What has been the worst season or your Latics supporting life?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharp was in charge for 2 1/2 seasons.....!!!! The only decent thing I recall him doing was bring Gerry Creaney in on loan who scored a back heel that helped us pull clear of relegation the year before we were doomed.

He was hardly prolific, was that his only goal... and he missed the penalty which Goalkeeper Beckford should have took Vs Wolves.

The one where we went down to this league

I'd say this one too.

We had a habit of conceding crucial late goals, if I remember rightly.

Elm Park, when our relegation was confirmed was an all-time low point for me and the day was fitting for the season. Andy Hughes' back pass that day that gifted them one of their goals, McCarthy having a goal disallowed for no reason, Stitch's missed penalty, Elm Park being just a step up from playing in the local park, Reading's obnoxious fans - awful day to end an awful season.

The one where we went down to this league

I'm not so sure on this one. It was a very bad couple of spells that sent us down finally, but we still drew out some brilliant performances. It started terribly but had a positive middle (losing 1 in 13) and then a bad turn of the year when Sharp was sacked. Colin was brought in too late and with too many restrictions to keep us up.

From that season:

1-0 win away and 3-2 at home vs promotion-chasing Wolves

Battling 0-1 defeat at Keegan's free-flowing Newcastle to a penalty that never was (I got ejected for going postal at the ref. Er, and being pissed)

3-0 away at Bradford

2-1 home win vs Citeh

2-2 at Sheffield United near Xmas

5-1 battering at home to Swindon (Matty Rush - yay!)

Penney's season on the other hand was :censored:ing terrible beyond belief the whole season. Wins we did chalk up were attritional scabby affairs where we defended resolutely and snatched a goal with the one or two chances that presented itself. We should definitely have gone down that season, I think in other seasons we probably would have done with our final points tally.

I've gone through some seasons which I've felt were pretty dull but there have always been decent highlights. The Penney season had NO high points, just :censored:.

From that season:

1-0 win away Wolves

3-0 away at Bradford

2-1 home win vs Citeh

The high points of messrs Ormondroyd, Deirdre Barlow and Nicky Banger.

Was at all three and felt for a while that 96/97 was an improvement on the year before, then a terrible winter/spring before a gut wrenching loss at Reading and here we still are 17 years on.

Edited by AndyGortonsMatches

This is a grim thread.

For me the Graeme sharp season pips the Dave Penney season. The sharp season did have a few highlights as franks the shanks states above it ended in relegation to a division we have struggled so badly to get out of so it's had a much more lasting effect.

Where the Penney season thankfully didn't the fact that Penney had gone and we stayed clear of relegation made me more relieved that we had survived that season and we have since if not progressed steadied the ship.

The sharp season had lasting damage the Penney season didn't.

The Moore season though frustrating was nowhere near as bad as the sharp and Penney seasons and after Christmas saw us put in some good performances which had us around the play offs.

I'm not so sure on this one. It was a very bad couple of spells that sent us down finally, but we still drew out some brilliant performances. It started terribly but had a positive middle (losing 1 in 13) and then a bad turn of the year when Sharp was sacked. Colin was brought in too late and with too many restrictions to keep us up.

From that season:

Battling 0-1 defeat at Keegan's free-flowing Newcastle to a penalty that never was (I got ejected for going postal at the ref. Er, and being pissed)

3-0 away at Bradford

2-1 home win vs Citeh

Penney's season on the other hand was :censored:ing terrible beyond belief the whole season. Wins we did chalk up were attritional scabby affairs where we defended resolutely and snatched a goal with the one or two chances that presented itself. We should definitely have gone down that season, I think in other seasons we probably would have done with our final points tally.

I've gone through some seasons which I've felt were pretty dull but there have always been decent highlights. The Penney season had NO high points, just :censored:.

Colin ?

From that season:

3-0 away at Bradford

2-1 home win vs Citeh

A 1-0 win at QPR that season too, which is probably in my top 20 away days.

I think that's all the games we won that season covered, though...

Penney Season, without a doubt.

The fact that we went away to Stockport, won the game 1-0 and the team/manager were boo'ed off sums up that season perfectly.

Gregan was a rock and kept us up that year, pretty much single-handedly.

Things could only get better from that point, probably why Dickov's first six months we looked like Barcelona.

Can't believe 93-94 hasn't been mentioned, got relegated from the PL, were less than a minute from the cup final only to not get there and the second probably caused the first.

Can't even think of too many notable wins that season, aside from turning over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge (cementing our status as the best side against the current best team in the country in the PL).

OK some are too young to have seen it, and some had the experience to know that was a peak of a peak period of our history, but for a naive 9/10 year old I was still under the impression that Oldham was one of the best sides in the country, mainly because when I started watching us properly we were.

Even when we got relegated to the now League 1 it wasn't as bad- probably because having been in the top flight only a few seasons previously, I was expecting a much quicker return. As we've been closer to relegation than promotion from this league in that time on several occasions the realism has set in a bit.

Can't believe 93-94 hasn't been mentioned, got relegated from the PL, were less than a minute from the cup final only to not get there and the second probably caused the first.

Can't even think of too many notable wins that season, aside from turning over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge (cementing our status as the best side against the current best team in the country in the PL).

OK some are too young to have seen it, and some had the experience to know that was a peak of a peak period of our history, but for a naive 9/10 year old I was still under the impression that Oldham was one of the best sides in the country, mainly because when I started watching us properly we were.

Even when we got relegated to the now League 1 it wasn't as bad- probably because having been in the top flight only a few seasons previously, I was expecting a much quicker return. As we've been closer to relegation than promotion from this league in that time on several occasions the realism has set in a bit.

What do you reckon was the worst season for injuries rudemedic since you've been watching the Latics?

Edited by BP1960

What do you reckon was the worst season for injuries rudemedic since you've been watching the Latics?

Not got a clue, most of the years mentioned between 88 and now are probably all decent contenders. But to be honest it's not something I've been paying enough attention to, so I could be more definitive in my answer.

I would say 02-03 was the worst we started out with murray Armstrong missing then when they came back in late October we lost wynhard hill and low we also had killen Holden and Appleby who were almost permanently injured I think we had double figures in injuries at one point remarkably despite this 38 year old David Eyres stayed fit all the way through.

Arguably those injuries particularly to wynhard and hill cost us promotion.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Up until "that" goal, it'd been a pretty good season. We were on course to stay up comfortably, plus we'd got to the semi-finals in the cup.

If the goal hadn't gone in, chances are we'd have stayed up and won the Cup (we'd already done the double over Chelsea, the winners in the other semi-final that season). I don't think anyone really comprehended the significance of that moment at the time. I actually think only a promotion out of this division will rest that particular demon as it's been downhill ever since then, unless you consider play-off defeats as high points.

However, the 96-97 edges it for me because the true reality of how far we'd sunk kicked in. We seemed deserving of our relegation and there were few signs that we had much idea how to get back..

Edited by JoeP

I'm surprised 08/09 hasn't been mentioned, we got some good results early on. But crap loan signings and the complete capitulation towards the end including that Tranmere game was something which I found incredibly depressing.

That said the following season was no better, but I missed a lot of games due to being in my first year at Uni.