Barry Owen Poll

Fans Rep  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Should Barry Owen be made to conside his position as the fans voice on the board?

But... but.... If you are telling the club what fans think, what is Barry saying when he's in the Boardroom?

PS if it all goes tits up and Mr Corney decides to leave, Mr Joy knows more about it than Barry.

We only have Barry's word of what is said at boardroom level but that would be the case for anyone in that position. Barry has the same responsibility to report back to us as we do to him. He reports his club info and feedback in a section called 'club update' on the agenda. And you may well be correct about Mr Joy but what if he was to leave the club tomorrow? Where would we be then?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lags: there's an election coming up and I think it's perfectly legit to question Barry's performance. He's capable of coming on here and defending himself if he wants. You can't have a situation where anyone testing the water of democratic opinion gets accused of running a witch hunt.

There's no conflict of interest in being the fans' rep on the board. Everyone has an overriding shared interest. This is why all the extremely rich and successful kraut corporations have a trade union rep on their boards, and why the piss poor Brit also-rans do not.

Like Harry says, no one but a retiree or a lottery winner can put in as many hours as Barry does. I prefer quality to quantity. (Berating people who can't afford something is not quality, in my view.) There should be scope for concentrating the role and making it less time consuming. Is a jobshare possible? If not, it ought to be.

Could you please clarify Harry...as in the concept of you said we did?....would it not be a useful step in at least showing what the trust has been working on this season/ per month.

I'm curious-thanks

I'm sure it would be very well recieved by those less cynical than me and probably, hopefully, rightly so. :grin:

We only have Barry's word of what is said at boardroom level but that would be the case for anyone in that position. Barry has the same responsibility to report back to us as we do to him. He reports his club info and feedback in a section called 'club update' on the agenda. And you may well be correct about Mr Joy but what if he was to leave the club tomorrow? Where would we be then?

Can I play?

What if Barry left too? And then you? Where would we be then?

Can I play?

What if Barry left too? And then you? Where would we be then?

The slight difference is that Barry is retired and a fan of the club.

Joy is an employee and could easily seek alternative employment, especially with CEO of a football club on his CV. Corney could walk away any time.

Barry may leave his position but being a fan I'd be surprised if he was ever far away if needed.

I'm sure it would be very well recieved by those less cynical than me and probably, hopefully, rightly so. :grin:

Thanks and I appreciate your comments as it did get me thinking via an earlier post...what has the trust done this season, last season, in it's history? And where would I find this information too.

So maybe if it was advertised what they have done, working on...you said we did stuff got my brain cell engaged a bit.

A bit of visible stuff around ether ground, programme website etc.

Just an idea to kick around I suppose

Barry may leave his position but being a fan I'd be surprised if he was ever far away if needed.

There's a solution on the table that pretty much everyone thinks is a good idea which takes away any suggestion of Barry walking away, and which would in fact allow him to receive more credit and respect for the work he puts in.

I think it's fair to say of Barry that his strengths aren't in PR. Though I would say that is also a problem within the club as a whole, and having spent a few months now working with them, it isn't the only one.

Personally speaking Im of the opinion that a slight tweaking of roles /responsibilities would be good at this stage for both the Trust and the club.

I think there are some valid questions to be asked of the Trust - it's essential for the good of everyone that key processes and decisions (esp voting at AGMs) are as transparent as possible.

One of my key aims when I joined the board was to ensure that by the AGM 2015 the means was in place to give as many members as possible the opportunity to vote (so not just in attendance at the meeting) there is a plan being put in place for this. (Which by the way Barry fully supports).

One of my other aims was to create key communication lines, which thanks mainly to the tireless efforts of Chris we've already made great strides from where the Trust was. In a relatively short space of time.

People sometimes forget that the biggest thing required in communication is actually the ability to listen. I can assure you that Chris and myself (and others) have/are listening.

What we aren't always able to do is give answers on everything - or in some cases, the answers some are wanting to hear.

As an example, at the Trust meeting last Monday, the fans that did attend confirmed an idea both Chris and I had had which was to ask the club to consider an offer for the Crawley game (to help us put a positive call to action for non attendees) - Barry was firmly behind the idea and he took that to the Board meeting last week -a meeting that was happening as Simon C was around for the first time in a while. I also had a meeting with Jenny last Tuesday and pushed the same message. That is where our efforts/messages end.

