Barry Owen Chron Comments

Barry,

You do not know me, nor do I know you. I have read many an opinionated post about you from fellow fans but have yet never formed my own opinion of you and your role within the club however, you comments in the Chron today have now led me to form an opinion...

I am one of those fans that your patronising comments in the Chron seem to be having a 'pop' at for not paying on the gate for the Bradford city game after a good run of 13 games unbeaten this season. I wanted to give you some insight into my world (and by the looks of it the views of many other 'fans') and how despite what is looking like a very promising run of form it is still not enough after 20 years of poor value to get me through the gate for every home game.

I am a 28 year old man recently married and my lifestyle has changed somewhat since the heady days of the top league and cup runs when I was only a wee nipper. I was a regular attendee to all home and many away day fixtures up until around the age of 25 years old mainly due to the fact that other lifestyle choices were presented to me on Saturday afternoons and after 15 years of disappointment I succumbed to playing Saturday league football myself which I found more self satisfying and easier on the wallet. This is now the challenge that the club face...many a fan have found other lifestyle weekend choices and activities which represent either better value for money or provide more self satisfaction over the last 20 years of poor performance at OAFC. My lifestyle has therefore changed from scribing every home fixture onto my Calendar to only watching OAFC when there is nothing better to do on my Saturday afternoon and my own football season is over.

Now then, I am comfortable that my attitude, in the opinion of fellow common OAFC fans may be seen as poor and unsupportive. However, you, as the fans representative should be aware of the different issues and circumstances that are presented to ALL OAFC fans to understand that in the light of day what is a short run of good performance against the backdrop of 20 years of poor performance and economic despair isn't going to be enough to magic 20% increases on gates overnight. Nor are your parent like comments in the Chron going to encourage the common fan to get off their backside and pay on the gate but (in my opinion) are in fact only going to alienate us further.

''But these fans suffer within the context of a town’s population that appears to not want to get behind its own team.
As a board of directors, we are very disappointed that with the side playing its best football for years, we only saw a slight improvement in attendance at SportsDirect.com Park for the recent Bradford game.''

I still consider myself to be a fan that gets behind my team that I have supported for many a year, maybe not as much now as I once did in the monetary and attendance form but my passion and desire for the club to succeed is as strong as it ever was. I therefore challenge you as the fans representative to be more open minded and considerate in your ways to engage with the common fan like me and understand what has led to us no longer turning up every week...not to shoot me down when I don't pay on the gate for one game, but to praise those that attend that extra game that they would have otherwise missed last month.

Yes we only saw a 'slight improvement' against Bradford but I can assure you that slight improvement shouldn't be dismissed and talked down but should be praised and encouraged. It has taken a run of 13 games unbeaten after 20 years of apathy to get that slight improvement and I assure you it is going to take a run of equal measure again to increase further to encourage more people to change their life choices on a Saturday afternoon. People work hard and time free time is limited and building the trust back to get fans to spend their hard earned at OAFC is going to take time, my advice is that you should respect that as a fans representative and be appreciative of the small few that are gradually giving more back to the club rather than focussing on those that have yet to be convinced.

Things are looking good for once both on and off the pitch and any fan no matter whether they pay on the gate or pay a subscription to latics player or simply look out for the OAFC score in the newspaper should be undermined.

Yours faithfully,

Ross

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry,

You do not know me, nor do I know you. I have read many an opinionated post about you from fellow fans but have yet never formed my own opinion of you and your role within the club however, you comments in the Chron today have now led me to form an opinion...

I am one of those fans that your patronising comments in the Chron seem to be having a 'pop' at for not paying on the gate for the Bradford city game after a good run of 13 games unbeaten this season. I wanted to give you some insight into my world (and by the looks of it the views of many other 'fans') and how despite what is looking like a very promising run of form it is still not enough after 20 years of poor value to get me through the gate for every home game.

I am a 28 year old man recently married and my lifestyle has changed somewhat since the heady days of the top league and cup runs when I was only a wee nipper. I was a regular attendee to all home and many away day fixtures up until around the age of 25 years old mainly due to the fact that other lifestyle choices were presented to me on Saturday afternoons and after 15 years of disappointment I succumbed to playing Saturday league football myself which I found more self satisfying and easier on the wallet. This is now the challenge that the club face...many a fan have found other lifestyle weekend choices and activities which represent either better value for money or provide more self satisfaction over the last 20 years of poor performance at OAFC. My lifestyle has therefore changed from scribing every home fixture onto my Calendar to only watching OAFC when there is nothing better to do on my Saturday afternoon and my own football season is over.

Now then, I am comfortable that my attitude, in the opinion of fellow common OAFC fans may be seen as poor and unsupportive. However, you, as the fans representative should be aware of the different issues and circumstances that are presented to ALL OAFC fans to understand that in the light of day what is a short run of good performance against the backdrop of 20 years of poor performance and economic despair isn't going to be enough to magic 20% increases on gates overnight. Nor are your parent like comments in the Chron going to encourage the common fan to get off their backside and pay on the gate but (in my opinion) are in fact only going to alienate us further.

