Barry Owen Poll

Fans Rep  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Should Barry Owen be made to conside his position as the fans voice on the board?

Top post - I just don't get what was said that was so wrong. Granted it was worded poorly but the gist of what he said was an honest expression of how the board feels at the moment.

They need to do something about it then, just expecting people to turn up en masse off the back of a few good results will only lead to continued disppointment.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cos nobody really is arsed.....the only time youll be needed is if there is a threat of admin....things look rosy compared to 10 yesrs ago...and come on,if we did go bust what could you do apart from being part of a larger committee to oversee the sale of the club....no offence but the

trust arent needed right now

Nobodies arsed but there's 4 threads been opened in the last 2 days?

Guest Scratch2000uk

I'm sure Barry's doing a grand job as a board director, At being a Trust chairman? terrible. PR? absolutely :censored:e. I suppose to some. "one out of threee aint bad", although Meatloaf may beg to differ.

If I'm not wrong, then talk of voting for a new chairman/fans rep at the AGM is incorrect. IIRC the constitution allows for members to vote on whether trust directors are elected/re-elected etc. But the voting regarding who should hold the seat on the board as the fans rep is for those elected directors only - not a case of every member of the trust gets a vote.

As such, unless Barry gets the boot from the trust board completely (I'm aware that some would like this!) then chances are he'll continue to hold the position.

And I think votes at previous AGMs have only included the votes of those members present - I don't think people have been able to mail in votes (as an example) since the very first elections for the board which I helped organise back in the Dowie years. This should be allowed (may be mandated??) by the constitution but it's been a while.

This is tough one...up to a few months ago I'd say the process needs an overhaul.

However after attending a few trust oldham meetings I can see how Barry has made himself invaluable with regards to his relationship with both owner and club to an extent that if said owner said enough and walked away, then Barry at least with the support of the trust members could take over seamlessly until an alternative source is found.

That relationship has obviously had it's ups and downs and had to be worked on to the extent where transparency and access tothe clubs daily workings is available to the trust.

Is it a case of maybe another role/revised role/ new fans rep but keeping Barry is a position where we have and he has worked on that relationship with S.C?

It needs some serious consideration...but whoever the rep is, for me, it's someone who can maybe does not work full time and can cope with outside the usual working hours too.

Individually I don't have the answer. Or a clear thought process to work this either. I have no idea where to start.

Edited by underdog

Barry to just simply become a board member and continue using the experience he's undoubtedly gained.

Someone else to become the Trust's fans representative on the board in a massively scaled down role that someone with a job and no public sector pension could feasibly devote a few hours a week to.

Chair Trust meetings, liaise with supporters, attend board meetings, represent fans views, report back.

Maybe even write a 2 year maximum term into the constitution so those who want a go can have one .

Lets be honest, none of us really know the full extent of barry's work at the club. That being said he's clearly gained a lot of experience which is of paramount importance to the trust. A single role of fans rep as a sort of sidekick to barry could work, but then again if only 12 people turn up to the trusts agm, why do loads of people believe their views are not being taken into account. If you go to trust meetings im pretty sure your opinion would be listened to and taken on board.

On a second note if you believe you could do a better job than barry, join the trust and work from there.

Edited by doctor evil

Let's get one thing right here......I have absolutely no doubt that Barry may have taken the role on (12 YEARS AGO!!!) with the full intent to be the 'fans voice' and to get our point across.........12 years is a hell of a long time and it's clear his intentions have changed and is far more 'corporate' than a fan.

Why else would he put himself up for election as the League 1 Rep with the FA on 2 separate occasions in recent seasons?

Mind you judging by the votes received he's about as popular with the league as he is on here!

Lets be honest, none of us really know the full extent of barry's work at the club. That being said he's clearly gained a lot of experience which is of paramount importance to the trust. A single role of fans rep as a sort of sidekick to barry could work, but then again if only 12 people turn up to the trusts agm, why do loads of people believe their views are not being taken into account. If you go to trust meetings im pretty sure your opinion would be listened to and taken on board.

On a second note if you believe you could do a better job than barry, join the trust and work from there.

The 'change from within' cry goes up every time he puts his foot in it - fact is that most people have no more than a passing interest in the Trust and haven't got the desire/knowledge/means/time to get involved.

As HB says above and others have said in the past, the role seems to have morphed into this 6 days a week position when it needn't be.

Communications do seem to be getting better(slowly) with the new people getting on board, for me Owen should now do the decent thing and stand aside from Trust duties to allow a fresh voice to be heard.

If the chairman of the Trust role/spokesman and the 'fan on the board' position were different individuals would this work for people?

Just interested in views.

