Sheff Utd Post Match

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like Big George, this post is how I feel, Timothee was outstanding yesterday, he is becoming a valuable asset to the squad. If James Wilson picks up an injury or accrues a suspension my hope is that George would partner Timothee as they would be similar as a partnership as George and James.

We are actually holding a decent hand defensively.

Dieng rarely lost a tackle, but his distribution is fairly poor. Yet he still tried the Steven Gerrard cross-field ball every time.

Dieng rarely lost a tackle, but his distribution is fairly poor. Yet he still tried the Steven Gerrard cross-field ball every time.

I agree a few times he looked to play a long ball to Forte or Jabo and tended to over hit them. Something that the coaching staff can work on but in all truth if my defenders can defend well i look on that as a big plus. How many centre halfs have we had that can play the killer ball out of defence? Possibly Jobbo, and in recent years Tarky looked like he had it in his armour.

Think we may be in the top 3 followings in the country next week nevermind League 1.

That means there were only 2129 Rochdale fans at the game!! Truly shocking for team punching well above their weight and in a play off spot.

We may outnumber them almost 2 to 1 in next week's 'Home' game.

I agree a few times he looked to play a long ball to Forte or Jabo and tended to over hit them. Something that the coaching staff can work on but in all truth if my defenders can defend well i look on that as a big plus. How many centre halfs have we had that can play the killer ball out of defence? Possibly Jobbo, and in recent years Tarky looked like he had it in his armour.

Ian Marshall.

Fitz Hall hit a great long ball out of defence.

I'm really not sure how people can still have faith in Rachubka?

Off the top of my head that's goals from Colchester, Leyton Orient, Peterborough, Walsall and Sheffield United where we might as well have not had a keeper plus his mistake last week.

We're not exactly free scoring, these mistakes will cost us.

Rachubka is perfect proof that goalkeeping isn't all about shot stopping. I don't think it's any coincidence that the defence has looked much more comfortable and solid since he replaced Oxley in March. Replacing him with any other keeper would lead to at least 2 or 3 games where the defence would be unsettled, with no guarantee that the keeper would be able to make the same connection with the defence (especially if the keeper is young and fairly inexperienced like Etheridge).

3 defeats in 28 league games since he came in, 9 clean sheets in that period. We should always look for upgrades when available but changing the keeper at present would be the most destabilising thing we could do, so it would have to be a replacement akin to Lee Grant's level of ability to make a positive difference. Which won't come cheap.

Refereeing was disgraceful. Ibehre's first booking to giving them throw ins that never were their's, he was appalling.

Not a bad performance I thought by ourselves. We seemed to lose all footballing ability once they scored though. Johnson and Mills in particular couldn't pick out a player in blue. Decent result, but off the first half alone we should've scored more than a single goal.

Interesting to see Philliskirk take up Winchester's position and Johnson at the point of the diamond. They both played well, but I don't think the counter attacking style we had for some of the first half suits their styles as well as an higher system does. We wasted too many breaks. Them two should tear up teams at home though.

I'm happy with away draws, especially against the opposition we've faced on the road so far, but we have to turn these draws into victories at the lower end teams we're going to face soon.

Am I the only one who thought the ref wasnt as :censored: as was made out? He was poor, his linesmen really didnt help him, but the vast majority of bookings were deserved. Ibehre's first might have been unjust, but when youre booked you cant go impeding throw ins & effing & jeffing at officials. I think the majority of my frustration is that 6 times Sheff Utd hacked us down on the counter attack & each time it was a different player, meaning that their bookings were shared out.

We were good for the win, & should have been out of sight, but once again we throw a lead away. We need some backbone & some killer touches. At times we were in a decent position where we could try & work a forward move & turned back to try & keep possession. We didnt mix it up enough, & didnt look very dangerous, we need to be more ruthless, that Sheff U team were there for the taking.

It's a difficult one, this.

One on hand you have an experienced keeper who's been part of a rejuvenated Latics side that's lost only 3 times in nearly 30 games. He's pivotal in the way he initiates counters from quick throw outs to Kelly or the full backs and looks to have build a decent understanding with whoever plays CB for us.

Then the other hand you have someone who is clearly susceptible to long range shots or free kicks, isn't a great shot stopper and lacks the agility and reflexes needed to improve that facet of his game.

LJ needs to ask himself which is more important, because Rachubka certainly isn't going to improve on the latter hand at this stage of his career, but as I've said is key in how we initiate a number of counter attacks. If Etheridge can match Rachubka's ability in that regards, and can show he's a better shot stopper then he's obviously got a chance of taking the #1 jersey when he gets his chance. Otherwise we stick with waht we have.

We can't be too greedy though when you look at the :censored:e we've had in the sticks in the last few years. I guess that whilst I'm looking at us putting in performances worthy of the top 2 this season and thinking we should have a better keeper, I'm also aware that it could be a lot, lot worse and we still have a keeper of league one standard, and whatever spare pennies we do have would be best spent putting towards a potential striker or getting Johnson for the rest of the season.

Am I the only one who thought the ref wasnt as :censored: as was made out? He was poor, his linesmen really didnt help him, but the vast majority of bookings were deserved. Ibehre's first might have been unjust, but when youre booked you cant go impeding throw ins & effing & jeffing at officials. I think the majority of my frustration is that 6 times Sheff Utd hacked us down on the counter attack & each time it was a different player, meaning that their bookings were shared out.

We were good for the win, & should have been out of sight, but once again we throw a lead away. We need some backbone & some killer touches. At times we were in a decent position where we could try & work a forward move & turned back to try & keep possession. We didnt mix it up enough, & didnt look very dangerous, we need to be more ruthless, that Sheff U team were there for the taking.

I think that's fair, but looking back at the highlights he was far too quick to bring out the yellow for Ibhere's first and got conned by their player for him second (who slyly gets up as soon as the red comes out).

Most of the bookings he had no choice about, but it was all of the 50-50's that he gave to Sheff U that annoyed me. Most of the time we won the ball, so they fell over, and they got the decision.

Same can be said for a few away games this season ,

Preston to name one , all there for the taking and with a little bit of belief we could be 5 points clear of Bristol !!!!!

The ref was dreadful regardless of Jabo's red. He let them get away with all sorts until the started with fouls that he couldn't ignore. If he'd dealt with them from the off they'd have been under fair more pressure and would have several yellows to worry about earlier on. He was a :censored:.