Where it becomes difficult now as a Trust Director (or any new 'voice of the fans') is if nothing happens with that. We move on with other work, but it's not enough for some. At times we are dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.

To give you an insight into my first few months as a Trust Director. Despite only joining the board in April, just the fact I have been prepared to put my limited time to helping both the Trust and this club we all love I have already been the subject of personal attacks for having the temerity to step up.

Not a moan, I'm old enough and confident enough to carry on regardless. I'm worried though that the constant digs and snipes put off others who could bring some much needed skills and hands to the table. Some of those digs do come from a legitimate past mistakes and I'm hopeful that the work myself and others are doing can help rebuild relationships. If we are to make progress as a club a strong Trust can play an important part in that.

What I'm more interested in though is moving forward. The past is gone and I would much rather accept where we are right now and look forward, working on creating a strong Trust business that gives fans a strong voice and contributes to growing the club.

I'm much more focused on creating a positive dialogue of respect than having to spend time detailing every action / conversation / decision as that by it's nature creates a static and arse-covering organisation - of course as I've said it is important to listen and take key questions forward and return outcomes - this has to be balanced against getting things done - and as we are all volunteers with full lives the balance should always lay on the getting things done side.

I completely accept that changing perceptions is going to take time, but Chris, others and myself are doing what we can "externally" to bring in immediate changes whilst I'm working on some of those things like processes and most importantly a plan so we can be more focused.

And when we get chance we can get back to enjoying the excellent season so far - the power really is in our hands to change things for the better so why wait for an offer - bring a mate to the next game anyway.

Edited by lookers87

Issues with the Trust and issues with Barry are separate for me.

A lot of people at the Trust work very hard and do listen. Your hard work is much appreciated.

Barry, however, does not listen. And his communication style pretty much always misses the mark by miles. He needs someone who is better at listening and communicating to help him, and make him think through the impact of his statements (including consideration of whether he is the best placed person to even be making the statement).

Issues with the Trust and issues with Barry are separate for me.

A lot of people at the Trust work very hard and do listen. Your hard work is much appreciated.

Barry, however, does not listen. And his communication style pretty much always misses the mark by miles. He needs someone who is better at listening and communicating to help him, and make him think through the impact of his statements (including consideration of whether he is the best placed person to even be making the statement).

This for me. With the bit in brackets being a lot more important than Barry seems to think.

Don't kick it around. Do it!

You talking to me......in my best Robert de Niro voice.

I probably will do once I go to the next trust meeting, find out what the trust have done, working on etc and then, I might just stick a poster up just for you x

You talking to me......in my best Robert de Niro voice.

I probably will do once I go to the next trust meeting, find out what the trust have done, working on etc and then, I might just stick a poster up just for you x

:grin:

It was said in a positive, motivational tone - honest!

I think it's fair to say of Barry that his strengths aren't in PR. Though I would say that is also a problem within the club as a whole, and having spent a few months now working with them, it isn't the only one.

Personally speaking Im of the opinion that a slight tweaking of roles /responsibilities would be good at this stage for both the Trust and the club.

I think there are some valid questions to be asked of the Trust - it's essential for the good of everyone that key processes and decisions (esp voting at AGMs) are as transparent as possible.

One of my key aims when I joined the board was to ensure that by the AGM 2015 the means was in place to give as many members as possible the opportunity to vote (so not just in attendance at the meeting) there is a plan being put in place for this. (Which by the way Barry fully supports).

One of my other aims was to create key communication lines, which thanks mainly to the tireless efforts of Chris we've already made great strides from where the Trust was. In a relatively short space of time.

People sometimes forget that the biggest thing required in communication is actually the ability to listen. I can assure you that Chris and myself (and others) have/are listening.

What we aren't always able to do is give answers on everything - or in some cases, the answers some are wanting to hear.

As an example, at the Trust meeting last Monday, the fans that did attend confirmed an idea both Chris and I had had which was to ask the club to consider an offer for the Crawley game (to help us put a positive call to action for non attendees) - Barry was firmly behind the idea and he took that to the Board meeting last week -a meeting that was happening as Simon C was around for the first time in a while. I also had a meeting with Jenny last Tuesday and pushed the same message. That is where our efforts/messages end.

