What has been the worst season or your Latics supporting life?

Having seen the requests for sub data on the 95/96 season it made me question which of the many dour seasons spent following Latics has been the worst?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a relegation season, or the one with the worst set of results.

For me its a toss up between the 97/98 season under Colin, the 05/06 season under Ronnie and the 09/10 season under Dave Penney.

There may be worse seasons, but under those three managers I felt that I couldn't even enjoy the games we won due to the dire nature of the football style we played.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Moore leaving us close to extinction and Penney's year in charge run it close, however 96-97 is the one that makes me feel most nauseous. I never wanted Graeme Sharp as manager in the first place.... I wanted Andy Ritchie. Sharp treated Ritchie and Rick Holden - two of our hero's - with disdain... brought in all his Everton cronies and 3 years after being 90 seconds from an FA Cup Final, we were playing Wrexham in a league game. My stomach is churning just writing this.

Edited by lookersstandandy

The season Graham Sharp was in charge , the football was tedious beyond belief , and we just got worse and worse .

When Mendonca made it 3-0 for Grimsby I was actually pleased , that is how desperate I was for the manager to leave.

I felt it would be the goal that ended the management regime .....and it was .

Still can't believe Morrissey didn't write a song about that season.

For me the Talbot season was the worst in my time supporting Latics. I expected the Moore season to be one of progress with us flirting with the playoffs. Exactly what we did and why, despite some of the football being poor, I thought he was harshly sacked. The Penney season I expected to be worse quality football than Shez's reign and for there to be a drop due to a lesser budget. The season couldn't have gone much worse unless we were relegated but as my expectations were very low for that season it didn't seem so bad.

But under Talbot I thought we would make steady progress after 03/04 season where our survival was pretty miraculous given the circumstances, but aside from the Man City result we were pretty dreadful throughout and a big disappointment.

The 05/06 season under Ronnie Moore.

It would be 9 years before I bought another season ticket after watching that total and utter dross hoofball he had us playing. I remember coming away from games seething at the :censored: I'd just witnessed even after we'd won! My heart was no longer in watching us, I started going to more aways than home games as at least it was a good day out, and eventually these became less frequent. I went from being a 30 game a season fan to one that went to about 6 to 8 home games a year. Shez started the love affair again, but It was only really last season when I started going to all the home games again and a good number of aways, and this year I have a season ticket once more.

Basically Ronnie Moore nearly made me fall out of love with Latics, I hate that scouse t**t.

Would definitely be Dave Penney!!

However, Penney when he needed a result made sure we got one!!

0-0 at Southampton

0-0 at Charlton

and also the dog awful game at Stockport, won 1-0, Abbott penalty at the other end and both teams got booed off (no surprise really)

Not defending him one bit, poor manager and players, certain ones have been mentioned. I'll take them and raise you:

Darren Byfield

Rene Steer

I always felt a bit sorry for Talbot, he had to work with the unwanted remnants of them Dowie/Moore era eating them budget and whatever else he could add for tuppence ha'penny. Moo on their other hand had pretty much a clean slate and a good budget. I found it much worse under him because I knew there were good players serving the :censored: up.

1965/1966 was pretty bad, just avoided relegation, for the 19 matches of his management Gordon Hurst had a 15.79% winning record, one of the worst ever.

One of one of the best managerial records was Mick Wadsworth, 2001/2002 (35 matches - 42.86%).

The 05/06 season under Ronnie Moore.

It would be 9 years before I bought another season ticket after watching that total and utter dross hoofball he had us playing. I remember coming away from games seething at the :censored: I'd just witnessed even after we'd won! My heart was no longer in watching us, I started going to more aways than home games as at least it was a good day out, and eventually these became less frequent. I went from being a 30 game a season fan to one that went to about 6 to 8 home games a year. Shez started the love affair again, but It was only really last season when I started going to all the home games again and a good number of aways, and this year I have a season ticket once more.

Basically Ronnie Moore nearly made me fall out of love with Latics, I hate that scouse t**t.

This is exactly how the Dave Penney season made me. I have never seen such negative :censored:e. We even seemed to play for a 0-0 in a first round Fa cup game against Leeds. Even when we went 1 down we had no urgency or attacking intent.

Penney made me fall out of love with Latics and sadly unlike you it's never really returned. Once you stop going every week it's hard to get back into it.

The season Graham Sharp was in charge , the football was tedious beyond belief , and we just got worse and worse .

When Mendonca made it 3-0 for Grimsby I was actually pleased , that is how desperate I was for the manager to leave.

I felt it would be the goal that ended the management regime .....and it was .

Still can't believe Morrissey didn't write a song about that season.

Hooray, hooray

Graeme Sharp resigns

Hooray, hooray

Graeme Sharp resigns

And nobody cries

Nobody cries

Because we all want the Oldham to survive