Etheridge

Comes across very well in his LP interview. If he can play half as well has his confidence he'll be good keeper. What's his deal here? are we looking at Chubs eventual replacement?

I thought it was only short term?

Edit: Until 30th December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29839695

From what I have heard, Coleman is very highly regarded.

Edited by blueatheart

Quite a few times this season I've re-watched a goal we've conceded and wondered to myself if Rachubka could've done better. Today was another occasion. I wonder how closely Etheridge is to challenging for the number 1 spot, as the goalkeeping position appears to be our weakest.

Quite a few times this season I've re-watched a goal we've conceded and wondered to myself if Rachubka could've done better. Today was another occasion. I wonder how closely Etheridge is to challenging for the number 1 spot, as the goalkeeping position appears to be our weakest.

I've added the FLS show highlights to the video thread.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/45860-201415-video-highlights-brought-to-you-by-playershare/

He could take some of the blame but for me Mills allowed him to get the shot away when he should of showed him inside, to balance things up a little here I thought he kept us in it early on with a couple of decent saves, his handling was good and he did particularly well with the high ball, distribution was decent and he started off plenty of attacks, he does have weakness picking up the 25-30 yard digs and Im sure he is aware of this but for me he is doing a good job. As for the new lad he has had one run out against Morecombe reserves and let 4 in so be careful what you wish for.

Edited by athleticosOA95

Everyone comes back with the 'he made some good saves' argument, but they weren't anything any other keeper couldn't have saved quite comfortably. The goal, on the other hand, was something lots of other goalkeepers would've saved.

For me, there's been too many times we've missed out on the 3 points because of poor shot-stopping.

Everyone comes back with the 'he made some good saves' argument, but they weren't anything any other keeper couldn't have saved quite comfortably. The goal, on the other hand, was something lots of other goalkeepers would've saved.

For me, there's been too many times we've missed out on the 3 points because of poor shot-stopping.

Shot stopping isnt his weakness we have conceded probably as few goals than any team in the division from inside the box he has made some great saves and kept us in games especially away from home this season 20 goals in 18 games is up there with the best records in the division so things need to be kept in context. Edited by athleticosOA95

Shot stopping isnt his weakness we have conceded probably as few goals than any team in the division from inside the box he has made some great saves and kept us in games especially away from home this season 20 goals in 18 games is up there with the best records in the division so things need to be kept in context.

It is his weakness. If you are missing saves that you should be making on a regular occurrence that is a weakness.

More of those goals will be down to his individual shortcomings than any of our defender's, that's sure.

I'm not sure I know of many of these 'great saves', other than Orient at home I can't think of others. The term 'great' for a save is bandied more than any other word in football, when it simply isn't the case. Oxley genuinely made some great saves, but made too many mistakes in the process. Rachubka makes less of both of them criteria, but I still think he has missed some shots he ought to have saved. And it's made the difference in some very tight matches, costing us quite a few points.

Edited by NewBlue

It is his weakness. If you are missing saves that you should be making on a regular occurrence that is a weakness.

More of those goals will be down to his individual shortcomings than any of our defender's, that's sure.

I'm not sure I know of many of these 'great saves', other than Orient at home I can't think of others. The term 'great' for a save is bandied more than any other word in football, when it simply isn't the case.

Using your logic every keeper should make every save then ? Since he came in at the back end of last season we have conceded 26 goals in 28 league games so he must be doing something right, he has his flaws and they are well documented but you wont find a keeper with a better goals to games ratio in this league barring Roy Carroll and he is Championship class at least, for the budget we have he is more than adequate its our failure to score and kill off teams when on top thats killing us not our keepers performances.

He is a solid dependable goalkeeper, who at the age he is (and at his height, which is on the short side for a football league goalkeeper), does not have a tremendous range as a shot stopper.

Anybody who underestimates the organisation and structure that he brings to us defensively knows nothing about the position. His distribution is also integral to our attacking play - as is his ability to clear off either foot, given the number of times he is touching the ball in general play!! They also ignore the defensive statistics since he returned to the side last season.

This is not to say he is irreplaceable - he clearly isn't. However with a largely young back 4 of late, it would have to be a very good and confident goalkeeper at this level doing it!!

Finally, I am sure he will be disappointed at the goal conceded yesterday - but any strike coming through a defender at that range is never easy. It is the goals conceded from range that should trouble him more!!

He could take some of the blame but for me Mills allowed him to get the shot away when he should of showed him inside, to balance things up a little here I thought he kept us in it early on with a couple of decent saves, his handling was good and he did particularly well with the high ball, distribution was decent and he started off plenty of attacks, he does have weakness picking up the 25-30 yard digs and Im sure he is aware of this but for me he is doing a good job. As for the new lad he has had one run out against Morecombe reserves and let 4 in so be careful what you wish for.

You don't show any winger inside you make them go down the outside and round you if they're good enough.

Yep, and you definitely don't show them inside when you're in the penalty box and 10 yards from the goal.

Im sure they didnt want him getting a shot away on his strongest foot running into the area, the fact Mills decided it was time to do the riverdance was what caused the goal, the keeper should of done better but having a free run on goal and shot on goal was the real problem for me.