Where it becomes difficult now as a Trust Director (or any new 'voice of the fans') is if nothing happens with that. We move on with other work, but it's not enough for some. At times we are dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.

To give you an insight into my first few months as a Trust Director. Despite only joining the board in April, just the fact I have been prepared to put my limited time to helping both the Trust and this club we all love I have already been the subject of personal attacks for having the temerity to step up.

Not a moan, I'm old enough and confident enough to carry on regardless. I'm worried though that the constant digs and snipes put off others who could bring some much needed skills and hands to the table. Some of those digs do come from a legitimate past mistakes and I'm hopeful that the work myself and others are doing can help rebuild relationships. If we are to make progress as a club a strong Trust can play an important part in that.

What I'm more interested in though is moving forward. The past is gone and I would much rather accept where we are right now and look forward, working on creating a strong Trust business that gives fans a strong voice and contributes to growing the club.

I'm much more focused on creating a positive dialogue of respect than having to spend time detailing every action / conversation / decision as that by it's nature creates a static and arse-covering organisation - of course as I've said it is important to listen and take key questions forward and return outcomes - this has to be balanced against getting things done - and as we are all volunteers with full lives the balance should always lay on the getting things done side.

I completely accept that changing perceptions is going to take time, but Chris, others and myself are doing what we can "externally" to bring in immediate changes whilst I'm working on some of those things like processes and most importantly a plan so we can be more focused.

And when we get chance we can get back to enjoying the excellent season so far - the power really is in our hands to change things for the better so why wait for an offer - bring a mate to the next game anyway.

Couldn't of put it better myself. Speaking personally i was concerned at the lack of communication at all levels within the trust so wanted to do something to improve it.

Nobodies arsed but there's 4 threads been opened in the last 2 days?

don't spin it, what have those 4 threads told you? what about just 3 that actually turned up for a recent meeting. id say that those were ideal measurements of either bad publicity, planning or just simply a lack of enthusiasm for the whole caboodle.

don't spin it, what have those 4 threads told you? what about just 3 that actually turned up for a recent meeting. id say that those were ideal measurements of either bad publicity, planning or just simply a lack of enthusiasm for the whole caboodle.

No spin involved. There was 4 threads open. I'm talking factual. And the reason the low numbers is peoples' perception of the trust is it's there just for a crisis. That is because that is why the trust was formed in the first place and we need to change that perception, which we are working on. There is also a perception that Barry is the 'fans' rep' this is also not the case. Barry is there to make sure due dilligance is carried out at board room level and report back to the other directors. Fans rep at the club is Jenny and if anyonevwants to know anything about the trust of speak about ideas or queries you may have then they should come to me as director of cummunicarion. The trust was formed over a decade ago and it is now being brought into the modern era kicking and screaming. We now have more bodies and man (and woman) power so we are able to make the changes that are needed. The club now also see us as a vital tool and we will be working alot closer with them aswell! Edited by c.hill12

There is also a perception that Barry is the 'fans' rep' this is also not the case. Barry is there to make sure due dilligance is carried out at board room level and report back to the other directors.

Fans rep at the club is Jenny and if anyonevwants to know anything about the trust of speak about ideas or queries you may have then they should come to me as director of cummunicarion.

What, did I just read this? Jenny is paid by the Club to (amongst other things) liaise with fans. Barry was elected sort of) to represent the Trust to the Club. If what you are saying above is an accurate reflection is how Barry perceives his role then he really should ask himself how he can justify his position.

What, did I just read this? Jenny is paid by the Club to (amongst other things) liaise with fans. Barry was elected sort of) to represent the Trust to the Club. If what you are saying above is an accurate reflection is how Barry perceives his role then he really should ask himself how he can justify his position.

That isn't how barry perceives his role and he will also make time to meet with fans. It is how the trust is changing. Barry cannot sit on the board, be trust chairman and be fans' rep. It has been stated on here and identified within the trust. I am in the process of asking each trust director to write an outline of their role within the trust so everyone knows what is being done and what needs to be done, barry included.

That isn't how barry perceives his role and he will also make time to meet with fans. It is how the trust is changing. Barry cannot sit on the board, be trust chairman and be fans' rep. It has been stated on here and identified within the trust. I am in the process of asking each trust director to write an outline of their role within the trust so everyone knows what is being done and what needs to be done, barry included.

Ah, I get you, cheers. I'll look forward to seeing the proposals.