Cristian Montano to sue club

Hello fellow Latics fans. My first post here. I'm a long time lurker but felt the need to reply to this so was awaiting authorisation to post.

My personal feelings are that there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. I post post my musings on the matter and make it clear that they are not the thoughts of the club or the forum.

What do we know about the situation?

* That Montano was on camera saying he would take money to fix a bit of spot betting.

* Montano was dismissed for gross misconduct.

* That Oldham held back a payment to West Ham for ' Non disclosure' of a serious offence.

* Montano faced trial for gang-rape (potentially a re-trial too due to a hung jury).

Now let's read between the lines, although I may be 'over-thinking' this as a former TU rep, this is my albeit assumed dissection;

By the time the spot fixing thing hit the press, OAFC were well aware of the gang rape allegation, fearing being viewed as a 'club for cons' (Lee Hughes) they will have looked through details of his transfer, so he or WHU have failed to have notified of 'pending charges' so employment was gained on false grounds. If one lies on their job application there is no 'statute of limitation'.

I suspect that he was asked about why this wasn't disclosed and he/his rep said they believed WHU would have told OAFC of the details hence why OAFC said they believed WHU sold him under false pretences and lodged a complaint. They needed evidence from somewhere.

Storm in a tea cup. He has almost no employment rights off the duration of his time with us.

He can rot in hell for all I care.

Hello fellow Latics fans. My first post here. I'm a long time lurker but felt the need to reply to this so was awaiting authorisation to post.

My personal feelings are that there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. I post post my musings on the matter and make it clear that they are not the thoughts of the club or the forum.

What do we know about the situation?

* That Montano was on camera saying he would take money to fix a bit of spot betting.

* Montano was dismissed for gross misconduct.

* That Oldham held back a payment to West Ham for ' Non disclosure' of a serious offence.

* Montano faced trial for gang-rape (potentially a re-trial too due to a hung jury).

Now let's read between the lines, although I may be 'over-thinking' this as a former TU rep, this is my albeit assumed dissection;

By the time the spot fixing thing hit the press, OAFC were well aware of the gang rape allegation, fearing being viewed as a 'club for cons' (Lee Hughes) they will have looked through details of his transfer, so he or WHU have failed to have notified of 'pending charges' so employment was gained on false grounds. If one lies on their job application there is no 'statute of limitation'.

I suspect that he was asked about why this wasn't disclosed and he/his rep said they believed WHU would have told OAFC of the details hence why OAFC said they believed WHU sold him under false pretences and lodged a complaint. They needed evidence from somewhere.

Storm in a tea cup. He has almost no employment rights off the duration of his time with us.

He can rot in hell for all I care.

Welcome to OWTB fella - and in time-honoured fashion I'm gonna completely disagree with everything you say and start a slanging match! Nah, not really. You make some strong points and you are probably correct with what you say.

BUT: I would say the following: while I'm not defending Montano, if the club did not follow correct procedures for sacking him and he can show that then he may - MAY - legally have a case. Doesn't matter if the club reckons they were justified in sacking him (which they probably were on prima facie evidence) - if they didn't do things by the book then he may have a case.

At the end of the day, his career's ruined, future earning potential ruined, reputation ruined, life ruined - if I had been legal advice that I may be able to screw some cash out of the club because they didn't do things properly, in his position I'd probably follow this course of action too.

I have sympathy for people who are encouraged to say unwise things and have been recorded doing so. It is particularly difficult for them if what they say is backed up by other events and actions. We have to trust that OAFC will get this right now, as what we saw and heard at the time did seem to support the action the club took.

Welcome to OWTB fella

Cheers!

IIRC, and we take the club at their word, they only became aware of the rape allegation after they'd fired him, but before his appeal was heard.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-sack-cristian-montano-6409446

Blimey, his area is cheap. A 3 bed detached for £116k!?!?! Suppose having an *accused* rapist in the street knocks house prices down though...