''But these fans suffer within the context of a town’s population that appears to not want to get behind its own team.

As a board of directors, we are very disappointed that with the side playing its best football for years, we only saw a slight improvement in attendance at SportsDirect.com Park for the recent Bradford game.''

I still consider myself to be a fan that gets behind my team that I have supported for many a year, maybe not as much now as I once did in the monetary and attendance form but my passion and desire for the club to succeed is as strong as it ever was. I therefore challenge you as the fans representative to be more open minded and considerate in your ways to engage with the common fan like me and understand what has led to us no longer turning up every week...not to shoot me down when I don't pay on the gate for one game, but to praise those that attend that extra game that they would have otherwise missed last month.

Yes we only saw a 'slight improvement' against Bradford but I can assure you that slight improvement shouldn't be dismissed and talked down but should be praised and encouraged. It has taken a run of 13 games unbeaten after 20 years of apathy to get that slight improvement and I assure you it is going to take a run of equal measure again to increase further to encourage more people to change their life choices on a Saturday afternoon. People work hard and time free time is limited and building the trust back to get fans to spend their hard earned at OAFC is going to take time, my advice is that you should respect that as a fans representative and be appreciative of the small few that are gradually giving more back to the club rather than focussing on those that have yet to be convinced.

Things are looking good for once both on and off the pitch and any fan no matter whether they pay on the gate or pay a subscription to latics player or simply look out for the OAFC score in the newspaper should be undermined.

Yours faithfully,

Ross

Well Said.

This board really has been far too sensible and rational over this, where's the fans calling for Barry's head to be mounted on a spike outside the former club shop?

Barry has really managed to unite the fans on this one, not in the way he maybe intended we all think he has gone about this the wrong way but,he has united the fans opinion on this.

Barry,

Yours faithfully,

Ross

Many fans are wary of these surges in form thinking the bubble will burst and it's back to mediocrity again.

A win at Bristol City would make some disbelievers sit up and be ideal to attract better crowds for the forthcoming home games.

It is most important when winning back fans success is maintained, otherwise they will drift away again.

This team looks good enough to reach the play offs at least - if it can kept together and a couple more added who will convince fans we mean business this time.

Barry has really managed to unite the fans on this one, not in the way he maybe intended we all think he has gone about this the wrong way but,he has united the fans opinion on this.

Barry "The Lightning Rod" Owen. We have little to moan about at the moment so Barry makes himself known again in order for us fans to unite against a common source and absorb any anger that remains.

All part of LJ's cunning plan...

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Barry "The Lightning Rod" Owen. We have little to moan about at the moment so Barry makes himself known again in order for us fans to unite against a common source and absorb any anger that remains.

All part of LJ's cunning plan...

What are the stats for attendances and Trust membership since Barry took over?

What are the stats for attendances and Trust membership since Barry took over?

Think the attendance stats are on the club website, trust membership numbers has been raised by another fan at the last meeting and I am hoping for an answer at the next meeting planned on 17th NOV....tba on this one

Edited by underdog

Barry,

Yours faithfully,

Ross

I appreciate what you say and understand that others are in the same situation. However, if people do not come back we will have no money to add players in January, which may make the difference between playoffs or not. When we played Liverpool and Everton away from home, 6000 turned up for tickets, thus giving half their money to the Premiership big boys. The fact is our fan base is no longer able to sustain a Championship side and we will be condemned to L1/2 football.

I appreciate what you say and understand that others are in the same situation. However, if people do not come back we will have no money to add players in January, which may make the difference between playoffs or not. When we played Liverpool and Everton away from home, 6000 turned up for tickets, thus giving half their money to the Premiership big boys. The fact is our fan base is no longer able to sustain a Championship side and we will be condemned to L1/2 football.

I agree. The harsh reality is that if the gates and revenue do not increase quickly there will be no justification in continuing investment in the team or keeping it together. I do not understand how you can supposedly want and expect to have a successful Oldham Athletic football club but are not willing to help it. If you do not think it is value for money and do not come to matches or donate to player share then you cannot expect it to continue to exist for your own personal whims.

I agree. The harsh reality is that if the gates and revenue do not increase quickly there will be no justification in continuing investment in the team or keeping it together. I do not understand how you can supposedly want and expect to have a successful Oldham Athletic football club but are not willing to help it. If you do not think it is value for money and do not come to matches or donate to player share then you cannot expect it to continue to exist for your own personal whims.

So do we get assurances the team wont be broken up in January and the summer then if crowds go up say 500-1000 per game ? Of course we wont, only last week in the Chron the manager was quoted as saying he has replacements lined up if we have to move one or two on in January it hardly sends out the message we are building for the future, if 400k is offered for any of the first team in January they will be off dont worry about that.