I think that is the jist..personally, I feel to lose Barry's knowledge on the running of the club would be a kick in the gnads and set us back eons

However I do feel that there is or should be a new role, an intermediary perhaps that solely deals with fans questions/concerns/ideas

A role that can bridge the chasim....there is a step missing...communication with yourself and Chris is helping but maybe a clearer direct route, reps in each stand like we have discussed too. To Be seen about on match days....even if it's some posters like the playershare ones up and more visible too

Small steps but correct ones.....on a personal note I am in the RRE and will be available most matches now near the tuck shop up to 10 mins pre Match and for 10 mins at half time.come say hello

Eons in what though?

Like Pine Villains says, what is the Trusts actual purpose during these reasonably stable times?

Apologies I was being a tad dramatic as I've had a little drinksy sat here in a Halloween costume scaring the kids by getting the elderly dog to lick them to death at my door.

We would be set back a few years....what are the trust doing? Good question...I know myself and from Chris hill's answers on other threads that they are working on issues but that they just don't advertise every single issues I suppose.

Where I work they came up with a concept of "you said, we did...." Mainly around students but maybe the trust should advertise more what they have done, doing, working on.....and advertise it too......you said, we did.

Edited by underdog

Apologies I was being a tad dramatic as I've had a little drinksy sat here in a Halloween costume scaring the kids by getting the elderly dog to lick them to death at my door.

We would be set back a few years....what are the trust doing? Good question...I know myself and from Chris hill's answers on other threads that they are working on issues but that they just don't advertise every single issues I suppose.

Where I work they came up with a concept of "you said, we did...." Mainly around students but maybe the trust should advertise more what they have done, doing, working on.....and advertise it too......you said, we did.

I hate stuff like that - a sure sign people are making sure to tick boxes rather than do something useful. Sorry :lol:

He's not dying, just at risk of losing his seat on the board. He'll still be at the end of a phone.

Or are you suggesting there may be toys ejected??

Hmmm....I can only give my opinion based on the the trust meetings I have attended.

Yes I believe he serves a role. The knowledge and literally trust he has with the owner and staff club means that if SC walked away then I am confident the trust would know the daily running of the club and how to keep it going.

However, this is NOT a fans rep role now. It has evolved into something different.

We need a fresh face, an intermediary between fans and trust board. Chris has volunteered to put his neck on the line to try an bridge this gap in the intrim.

Next trust meeting is 17th November in the 02 suite please try an d attend or log your questions on the trust oldham website or onthe the above pinned thread where I will pick them up as I a plan to go

I hate stuff like that - a sure sign people are making sure to tick boxes rather than do something useful. Sorry :lol:

Could you please clarify Harry...as in the concept of you said we did?....would it not be a useful step in at least showing what the trust has been working on this season/ per month.

I'm curious-thanks

Edited by underdog

To pick up on underdog's post. It was decided to take some of the work away for barry in regards to supporter communication and the like because his role, along with the trust as a whole is evolving. I have taken on the role of director if communications with along with lookers87 who is marketing/media director. My role is to communicate with supporters and try and deal with issues and take them to to the club. Jenny was at the last meeting and we are trying to form a string working relationship for the benefit of supporters. So if you want a 'fans' rep' then it would be me you come to (as many people have over the last few months) and barry is free to continue his role as club director and the key link at boardroom level.

Can we take this down. A witch hunt on a forum is snidey and a little immature imo.

If you want him out, find a better candidate and have a proper debate face to face. Not behind a keyboard and a username.

Democracy, my friend. It is how it works. The internet is now an increasingly popular platform to hold such talks. In fact, we're close to being allowed to vote online in elections and trade unions are demanding the right to contest strike ballots online.

If he wants to support everything the OAFC establishment has to say then I'd vote against him tomorrow. It's far from an attractive quality. He used the local mouthpiece to attack those he is supposed to represent. Moronic.

He wants to get on here more often. Not as a ghost but an active poster.

Edited by UpTheLatics

To pick up on underdog's post. It was decided to take some of the work away for barry in regards to supporter communication and the like because his role, along with the trust as a whole is evolving. I have taken on the role of director if communications with along with lookers87 who is marketing/media director. My role is to communicate with supporters and try and deal with issues and take them to to the club. Jenny was at the last meeting and we are trying to form a string working relationship for the benefit of supporters. So if you want a 'fans' rep' then it would be me you come to (as many people have over the last few months) and barry is free to continue his role as club director and the key link at boardroom level.

But... but.... If you are telling the club what fans think, what is Barry saying when he's in the Boardroom?

PS if it all goes tits up and Mr Corney decides to leave, Mr Joy knows more about it than Barry.