Come and back the lads - Chron

Interesting article in the Chron today, the board are dissapointed in the crowds........again.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/88687/come-and-back-the-lads

On the one hand i agree, i thought we would have a couple of hundred more against Bradford, but the way i read this is they expected a LOT more than actually turned up. Its going to take more than a good run before we are above 5k home fans after 7 or 8 years of dross at home....

If we are still up there and challenging in Feb then maybe we will see a lot more fans turning up, before that against the run of the mill clubs we will always be struggling to break 4k home fans IMO

Also, maybe i am reading to much into it but I am not sure the tone of "Barry/Article" is worded in a positive way that will win over the exciles.

ie - We are wondering: is the message getting through? *

- But these fans suffer within the context of a town’s population that appears to not want to get behind its own team.

Valid points but i am not sure with the way they come accross in the article....

Edited by NIKI1234

22 quid is too much to pay for a club like ours. A floating fan is not going to pay that when they could spend that on a few drinks in the pub whilst watching City or United on the tele.

£18.00 should be the top price they have to pay, it's only 4 quid less but people would be a lot more receptive to it when they can get change out of a 20. They will still spend that extra bit of cash, just on other things like programme, strike it lucky, maybe a drink.

I think the crowds for the next few games are going to be very low, we are playing great football but people aren't going to see it at the current prices.

22 quid is too much to pay for a club like ours. A floating fan is not going to pay that when they could spend that on a few drinks in the pub whilst watching City or United on the tele.

£18.00 should be the top price they have to pay, it's only 4 quid less but people would be a lot more receptive to it when they can get change out of a 20. They will still spend that extra bit of cash, just on other things like programme, strike it lucky, maybe a drink.

I think the crowds for the next few games are going to be very low, we are playing great football but people aren't going to see it at the current prices.

But a lot of other clubs at our level charge more than us and still get better crowds than we do, some in areas just as deprived areas as Oldham (Port Vale, Notts County, Doncaster). The only way ticket prices are going to be lowered is if every club took a stance and charged a flat rate.

We've spoke about this in numerous threads over recent weeks and I'll say the same thing. If we asked every fan who no longer goes why they don't anymore I bet we'll get a thousand different answers.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I agree, the december home game, if we still are playing like this should have a 1 off price drop. £5 - no concessions.

Its vs Yeovil, they'll bring sod all. Get 6500 / 7000 home fans in.

I think it's fair to say the tone of Barry's letter has been summed up by pretty much everyone in the other thread as an embarrassment, we as fans can do our bit to get people down.

Spread the word round your work round your local at school or college about how well we are doing we have not just a team but a squad which is playing the best football for several years and a young visionary manager who can get the best out of them.

But remember at the end of the day people should come down only because they want too.

I think it's fair to say the tone of Barry's letter has been summed up by pretty much everyone in the other thread as an embarrassment, we as fans can do our bit to get people down.

Spread the word round your work round your local at school or college about how well we are doing we have not just a team but a squad which is playing the best football for several years and a young visionary manager who can get the best out of them.

But remember at the end of the day people should come down only because they want too.

Correct. We are the best people to spread a positive message. A quick glance at the tables doesn't tell the whole story. The odd extra 50 fans can soon become 500 or a 1000 if things go well and they see something they enjoy watching.

^This a thousand times

Correct. We are the best people to spread a positive message. A quick glance at the tables doesn't tell the whole story. The odd extra 50 fans can soon become 500 or a 1000 if things go well and they see something they enjoy watching.

People I know who haven't seen the Latics this season are telling me they have heard it's a good team and will now be having a look.

I think we will find the crowds steadily growing as the word gets round, if in the top 6 come January and a signing is made to capture the imagination the 7,000 + could become a reality.

Addditional voluntary contributions.. O4U would like to share is wealth, he has agreed to buy all everyone pies and beer at the next home game plus goody bags containing sherbet dips for the Athleticos!!!

:)

Edited by Lukers1

Isn't he 'supposed to' offer a fans' voice on the board?

From what I can see, he just offers his own and licks Corney's rim in the press.

He might do loads of sterling work, can't say much if any of it is tangible to me though.

And he is only really doing Corney's bidding for him when he comes out with :censored:e like yesterday, not sure it tallies up with being the 'fans rep' however.

I've no idea what he does.

A minimum, one assumes, is to attend board meetings and put across the views that fans have. One assumes he attends board meetings. One would like to think he puts across a range of views that fans have. There is an argument that the official Trust duties cease there, although doubtless being able to influence beyond the boardroom is important - especially as you can be heard and ignored in a board meeting.

I think it's fair to say Barry seems to spend a lot of his time at Boundary Park and it appears to me that he's used as an unpaid (based on one of his owtb comments) member of staff, liaising with other clubs and police around match day arrangements etc. He may enjoy this, and may feel that it helps him to influence goings on at the club for the wider benefit of supporters. Indeed, this may be exactly what it achieves. The counter view, which in my opinion has some credence, is that he has turned native. Stockholm Syndrome if you like. Maybe he's too much on the inside to recognise what those of us on the outside would like (albeit there will be conflicting views as to what "we" want).

I'm frustrated by the tone of yesterday's Chronicle article. I think most fans want bigger crowds. I'm also completely certain that slapping the stay always with a wet fish and demanding they attend isn't going to have the desired effect.

It's long been said (Leeslover) that reduced admission prices are best offered when things are on the up. The Crawley game looks perfectly positioned in the calendar for this. A rallying cry of "we want you to share in the fun and it's cheap" is a pretty good starting point. Whether that be free admission if you buy a Preston ticket or a fiver on the gate for all or whatever is for others to decide. But the time is ripe. I've bought a lot of season tickets since the Hillstones Developments subsidised games a few years back.

It's long been said (Leeslover) that reduced admission prices are best offered when things are on the up. The Crawley game looks perfectly positioned in the calendar for this. A rallying cry of "we want you to share in the fun and it's cheap" is a pretty good starting point. Whether that be free admission if you buy a Preston ticket or a fiver on the gate for all or whatever is for others to decide. But the time is ripe. I've bought a lot of season tickets since the Hillstones Developments subsidised games a few years back.

I'm not sure what would be more depressing - the inevitably low crowd against Crawley at normal prices or a marginally bigger one at reduced prices.

Corney seemed pretty "meh" about the attendancies in his interview last week and generally seemed very positive about the direction the club's moving. I wonder how pleased he is with Barry for contradicting that message??

Corney seemed pretty "meh" about the attendancies in his interview last week and generally seemed very positive about the direction the club's moving. I wonder how pleased he is with Barry for contradicting that message??

After a decade Corney has learned to bite his tongue. Sometimes.

I'd suggest Barry has repeated what's been said privately by Corney.