I agree to some extent.

But the club need to realise they need to be patient. People will not just all flock back. It's a slow process. Just like getting to a point where, after 400 years in this division, we're even looking half decent, has been a slow process.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Alternatively, arsey, criticisey, put people offy!

Edited by maddog

Look at the players we have lost over the last 3 years or so and the quality of them. Smith, Baxter, Tarky, wes, Harkins, JCH and whoever else. Now look at where we are on the field now. If we lose players, yeah it isn't ideal but i fully trust LJ and the board to replace them with equal if not better players.

Look at the players we have lost over the last 3 years or so and the quality of them. Smith, Baxter, Tarky, wes, Harkins, JCH and whoever else. Now look at where we are on the field now. If we lose players, yeah it isn't ideal but i fully trust LJ and the board to replace them with equal if not better players.

Thats all well and good but you will find the teams with real ambition will retain their best players and look to add to them in January not move them on at the first sign of interest, the manager has done a fantastic job at recruiting but at some stage the well may run dry.

I agree to some extent.

But the club need to realise they need to be patient. People will not just all flock back. It's a slow process. Just like getting to a point where, after 400 years in this division, we're even looking half decent, has been a slow procesPs.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Alternatively, arsey, criticisey, put people offy!

Absolutely....When Big Joe came along we didnt have à pot to piss in....crowds were similar to what they are now and for a few seasons we were dreadful. All of a sudden everything seemed to click , we started winning football matches and albeit gradually the crowds increased....it didnt happen overnight and it won't this time.

If we win Saturday people will sit up and take notice if we lose then we have to go on another run.

Barry Owen has supported this club long enough to know what Oldham folk are all about and should have kept his frustrations to himself!

I asked on the playershare boost thread last week how I could sign up online and didn't get an answer...I know paying on the gate is the biggest way of supporting but I only have Latics Player subscription and pay on the gate every 5 him games or so at the mo...the unbeaten run has probably made that every 4 games now and signing up to plsyershare...

My point is people will be taking notice and starting to dig a but deeper slowly but surely...not just turning up on a Saturday when they probably have other commitments these days!

I asked on the playershare boost thread last week how I could sign up online and didn't get an answer...I know paying on the gate is the biggest way of supporting but I only have Latics Player subscription and pay on the gate every 5 him games or so at the mo...the unbeaten run has probably made that every 4 games now and signing up to plsyershare...

My point is people will be taking notice and starting to dig a but deeper slowly but surely...not just turning up on a Saturday when they probably have other commitments these days!

PlayerShare standing order details here:

http://www.trustoldham.co.uk/latics-playershare/

You should get able to set it up via online banking in a couple of minutes.

Alternatively use PayPal:

Donations can be made by PayPal to playershare@laticsplayershare.co.uk

As far as i am concerned Barry getting a freebie ( if he does ) is outweighed by the work he does for the club.

The fact is, all of us share his frustration that there are not more people attending the home matches but as mentioned previously, it will take time and a sustained run of good results and a lofty league position for this to happen.

As far as i am concerned Barry getting a freebie ( if he does ) is outweighed by the work he does for the club.

The fact is, all of us share his frustration that there are not more people attending the home matches but as mentioned previously, it will take time and a sustained run of good results and a lofty league position for this to happen.

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys how many people go to the games, if the club are then they should do something about it rather than just sitting on their hands moaning.

Just out of interest and this won't directly or even indirectly affect our crowds, so probably in the wrong thread altogether....Maybe!

What are the OWTB members thoughts on this. Do you think if that OAFC had someone working within the English FA after being invited to do so, would OAFC be in a good position to have listening ear's in the power establishment? and would this be a great thing to have?

Just out of interest and this won't directly or even indirectly affect our crowds, so probably in the wrong thread altogether....Maybe!

What are the OWTB members thoughts on this. Do you think if that OAFC had someone working within the English FA after being invited to do so, would OAFC be in a good position to have listening ear's in the power establishment? and would this be a great thing to have?

Alan Hardy was incredibly close to the FA, to the extent he now works for them! I believe Barry took on some of that responsibility for a while also, but I await to be corrected on that?

I agree though, that's probably a tangential topic to this which is more about Barry's reprimanding of the people he supposedly speaks for. Barry works hard for the club (the luxury of financial stability and being retired is providing him the time and means to do so) and I would never look to devalue that. He gets his free tickets to games, but I certainly don't oppose that - and I know he personally worked with the club to reduce the volume of free tickets that were being handed out to friends, family and so forth to ensure people were fairly paying their way. Again I am not seeking to devalue the work he does in many regards.

But that does not excuse his complete lack of support for the fans. He's simply not our voice any more, he's the clubs. And when speaking for the club, as evidenced by yesterday's fiasco, he is truly awful at it.