Latics players who get an unfair rap

Okay, let's face it - some Latics players over the years have just not been very good. Some of them frankly should never have been signed in a gazillion years - mentioning no names *cough* Terrell Forbes *cough*. The name Toddy Orlyggson still sends shivers down my spine. But what I wanna know is - which Latics players are unfairly thought of as being cack? Which Latics player would you defend to the hilt over a pint?

I'll chuck in a couple of names now:

Kenny Cooper - seems inexplicably to crop up on these 'worst striker' lists, but he only played a few matches for us. I'm sure I saw him score (and play well) at Swansea at the end of the 2000/01 season; either way, he didn't seem THAT bad (on the Ben Burgess/Steve Kabba/Dean Windass :censored:ness rating).

Paul Rickers - okay, not the most talented player ever; okay, kinda summed up the Godawful Ritchie era of crocks and kids; but - he really wasn't bad I don't think. Always gave 100 per cent and scored a couple of important goals as well (Reading at home to help keep us up I think?). Paul - you weren't great but I'd shout you a drink for your services to the blue shirt.

Okay you lot - any more while we're at it........

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toddy Orlyggson was great.

I know it's the opposite of what you're going for in this thread, but the fawning of Clint Hill gets my goat. 'Oh Hill was great, him and Hall were brilliant that season, took us to the playoffs blah blah blah'. The bloke played eighteen games. He got injured at the start of December and never played for us again. Beharall and Baudet played and contributed more.

Players like Scott McNiven, Rickers, Dudley, Hotte, Allot (1st time round), tipton......

Pretty much all players from that AR era seemed to be classed as garbage......We had no money and they were the best we could get, vast majority of them were at least grafters. I think the issue was chunks of fans were expecting us to get back to the top flight so they were always going to get an earful!

Toddy Orlyggson was great.

I know it's the opposite of what you're going for in this thread, but the fawning of Clint Hill gets my goat. 'Oh Hill was great, him and Hall were brilliant that season, took us to the playoffs blah blah blah'. The bloke played eighteen games. He got injured at the start of December and never played for us again. Beharall and Baudet played and contributed more.

But the games him and Hall played together were majestic. And Beharall was WANK.

Robbie Simpson weren't half as bad as the Twitter mob tried to make out, Hazell had a ropey end to his time here but had many more good games than bad.

Spot on with Hazel, he was rock solid for most of his time here (in fact until I told Mr Tulsehill how good he was and he got a red card/penalty). Similar with Dean Holden.

Hazell was rock solid for 99% of every game but the one guaranteed spectacular :censored:-up he had every time he played kind of let him down. Remember him slicing a clearance and trying to blame Tarky on his 2nd or 3rd game in the first team, and Tarky loudly and forcefully explaining why he wasn't the one at fault.

Many have deserved the stick. Neil Moore my word he couldn't stand up.... capt at Burnley later. Several have started with a game to remember ie Guy (in a pickle) Branson and just got worse. Oumiss Tonkara hasnt exactly proved himself yet the build for modern football.

Alan McNeil was a super player but did get stick. Ian Robins was a Warne type latics grafter but always got stick.

Some players have come and gone and hard to remember - Joe Colbeck..... and the one from Tranmere we paid money for whose name thankfully I forgot.

The ones that surprise more are players like my fav SimonStainrod, Alan Groves wasnt here as long as the memory believes. But worth it for the games they played.

Wayne Gill?

Many have deserved the stick. Neil Moore my word he couldn't stand up.... capt at Burnley later. Several have started with a game to remember ie Guy (in a pickle) Branson and just got worse. Oumiss Tonkara hasnt exactly proved himself yet the build for modern football.

Alan McNeil was a super player but did get stick. Ian Robins was a Warne type latics grafter but always got stick.

Some players have come and gone and hard to remember - Joe Colbeck..... and the one from Tranmere we paid money for whose name thankfully I forgot.

The ones that surprise more are players like my fav SimonStainrod, Alan Groves wasnt here as long as the memory believes. But worth it for the games they played.

...and even he wasn't that bad. I mean, jeez, we've had far, far worse down the years. I think the fact that a fee was 'wasted' by Mr Penney on him was more of the issue there.

I have, and will never get the grief Eardley got and continues to get.

And I'd echo the comments on Reuben Hazell, he was actually a very decent signing for us. Arrived on a free, gave decent service for us and really wasn't as error prone as some make out.

Edited by slystallone

...and even he wasn't that bad. I mean, jeez, we've had far, far worse down the years. I think the fact that a fee was 'wasted' by Mr Penney on him was more of the issue there.

I have, and will never get the grief Eardley got and continues to get.

And I'd echo the comments on Reuben Hazell, he was actually a very decent signing for us. Arrived on a free, gave decent service for us and really wasn't as error prone as some make out.

Can't agree with Colbeck, he's firmly in my all time worst XI.

Colbeck had one great game. Wycombe away.

He started by trying to trap the ball, standing on it and faceplanting into the floor. Following that he was fantastic. Skinned their fullback time after time, a massive threat.

And got brought off for it.

Colbeck had one great game. Wycombe away.

He started by trying to trap the ball, standing on it and faceplanting into the floor. Following that he was fantastic. Skinned their fullback time after time, a massive threat.

And got brought off for it.

And we went on to draw the game. It really was a fantastic performance, why DP took him off I'll never know.

Fair enough.

He's not in mine, I didn't think he was that bad. As I say, what irks is the fact a fee (was it £60K?) was paid to bring him here. I wouldn't have paid a fee for him, at all, but - that wasn't his fault.

It wasn't. his value must have plummeted to about 6p within a handful of games though!

Pav Abbott copped a bit of gas for a bloke who got into double figures playing with his back to goal 99% of the time.

Graeme Sharp. His experience as a player was vital back in the day but took so much stick.

As manager he presided over the slide down the leagues caused by a lack of investment from Mr Stott JWL and the board. He was helpless and a little hapless having been thrown in at the deep end as boss in an impossible situation.

Sharp as a player, completely agree. Sean McCarthy got a load of :censored: (none more so than from my dad), but I always thought he was good.

Flip side of that, people who were :censored: but everybody had adulation for : Garnett and Cooksey...

Any thoughts on Lee Sinnott (the player) ?

Edited by BP1960

Graeme Sharp. His experience as a player was vital back in the day but took so much stick.

As manager he presided over the slide down the leagues caused by a lack of investment from Mr Stott JWL and the board. He was helpless and a little hapless having been thrown in at the deep end as boss in an impossible situation.

:ranting:

One word (and a number...); Wembley 1994.

Mark Hughes was the pantomime villain that day, but people forget the three sitters Sharp missed that would have put us out of sight. His experience as a player wasn't vital that day.

I think we can also assume, because of his performance with us and the fact no one really took him on after, that he was a crap manager too..

Edited by JoeP