Rhys Turner

What's happening to this lad ? Watched him last season in the reserves and when he played against Sheffield United and was hopeful he would turn into a decent player for us, he seems to warm the bench but the manager appears reluctant to use him, from what I've seen he has an eye for goal can turn a defender is pacey and doesn't mind cutting in off either flank, isn't this something we have missed in recent weeks a player or substitution who could actually make an impact ? I know he has had the odd niggle but he seems to be stagnating at the moment and with talk of a new striker coming in is opportunities are not going to be getting any better. Surely a game like Crawley on Saturday was a chance for the gaffer to say go on Rhys show us what you've got rather than sticking on the same faces who lets face it have been largely ineffective ?

I think the niggles have been more complex than that and have actually been injuries, which is turning out to be a regular thing with him which is slightly worrying. We have players that have been largely ineffective being Poleon but I really do think he has a locker full of ability, he needs confidence and hopefully a goal yesterday and one in the first team sooner rather than later may give him a bit of confidence.

When I have seen Turner play though he has really impressed me so should we get a striker in on loan (hopefully Wilkinson) I think he would need to be loaned out but I rate him more than Jordan Bove who hasn't yet played 90 minutes for Hyde in the Vanarama North (or whatever it's called)

Surely a game like Crawley on Saturday was a chance for the gaffer to say go on Rhys show us what you've got rather than sticking on the same faces who lets face it have been largely ineffective ?

Tidser deserved his chance and did look quite a tidy player! He was not one of those same faces! Sooner or later LJ had to have a proper look at him!

Turner according to my Stockport mate will be a good un but these injuries are not helping him or us!

Injured again? The lad's made of biscuits!!

More serious to that point mind, are the facts that he has yet to be fully fit for an extended period, and it seems a worry. I'll wager he's paying the price of not being coached, schooled and developed at a professional club. The fact he's played school level football before going to semi pro for a short time, then jumping straight into professional football may be behind this?

All guess work form the outside looking in this is obviously, but it could be the type of pitches he's played on, coupled with good intentioned but incorrect training being given at his amateur level clubs, and then moving from at the most, 2 nights a week training at Stockport (again, good intentioned but possibly wrong) straight into full time, 5 days a week professional training with us.

On a young lads body, one that is still likely to be growing, this could very well be the reason he's having so many injuries?

I've only seem little cameo appearances from him in the odd games here & there. He looks to have the odd elements to his game that are 'good to go' and will add a nice alternative to our side, but - he also looked extremely raw in the majority of what he did IMO.

He's not ready for a run of 1st team games at League One level from what I've seen.

A longer term loan would be a sensible move for him, possibly at Vanarama level, but maybe even at League Two level? That said, how long did we sign him up for; 18 month deal wasn't it? So, won't that be running out at the end of this season? If it is, even though we've paid a fee for him, we may have to take a decision on him that he might need too long to adjust and develop, time we don't have really, and his wage could be spent more wisely on other areas of the squad?

Big few months for him either way I'd say...

Injured again? The lad's made of biscuits!!

More serious to that point mind, are the facts that he has yet to be fully fit for an extended period, and it seems a worry. I'll wager he's paying the price of not being coached, schooled and developed at a professional club. The fact he's played school level football before going to semi pro for a short time, then jumping straight into professional football may be behind this?

All guess work form the outside looking in this is obviously, but it could be the type of pitches he's played on, coupled with good intentioned but incorrect training being given at his amateur level clubs, and then moving from at the most, 2 nights a week training at Stockport (again, good intentioned but possibly wrong) straight into full time, 5 days a week professional training with us.

On a young lads body, one that is still likely to be growing, this could very well be the reason he's having so many injuries?

I've only seem little cameo appearances from him in the odd games here & there. He looks to have the odd elements to his game that are 'good to go' and will add a nice alternative to our side, but - he also looked extremely raw in the majority of what he did IMO.

He's not ready for a run of 1st team games at League One level from what I've seen.

