What has been the worst season or your Latics supporting life?

There are some god awful seasons in here, but the Penney one was horrific.

I will never forget the 3-2 home defeat against Brentford when Latics fans were turning on each other in the Rochdale Rd end - horrific - and watched by about 2500!!

It cannot be worse than that - although watching Maidstone tonight in the cup reminds you it can!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a personal point of view, the Moore 05/06 and Penney 09/10 seasons I kind of enjoyed in a weird way.

The Moore season was the first time I got a season ticket, self-funded as I'd moved back home after being away for uni and getting a proper job. Plus as terrible as the method of football was there were a few decent games including 6 wins out of 7 before it all fell apart towards the end.

Penney season started just as I'd moved far away from town yet still had a season ticket, spending weekends driving 4 hours one way to go back for games was something of a novelty for me. Yes we scored less than 1 goal per game but I really appreciated watching my team as I'd suddenly found myself based a long way from home.

For me the worst seasons have been cases of early promise leading to abject endings. The hope that kills you, if you will.

06/07 - we were top of the league mid-February, everybody raving about Shez's brave young team blasting oppositions all over the place. 5 games later we were 14 points off the pace. We limped to 6th place then fittingly with how weak we'd shown ourselves up to be we put in an apologetic performance in the play-offs and let Kiegan Parker tear us a new one. It was bewildering how much confidence we'd lost in such a short space of time.

08/09 - this time we were actually people's favourites to do well that season. A few shrewd signings, we'd formed a strong team, gotten several impressive results, and were still up there til quite late on in the season. Then the hungover 5-0 at Hereford, dog-gate, Jan Budtz, Shez falling on his sword.... we'd started so well, yet we were a mess come the end of that season. A horrible mess.

10/11 - Dickov's first season. Again, a brave new world emerging from a bad regime, a young side, some excellent performances early on. But we were spineless when challenged and completely toothless when times got tough. Something like 10 games without scoring, 0-6 and 0-5 defeats at home, blowing a 3-0 lead at home to Exeter with 11 minutes remaining, giving Penney his only victory as Bristol Rovers manager, playing a clearly knackered Tounkara up front every week, Ben Amos making Dean Brill look like a better option... Again, we were in the play-offs in Feb, yet we struggled to avoid relegation. Even Penney's team finished higher...

Edited by Nervous_Tic

I was lucky to have missed the Penney disaster as an overseas supporter so I gotta go with 93-94. I can still remember the desolate feeling after the Norwich match and the emotions that after four or five brilliant years, that was it - the party was over.

Plus the way it all fell apart towards the end of that season after we had looked like turning it around. All the home games towards the end of that season just seemed the same - us huffing and puffing but the ball just not going in the net. The names still haunt me - obviously bastard Hughes but also Ludo Miklosko having a stormer for West Ham against us, 97-year-old Alan Cork scoring against us for Sheff U....just a terrible end to the season.

God I need a drink just thinking about that...

Then the hungover 5-0 at Hereford

One of the worst days to be a Latics fan. So much hope and optimism. We were third, they were second bottom, and we had beaten them 4-0 at home just 3 months earlier.

Instead we were 4-0 down before half time. We have fans fighting in the stand. We never really recovered after that game that year.

Edited by latic12345

The irony of Dickov's first season is that we were in the play-off spots for much of February.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9377242.stm

43 points from 27 games.

Look at that team for the Hartlepool game! Amos, Furman, Taylor, White, Lee Stephens. All went on to play higher level!

And unbelievably we were only a point behind Southampton

Look at that team for the Hartlepool game! Amos, Furman, Taylor, White, Lee Stephens. All went on to play higher level!

that was Reuben Reid's debut when he came on and looked like a world-beater. Then he was :censored:e.

Doing alright at our reseves though at Plymouth.

1953/54 was the worst, when the Board made no attempt to strengthen George Hardwick's superb Third Division North champions and we went straight back down. Two of the worst which suddenly became great ones to remember were 1965/66, when the Bates era began that Xmas. We were very unlucky to lose in the FA cup to West Ham, the European Cup-Winner's Cup holders and with the nucleus of the World Cup winners a few months later. The win at home against Oxford in the last game of the season, which kept us up, was a great ending, and we were on Match of the Day - in those days there was only one main match, something unthinkable in these days of the society of the spectacle.1969/70 was heading for Gotterdamerung when we lost 8-1 at Peterborough, again just before Xmas. Jimmy Frizzell took over and we had a magnificent time avoiding what had seemed to be certain re-election; next season we got promoted, with King of the jungle, Jim Fryat,t leading the charge.

One of the worst days to be a Latics fan. So much hope and optimism. We were third, they were second bottom, and we had beaten them 4-0 at home just 3 months earlier.

Instead we were 4-0 down before half time. We have fans fighting in the stand. We never really recovered after that game that year.

The only ever time I've left a match before the end

The Ronnie Moore era. Even when we won it felt like a defeat when walking out of the ground. Thank goodness for Luke Beckett. The football was dire. Only trumped by Dave Penney, dire football and less wins!

It was never that bad with Moore, loads of good stuff, plenty of bad, there wasn't much middle ground.

The only ever time I've left a match before the end

Yup. That and the day John Sheridan received abuse beyond the pale at MK for me.

On the day in question we were in the pub by 4.30. A dreadful day cheered up only by the local copy of tractor weekly on promotion in the newsagents on the way back to the station

Wheres andy white infact, not catching at leeds is he? nor is Taylor.. both handy players! Hows stephens doing now?

Sharp was bad

Talbot was bad

Penney was worse

but the worst season for me personally (and I think this might surprise a few people )

Dickov towards the end .............

I lost my love of latics ........

I nearly lost the will to live

I nearly stopped going to games .

nice guy crap manager , could not go soon enough for me