The diamond formation?

IMO it's worked to such an extent in that it's enabled better attacking midfield options, but on the other side of the coin some players e.g Forte and Poleon seem to find it difficult to adjust.

Are you in favour of leaving it as it is or changing it ?

IMO it's worked to such an extent in that it's enabled better attacking midfield options, but on the other side of the coin some players e.g Forte and Poleon seem to find it difficult to adjust.

Are you in favour of leaving it as it is or changing it ?

If we say the diamond has been used since Coventry(h) Forte has scored 3 goals in 5 games, but actually 4 games of actual playing time due the amount of time he was substituted.

It would never happen, but the only way I could see it accommodating all of our players is if we didn't play a striker and instead put Forte on the left wing, Winchester/Poleon on the right and had Philliskirk in the number 10 role, without a number 9. That's the only way I could see it suiting Poleon and Forte.

More likely, we drop Philliskirk, replace him with Jabo and play wingers again. That or we revert to dropping a defender, but that way it would require Jones sitting back again, which would disrupt his form in that slightly more advanced midfield role of late, and bit of tracking back for Forte, and you wouldn't want your main attacking threat having defensive responsibilities.

It would never happen, but the only way I could see it accommodating all of our players is if we didn't play a striker and instead put Forte on the left wing, Winchester/Poleon on the right and had Philliskirk in the number 10 role, without a number 9. That's the only way I could see it suiting Poleon and Forte.

More likely, we drop Philliskirk, replace him with Jabo and play wingers again. That or we revert to dropping a defender, but that way it would require Jones sitting back again, which would disrupt his form in that slightly more advanced midfield role of late, and bit of tracking back for Forte, and you wouldn't want your main attacking threat having defensive responsibilities.

A 4-3-3 with a false nine, at Boundary Park? I'm not sure what the Main Stand folk would make of that.

I'm in, for the record.

Former England midfielder Chris Waddle
Talking about England (but possibly Oldham) later in the afternoon on the bbc.

"We keep playing this diamond which doesn't work. We've got people with pace out wide, use it. Don't put them in the middle of the park where it's congested."

Former England midfielder Chris Waddle

Talking about England (but possibly Oldham) later in the afternoon on the bbc.

"We keep playing this diamond which doesn't work. We've got people with pace out wide, use it. Don't put them in the middle of the park where it's congested."

Is this the same Chris Waddle who said after 60 minutes that Welbeck should be taken off because he was contributing nothing?

The one person in the world who you would expect to be able to say the word penalty but can't. :)

We might do BP, subject to player changes.

I'll give you an OWTB chuffy badge if it happens...

Ok..rememberI have George and Lockwood or Kusunga as aces up my sleeve for a back 3 with J Wilson. Edited by BP1960

LJ isn't afraid to change formation/tactics when they haven't been working. I have enough faith to believe that he will change things again when necessary.

The present tactics have worked to a great extent, its just where do you fit in your best players?

For me, the diamond formation is more suited to away games. At home we should play with more width - especially against the likes of Crawley Town.

Also it is most effective when the midfield shows initiative and variety in it's play with at least one prepared to dribble into the box (Johnson), one prepared to shoot (Jones). It could have been so different on Saturday... even a 1-0 victory would have taken us up to sixth.

Home

Paul Rachubka

Brian Wilson - Genseric Kusunga - James Wilson - Joseph Mills

Daniel Johnson - Mike Jones - Liam Kelly - Jonathan Forte

Jabo Ibehre - Danny Philliskirk

The likes of Winchester, Dayton & Poleon to come off the bench.....

Away

Paul Rachubka

Brian Wilson - Genseric Kusunga - James Wilson - Joseph Mills

Liam Kelly - Michael Tidser

Daniel Johnson - Mike Jones - Jonathan Forte

Jabo Ibehre

The likes of Philliskirk, Dayton & Poleon to come off the bench. This could also flex to become a diamond with Johnson the #10 behind Ibehre & Forte.

Danny P was the main attacking force in the 2nd half on Saturday, creating for himself a few half chances

My only criticism would be that he needs to find a pass in the area when 2 or 3 defenders are throwing themselves in the way of a shot

For me, missing a sitter and wasting our other best opportunity doesn't warrant a MOTM award.

And I rate him.

For me, missing a sitter and wasting our other best opportunity doesn't warrant a MOTM award.

And I rate him.

Me too. Think his head dropped when he missed his header.

On a side note, thought Poleon was quite effective in his 12 minutes out wide, got himself into good positions and pulled it back well for one of DP's chances.

Need to adapt to the circumstances of the match at hand. Playing fixed strategies doesn't bode well for long term success. That being said I like the home/away side combo a few posts above. I'd probably say 2 points were dropped on weekend, fell victim to a side who scouted us well? I personally prefer the wingback swooping wide in attack for width and the long crosses and angled back in passes.