind the goal who's physical reactions (arms waving, jumping up and down, running up and down the terrace to admonish the team) captivated him.

He was convinced that this gentleman was the epitome of a football fan and should be found and made to stand for Prime Minister.....don't think the individual was ever found. Very funny phone in though.

4-2 AET game memorable as our 2nd goal that took the game into Extra Time was Roger the Dodger Palmer's last ever competitive goal for us.

Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLrhw55KxMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38H5kQMRobk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh, not the best of tie's but at least we are at home.

Club have to price this right, £22 could see less than 2000, £10 could see up to 4000 and extra pie/drink/programme sales.

I disagree. The so called hard core on here couldn't give a flying about this fixture, why should the 'fringe' supporters?

I have a recollection of an embarrassment during our inaugural Premiership season.

Drawn at home against a then 3rd Division side (I think) and they caused an upset with a 1-1 draw. No matter, lightning doesn't strike twice and surely the superior quality of our team would see us progress a second time....

Sorry need to check some facts.

Edited by laticsrblue

I recall this was during the very early days of 606 on Radio 5 when it was hosted by Danny Baker and it was more like the irreverent show he now does on Saturday morning (albeit football focused) than the serious moaning-bore-a-thon it is now. Danny Baker had watched the highlights on the TV in the week and had noticed an extremely passionate Latics fan located on the terraces behind the goal who's physical reactions (arms waving, jumping up and down, running up and down the terrace to admonish the team) captivated him.

He was convinced that this gentleman was the epitome of a football fan and should be found and made to stand for Prime Minister.....don't think the individual was ever found. Very funny phone in though.

That was my mate Myles, the founder of OASIS. From memory only I think I told the story in my book back in the day.

Edited by Dave_Og

Not sure what constitues "hard core" but as I long time ST holder I think that currently Preston in the JPT is a more enticing prospect - though will go to both.

If we had drawn a minow, home/away, or even a local derby against a local side in League 1/2 the anticipation for this game would be higher....but Orient? Come on it is a bit on the dull side.

Come the day I will be up for it, and a good result (or even a draw and the second round gives us something interesting) and the Cup magic will be there.

That's the game I was referring to earlier on on here the cup tie in the 90's remember them having a defender called Steve Castle

HHmppphhh. I was waiting for this to see how it slotted into my 36th birthday weekend and now we don't know if it's on Sunday or not. Arse nuggets.

Confirmed on Saturday and at only £15 it'll feel like your birthday.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20141029-fa-cup-round-one-tie-confirmed-2049370.aspx