A longer term loan would be a sensible move for him, possibly at Vanarama level, but maybe even at League Two level? That said, how long did we sign him up for; 18 month deal wasn't it? So, won't that be running out at the end of this season? If it is, even though we've paid a fee for him, we may have to take a decision on him that he might need too long to adjust and develop, time we don't have really, and his wage could be spent more wisely on other areas of the squad?

It depends on the individual,a schoolmate of mine went from school straight into non league, a couple of years later he moved to the football league hardly missing a game in his career and scoring over 200 goals. It could be Turner is just unlucky; but as you say the next step may be loan for the rest of the season, maybe back to Stockport.

Tidser deserved his chance and did look quite a tidy player! He was not one of those same faces! Sooner or later LJ had to have a proper look at him!

Turner according to my Stockport mate will be a good un but these injuries are not helping him or us!

By one of those faces I meant the attacking options as tidy as Tidser is he isnt going to create something from nothing.

Turner will have the sort of physiology that will make him more prone to injuries, but it's the same physiology that gives him his speed, plus his natural physiological development as a teenager.

In a short time-frame he has gone from school to college/uni level to semi pro to pro, the steps from school to semi-pro might not be that big, the step from semi-pro to pro is significant in comparison.

There will be things that might be easily fixed to improve his fitness, like ensuring he warms up properly, often a problem in the cold weather for those with Turner's physiology, hence why athletics is primarily a summer sport. However, I have faith in our medical team to have looked at that in detail and for them to be scrutinising it more closely when he returns.

Yes we paid money for him, but with these sort of transfers there is always an element of beating competitors to his signature, and for it to originally be undisclosed and then for Corney to say, knowing full well it would get published somewhere that it is £60k, strikes me as possibly including his wages on top of his transfer fee (considering we signed Stead around the same time). His transfer also strikes me as one for the future.

Yes we paid money for him, but with these sort of transfers there is always an element of beating competitors to his signature, and for it to originally be undisclosed and then for Corney to say, knowing full well it would get published somewhere that it is £60k, strikes me as possibly including his wages on top of his transfer fee (considering we signed Stead around the same time). His transfer also strikes me as one for the future.

I am glad some1 else gets it-we paid £20K to Stockport so I was informed! One for the future. But if we paid £100K for Poleon I think we were robbed.

It depends on the individual,a schoolmate of mine went from school straight into non league, a couple of years later he moved to the football league hardly missing a game in his career and scoring over 200 goals. It could be Turner is just unlucky; but as you say the next step may be loan for the rest of the season, maybe back to Stockport.

Who was your schoolmate bp?

Who was your schoolmate bp?

Kevin Randall Chesterfield centre forward in the 1970s and scourge of the Latics as some will remember.He left school and played for Droylsden before being signed by Bury.We played in the same school team, but despite offers myself I took a career path on the railways and some part time scouting, strangely enough I bumped into him for the first time some 40 years after leaving school to find out he was the chief scout at a Premiership club.

Edited by BP1960

Rhys Turner has torn his hamstring again but in a different place than before... going to be out for a fair while.

I think the question will come at the end of the season as to whether we should give him a contract extension.

He is highly rated by the coaching staff but unless he can overcome these problems he's never going to make it in the game.

4 appearances. 1 start in nearly a year.

And to think some sage judges were tipping him for top scorer honours...

Still better than Rob Purdie, I think he was here two seasons and never made a first team appearance (he made over 100 league appearances after that with other clubs).

Now caretaker manager at Tamworth.

Hes 18, hes better than the current crop of 18 year olds in our Youth team, as he's constantly in and around the first team squad. He needs handling with care and he needs a chance to develop. He is also probably on about £200/week so would be worth another year anyway.

Something that always stuck with me was when Josh Low constantly struggled with hammy issues and that turned out to be his back

Whatever it is, whether he's the next big thing or not, if he's a crock Oldham aren't in a position to hope for the best. Awful situation for the young lad but if there is no improvement between now and May I can't see any reason why we would keep him on