Latics players who get an unfair rap

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never forgiven.

too young to be there at the time, but every time i see it I don't get the stick really that is given to Hughes

1) What an appalling miss from Sharpe at 1-0

2) Craig Fleming was goal side of Hughes and was in front of him, he stopped moving/didn't want to die to get there and clear it and Hughes stretches out in front of him - blame him!!

too young to be there at the time, but every time i see it I don't get the stick really that is given to Hughes

2) Craig Fleming was goal side of Hughes and was in front of him, he stopped moving/didn't want to die to get there and clear it and Hughes stretches out in front of him - blame him!!

I could never blame Craig Fleming for anything in life. I loved that man...

2) Craig Fleming was goal side of Hughes and was in front of him, he stopped moving/didn't want to die to get there and clear it and Hughes

stretches out in front of him - blame him!!

I'd forgotten how many chances we had to win that game......Sharp could have had a hat-trick!

Yeah, he came with a fair bit of hype (comparitive for our level) and really didnt deliver on it for me.

He looked the part - white boots, wrist bands, "footballer haircut" and all that, but - flattered to decieve. He not on my underrated list, he's on my meh list. He was pretty pap all told. Taken too soon and a tragically young age to die at, but - that aside, he really wasnt very good...

I didn't disagree that he wasn't very good but always put in 100%, he came to Oldham with a reputation of being 'good' at our level and it never really worked out for Butcher but he worked hard and surely that's all that could be asked for?

Butcher hadn't even played at our level prior to moving to Oldham. He had a decent reputation in the league below us, but essentially he was a punt. He wasn't very good on the whole, but you could see there was a player in there somewhere. He scored a few quality goals as well.

Butcher hadn't even played at our level prior to moving to Oldham. He had a decent reputation in the league below us, but essentially he was a punt. He wasn't very good on the whole, but you could see there was a player in there somewhere. He scored a few quality goals as well.

True, he found it hard to adapt, and the barracking he got didn't help.

True, he found it hard to adapt, and the barracking he got didn't help.

Was it just an accumulation of crap performances or was it him just having the game from hell that prompted the abuse at Barnsley? Weren't we 3-0 down after 10 minutes or something? On the scale of 1-10, how bad was he copping it?

The side foot miss from Sharp at Wembley was a terrible moment in the history of Latics, and one that could have had as big an impact on our club as any other moment in our 100+ years.

His time as manager was pretty woeful too. Though not being Andy Ritchie meant that he was almost destined to fail in the eyes of the fans.

But I remember at the time of the top flight looking up our results with and without Sharp. I think our worst run in the PL co-incided with Sharp being injured. He had an ability to hold the ball up, release pressure and bring other players into the game. I won't hold one mistake against him for the rest of his life.

I certainly remember the miss by Sharp at Wembley but near the end I remember shouting for Royle to take Beckford off and bring Ritchie on......Sharp was holding onto the hoof ball as much as could and when there wasn't a pass on kicked it out for a throw-in near the corner flag on several occasions whereas when the ball went to Beckford whether it was in the air or on the deck he lost it far too easily for a big lad.

I could never blame Craig Fleming for anything in life. I loved that man...

This I've seen Giggs play against Maldini, Giggs tore him a new one. Fleming had Giggs so deep in his pocket, Giggs' sister-in-law sent out a search party for him and that wasn't just the once either.