Loan system - the success of loaning out?

Over the years I have seen some great players come to BP on loan and perform well - some have stayed (or made their way back here via a less direct route), some have gone on to have success elsewhere, and a few have gone back to their host club and been a relative success (Bertrand?).

We have loaned a couple of players out recently, and there are discussions elsewhere on this forum about whether others might go the same way (Poleon being one). I am trying to think about any successful outward loans that we have made?

I get the idea, send a young player out to get some first team football and hope that they perform, so that you can bring them back in to your setup. I just am struggling to think of a successful one for Latics. Chris O'Grady went to Dale and did a great job of scoring goals, but for some reason (despite our forwards at the time struggling with the banjo and cow's arses) he was never recalled.

Outside of Latics, I think Beckham at PNE is probably the best outward loan success story, but overall it tends to be a process that inevitably leads to the player leaving the host club (either to the loan club, or to someone else).

Theoretically a good idea that in practice doesn't amount to much OR do I have a crap memory?

Over the years I have seen some great players come to BP on loan and perform well - some have stayed (or made their way back here via a less direct route), some have gone on to have success elsewhere, and a few have gone back to their host club and been a relative success (Bertrand?).

We have loaned a couple of players out recently, and there are discussions elsewhere on this forum about whether others might go the same way (Poleon being one). I am trying to think about any successful outward loans that we have made?

I get the idea, send a young player out to get some first team football and hope that they perform, so that you can bring them back in to your setup. I just am struggling to think of a successful one for Latics. Chris O'Grady went to Dale and did a great job of scoring goals, but for some reason (despite our forwards at the time struggling with the banjo and cow's arses) he was never recalled.

Outside of Latics, I think Beckham at PNE is probably the best outward loan success story, but overall it tends to be a process that inevitably leads to the player leaving the host club (either to the loan club, or to someone else).

Theoretically a good idea that in practice doesn't amount to much OR do I have a crap memory?

I'd also add Jermain Defoe, where he scored in 10 consecutive games. He went on to be West Hams's top scorer the next season despite Glenn Roeder mainly using him as sub.

Singe beat me to it on the Defoe loan, I'd say that has been one of the most successful ones of recent years.

For us? Taylor and Tierney went out to Barrow FC on loan and both came back to go onto play for the 1st team here too aswell as the Trotman and Dale Stephens examples.

But, no - we haven't had loads of success stories from outgoing loans...

Taylor was probably our best outward loan.

The loan system is as good as the player and loanee club make it, if the player is a billy big balls Rusnak then it is going to be a disaster, if the player makes a go of it realises that it is better for them to be playing proper competitive football than sitting in a development squad somewhere then they stand a decent chance of making it. Take Wabara, he took his opportunity with us then City wanted him playing at a higher level, Blackpool I think came in for him but then didn't play him. He could still be sat at City doing nothing but to his credit he went to Donny and is playing professional football, probably earning less than he thought he would a few years ago but fair play to the lad, he isn't ducking the challenge.

Tim Krul played at BP for Carlisle I think as did Arsenal's keeper Czsxesknee for Brentford. It is good for a player's development, some might prove that they can't cut it at a higher level currently but fair play to the ones who grasp the opportunity with both hands.

Not sure how much benefit there is for us loaning out below Conference level.

Going slightly off script, who would be our best ever loan? Beckett?

The keeper, Lee Grant was it? Never actually saw him play because I was away but everyone seemed to be raving about him.

Mark Hudson was class too.

Regardless of its success or otherwise the system is completely out of control.

Chelsea have something like 30 players out on loan. It is inconceivable that there aren't some conflicts of interest involved but apart from that it seems clear to me that they, and no doubt many others., see this system as a way to enhance the prospect of compliance with Financial Fair Play.

They take on, say, a dozen players at £1m each and if three of them can be sold on for say £10m having played a couple of seasons for Vitesse Arnhem or whoever then they are in profit and can use that to offset first team costs. £10m players aren't going to get anywhere near Chelsea's first team now.

Getting a Courtois, for example, out of the process is just a bonus.

I've got no problem with the loan system. It is just a bit frustrating when we end up with 1 month stop gaps throughout a season when we don't have a proper squad in place or when you seemingly get a player of good calibre in and they are just here for the match fitness. LJ seems to do less of this though.

As for loaning our players out I think we have done successfully a number of times. I think we would do it more but I get the feeling a lot of our youth and reserve players are not always in demand.

Taylor was probably our best outward loan.

The loan system is as good as the player and loanee club make it, if the player is a billy big balls Rusnak then it is going to be a disaster, if the player makes a go of it realises that it is better for them to be playing proper competitive football than sitting in a development squad somewhere then they stand a decent chance of making it. Take Wabara, he took his opportunity with us then City wanted him playing at a higher level, Blackpool I think came in for him but then didn't play him. He could still be sat at City doing nothing but to his credit he went to Donny and is playing professional football, probably earning less than he thought he would a few years ago but fair play to the lad, he isn't ducking the challenge.

Tim Krul played at BP for Carlisle I think as did Arsenal's keeper Czsxesknee for Brentford. It is good for a player's development, some might prove that they can't cut it at a higher level currently but fair play to the ones who grasp the opportunity with both hands.

We got Jan Budtz.

Asmir Begovic had a good game against us whilst on at Yeovil too!

it does strike me how often we get loanees that don't make much of an impact but then go on to make a career at a higher level. Grabban, Blackman and Lowe spring to mind

That is because we have a maasive amount of fans who think that if the team loses or draws it is :censored: and if a player does not score he is :censored:. They are blind to things like performances, passing and clean sheets.

Blackman, Lowe and Grabban (less so) were bang average as I remember. This clearly had more to do with their level of development at the time, rather than them being a bit :censored:.

I don't see how a massive amount of fans called it wrong at the time. I certainly won't be more tolerant of place-stealing loanees on the basis that they may get their :censored: together in a few years time.

For the record, I have no issue with the loan players brought in this season as they both appear to have served a purpose, even if that purpose has been providing cover from the bench.

it does strike me how often we get loanees that don't make much of an impact but then go on to make a career at a higher level. Grabban, Blackman and Lowe spring to mind

That's because we gave them the time to get the :censored:ness out of their systems. Imagine if we'd only had Bertrand for a month?

That's because we gave them the time to get the :censored:ness out of their systems. Imagine if we'd only had Bertrand for a month?

Good point that.

Bertrand was up there with the most blatantly :censored:-scared young footballer i've ever seen on his debut for us; which was his outright league debut IIRC.

Sitting in the Lookers paddock, you could actually see him shacking; and it was a warm day. He was bricking it; and his performance showed it.

But, Bertrand is also up there with the quickest & most impressive development of a player i've ever seen. After that incredibly shakey and nervous start, he just got better, and better and better - upto the point where, away a Leeds in his last game, he was arguably our best player.

The fact he's now a Champions League winner after starting that final, has plenty of 1st team games for Chelsea and is now massively pulling up trees at Southampton, is of huge credit to him.

I think that we should use the outward loan system to full effect this season given that we have no reserves games. Match fitness following a lengthy injury is virtually none existent. Loaning out players to league 2 teams as part of their rehab would benefit all parties. Lockwood to Plymouth?

Edited by L1onheartNew