Latics players who get an unfair rap

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Scott McNiven got too much :censored:........his biggest problem, apart his lack of height and pace, was his inability to pass the ball down the line whether it was 5 yards or 50 yards made no difference, it still ended up in Ford Stand Upper.

Who was that cocky, but useless, git who stated in an interview that after 2 first team appearances he was good enough to replace Shez?

I always thought Scott McNiven got too much :censored:........his biggest problem, apart his lack of height and pace, was his inability to pass the ball down the line whether it was 5 yards or 50 yards made no difference, it still ended up in Ford Stand Upper.

Who was that cocky, but useless, git who stated in an interview that after 2 first team appearances he was good enough to replace Shez?

Not sure on the one who said they could replace Shez?

I remember when Mark Arber signed, he made the stupid mistake of saying we were a stop gap, a stepping stone on his undoubted rise up to the Premier League.

I was annoyed at his cockyness in that, but secretly pleased we'd signed a player who was so self assured in his ability and was quite excited at his potential for us.

Then he played his 1st game, I quickly realised he was absolutely gash, and had just basically made an arse of himself...

Last seen playing for Barnet before slidding out of pro football. He never did quite make it to the Premier League...

Kevin Betsy. Top drawer goal on his debut vs Hartlepool and he was actually one of the quietly efficient players when our form picked up after Kilkenny and Croft were brought in. But everyone remembers him mainly for a poor spell of form after we'd beaten City and for missing an absolute sitter away at Wrexham when we lost a key relegation match. He was never as bad as fans made out but became a bit of a scapegoat that season.

Kevin Betsy. Top drawer goal on his debut vs Hartlepool and he was actually one of the quietly efficient players when our form picked up after Kilkenny and Croft were brought in. But everyone remembers him mainly for a poor spell of form after we'd beaten City and for missing an absolute sitter away at Wrexham when we lost a key relegation match. He was never as bad as fans made out but became a bit of a scapegoat that season.

That really was an absolute sitter. I can't remember a worse miss from a Latics player.

When Betsy was good he was very good.

As was Craig Rocastle

Being in League 1 we tend to attract a lot of those sort of players who show a lot of potential but seem to be lacking something that would take them to a higher level. I think being a Latics fan you've got to accept to an extent that most of our players won't be perfect. But at the same time you shouldn't write off everyone on the Footballing scrap heap

Oxley- He got loads of stick for not coming off his line. I firmly believe that if he had played against Chesterfield last season we'd have beat them. His penalty saving record for us stands up against quite a lot of our all-time greats too.

Dayton- The bloke I sit next to called him a faggot (because he is "soft") so often during one game that I was tempted to grass him to the coppers, he still calls him that but less frequently. He's not going to win many tackles but most of our squad don't have his quality on the ball.

S. McNiven- Whilst primarily a Left-Back for us, he was outstanding playing on the left side of a back 3 for half a season.

Mark Hotte- Played as the "sweeper" in a back three for a period, did really well there but got binned off by the manager and the fans alike.

Sharp- City away autumn 1991- he was absolute quality. His record as a player for us was very good until right at the end, from that April Sunday onwards. Didn't play as a player-manager much either. His managerial spell clouds many judgements about his playing spell.

Olney- 13 goals in the Premier League in just over a season's worth of games (46). Decent for a struggling side. Getting injured is part of the game and it's a sad state that his injury cost him his career as a footballer, and would in all likelihood these days get fixed, and would probably have been fixable not that long after he retired.

I've got a few contenders for poorest player but some I happened to love due to how poor some of them were. However some names that will always stand out to me (not necessarily for being poor) and I'm only 20!

Calvin Zola - Once seen break through one on one against Bristol Rovers, decided he couldn't take it any closer to the goal so headed to the corner flag instead

Delroy Facey - Cut in from the left onto his right foot, bloke behind me said 'hit it Del' he did exactly that and it went and hit the corner flag, this bloke taps me on the shoulder and says 'wish I told him not to bother'

Shaun Garnett - The ball never stayed in the ground not to mention the pitch, loved him!

Jordan Slew - Played in the cup v Sheffield Wednesday then broke his back?

Jan Budtz - Goal after goal going in against him at MK Dons

Players that got undeserved stick:

Warne got a fair bit but worked his tripe off, Eardley was a cracking full back, again not liked by quite a few and Chris Taylor, quite a few didn't like him but always thought he was extremely skilful! One last one for me Richard Butcher, worked his socks off every game, not the best technically but hard not to like him for his enthusiasm.

Other players to note: Matty Appleby, Chris Hall, Danny Boshell.

There's been quite a few!

Funny story about Richard Butcher

At the time of his signing I was living in Lincoln and knew all about him. I was told he was a neat footballer with a good engine. I recall a game at Barnsley, I think he scored or had an ok game but still got stick. The Tuesday after I was enjoying a quiet drink in Lincoln and saw him out with Alan Marriot (lincolns gk at the time) and the chief exec of Lincoln. I decided to approach them and offered Richard Butcher a drink to apologise for the stick he was getting from an Oldham fan

6 hours later, visits to 2 different strip clubs and not paying for another drink all night I witnessed the hand shake that took him back to lincoln

The guy was a legend in my eyes, very personable and after the stick he was getting was totally within his rights to tell me to do one. Such a shame he is no longer with us

The worst player in my time of supporting oldham has to be Barry Prenderville

Danny Boshell........that's the cocky git I referred to earlier.

I know we are talking about players who unfairly got :censored: but one player who really p*ssed me off was Paul Bernard. I thought when he first came in to the team we had a quality box-to-box midfielder but the more appearances he made, the less he used to do. You could almost guarantee every game he'd do the Cruyff turn that fooled no-one and if we went a goal behind, he then went into a fit shouting at his team-mates and clapping his ands for more effort before the restart which resulting in him going around the field doing that strange running motion that's the same speed as walking.

Warne got a fair bit but worked his tripe off, Eardley was a cracking full back, again not liked by quite a few and Chris Taylor, quite a few didn't like him but always thought he was extremely skilful! One last one for me Richard Butcher, worked his socks off every game, not the best technically but hard not to like him for his enthusiasm.

Have to disagree about Butcher. Apart from the Wellens game away to Bradford where he scored and had a decent game, I remember him as being pretty poor.

Have to disagree about Butcher. Apart from the Wellens game away to Bradford where he scored and had a decent game, I remember him as being pretty poor.

Yeah, he came with a fair bit of hype (comparitive for our level) and really didnt deliver on it for me.

He looked the part - white boots, wrist bands, "footballer haircut" and all that, but - flattered to decieve. He not on my underrated list, he's on my meh list. He was pretty pap all told. Taken too soon and a tragically young age to die at, but - that aside, he really wasnt very good...