PLastics sack manager

Ive heard a rumour they are looking at johnson. Has he actually got odds? I know he would be very long odds just wondering if he has actually been put in the running.

He wouldnt leave at this point of his career anyway just as its taking shape here. He will want summat on the cv id imagine

Ive heard a rumour they are looking at johnson. Has he actually got odds? I know he would be very long odds just wondering if he has actually been put in the running.

He wouldnt leave at this point of his career anyway just as its taking shape here. He will want summat on the cv id imagine

Where did that rumour come from?

No he wouldn't.

Interested in the tough process behind this - care to expand?

Wigan might see a manager that has taken a club with low attendances (and therefore budget) from a relegation battle to Play-off contenders in less than two seasons.

I think he would go for the reasons stated - a step up to a championship club and with a backer that could provide enough funds to get them in the PL (though are the financial FairPlay rules in at that level? If they are this would significantly limit their ambition).

LJ has no historical emotional attachment to Latics - so it's not impossible to think he would take the opportunity when it arises. Wouldn't blame him. Would be desperately disappointed though.

He's turned down a number of jobs he's been offered. What they actually were I don't know. This is from Lee direct.

Was he offered a job at Liverpool by Rogers ? One thing I will say and I hope I dont end up with egg on my face but Id say one of his qualities is his loyalty, Im sure he recognises the opportunity he has been given, his stock is rising all the time and no doubt in the future he will go on to better things hopefully thats with us.

Was he offered a job at Liverpool by Rogers ? One thing I will say and I hope I dont end up with egg on my face but Id say one of his qualities is his loyalty, Im sure he recognises the opportunity he has been given, his stock is rising all the time and no doubt in the future he will go on to better things hopefully thats with us.

Dont know about a job at Liverpool but the loyaty bit is spot on.

Dont know about a job at Liverpool but the loyaty bit is spot on.

he reminds me alot of big Joe in his earlys days knows he has a board that back him when they need to but dont make knee jerk reactions when things arent going well think he is slowly building a little empire here moulding the whole club to how he wants which is what big Joe did he knows that loyalty is a two way street so think that is why hes staying but having said that the plastics with whelans money would be very tempting but would he see how many managers whelan has gone through ?

I just can't see an experienced businessman like Whelan firing Rosler, then thinking 'what next' or putting LJ in the frame. The magic roundabout is overloaded with options for him. Has LJ or Corney, been tapped? Has Holden, come in to assist Wright? Is LJ disillusioned by this season only putting barley a few hundred on the core support? Nah! I expect LJ to see out this season at the very least, a good out come may well see a bigger door open and he is certainly ambitious. Reading into his ideology, philosophy and long established desire to coach, does he fancy a shot at empire building, here.

All wishful thinking and educated (disputable) guesswork of course.

Edited by mikeroyboy

Was he offered a job at Liverpool by Rogers ?

Yeah, he offered him a coaching job, presumably in the youth set-up. I get the impression he sees the job here as a project that he wants to see through, and at this stage in his career it makes sense to stay somewhere where expectations are fairly low rather than go and work for an overbearing chairman who demands promotion to the premier league.

I've heard that he believes he was one game from the sack a couple of times last season. Not so sure about the 'board backs him' line.

Wasn't he offered his new deal last season which he signed? Longest for a Latics manager in a long time.

I don't think LJ has ever been near getting the boot

Can anyone confirm the contract he has?

If "other jobs" are not manager posts, but lower roles in bigger organisations then I can see why he would stay here even if he has no loyalty and is totally career focused. You are in a far more noticeable spot when leading a team, albeit one in the 3rd tier, than you are as a coach at a larger club. Also I'd imagine he would like the total control you have from the managers point of view.

Loyalty in football is something akin to hen's teeth. As popular and as loved as any manager is, as strong as the relationship between manager and chairman, and between manager and fans.....lose 5 on the bounce and those people will quickly start calling for your head.

All that being said, I think that LJ is an intelligent and is less likely to make a knee-jerk reaction to what might seem like a 'bigger' job if offered. A couple of full-seasons at a League One club that show (despite limited funds) an improvement in their fortunes (and for us that is any points total starting with a 6), perhaps even 3 seasons, will be good for his career in the long term.

I hope that he stays for as long as he can.