What has been the worst season or your Latics supporting life?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1953/54 was the worst, when the Board made no attempt to strengthen George Hardwick's superb Third Division North champions and we went straight back down. Two of the worst which suddenly became great ones to remember were 1965/66, when the Bates era began that Xmas. We were very unlucky to lose in the FA cup to West Ham, the European Cup-Winner's Cup holders and with the nucleus of the World Cup winners a few months later. The win at home against Oxford in the last game of the season, which kept us up, was a great ending, and we were on Match of the Day - in those days there was only one main match, something unthinkable in these days of the society of the spectacle.1969/70 was heading for Gotterdamerung when we lost 8-1 at Peterborough, again just before Xmas. Jimmy Frizzell took over and we had a magnificent time avoiding what had seemed to be certain re-election; next season we got promoted, with King of the jungle, Jim Fryat,t leading the charge.

Yes i was "fortunate" enough to have seen our 8-1 defeat at Peterborough after which the Chron reporter and legendary boozer Jim Williams claimed we were unlucky. 68/69 was dreadful and 69/70 started even worse until Jimmy Frizz took over.

Penney season for me, Football was dire, we looked so weak and never looked like scoring always went backwards with it, thank god we had Gregan that season or we would of been down, Dave Pisstain s "I don't give a monkeys" comment just really proved what an absolute tool we had in charge of our club and his stint at Bristol Rovers afterwards proved what a :censored:e manager he was, sacked after 3 months

Sharp was bad

Talbot was bad

Penney was worse

but the worst season for me personally (and I think this might surprise a few people )

Dickov towards the end .............

I lost my love of latics ........

I nearly lost the will to live

I nearly stopped going to games .

nice guy crap manager , could not go soon enough for me

God I know, beating Forest and Liverpool, those were truly the dog days...