Rochdale v Oldham - pound for pound footballs weirdest & least important derby?

I'm as giddy as the next man about Saturday but only for the piss up and atmosphere in the pubs & the ground.

I'll be disappointed if we don't win but only because to beat play off rivals away with 4000 of us celebrating would be great to be part of.

But other than that, I feel nothing towards them.

The only thing I've got against them is that, last time they came up, and in that cup game, we made the effort that could have began a bit of a rivalry but they responded with pitiful away followings at BP. It was almost like they didn't want to encourage us, spurned our advances....

Are there any other derby's where two clubs so close together geographically have hardly ever played each other down the years and bear no ill will?

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm as giddy as the next man about Saturday but only for the piss up and atmosphere in the pubs & the ground.

I'll be disappointed if we don't win but only because to beat play off rivals away with 4000 of us celebrating would be great to be part of.

But other than that, I feel nothing towards them.

The only thing I've got against them is that, last time they came up, and in that cup game, we made the effort that could have began a bit of a rivalry but they responded with pitiful away followings at BP. It was almost like they didn't want to encourage us, spurned our advances....

Are there any other derby's where two clubs so close together geographically have hardly ever played each other down the years and bear no ill will?

"least important derby" and "4,000 of us celebrating".

Whether you like it or not, this game does mean a lot to many of us who follow Latics. Just accept it.

I get the impression the whole Oldham vs Rochdale rivalry is more about a rivalry between two neighbouring towns rather than a rivalry about two Football clubs. Which I suppose is how most of the traditional Football rivalries started out.

Is there even a rivalry between the two towns? Over what?

Is it still the norm to go out there? We used to regularly 20 years ago but felt no animosity towards them, nor recieved any for being from Oldham.

Is it still the norm to go out there? We used to regularly 20 years ago but felt no animosity towards them, nor recieved any for being from Oldham.

I'd say there can be rivalries between towns, in most cases it's purely down to Geographical convenience. I've never lived in Oldham and like you I feel a bit "meh" about Saturday but I get the impression that it means more to those who live in Oldham than those of us who don't.

It's a derby with no history. Rochdale have more of a historical rivalry with Bury in the last decade or so as we have with tranmere.

If we are both challenging for the playoffs that will crank it up and if we were to meet in the play offs that would really intensify it, can you imagine how losing to Rochdale in the playoffs would feel?

Edited by GlossopLatic

All it takes is for us to smash dale 4-0 at Spotland and they'll be well up for revenge in Jan. Rinse and repeat and it may slowly start turning into a Derby that means more than just 3pts.

Of course I'd rather we just got promoted and didn't have to play them again....

I gravitated much more to Dale for going out, thinking back Rochdale was much better for a club night, Oldham had better boozers. I never felt out of place, but my accent was more Oldham and a fair bit of neither.

Edited to make sense

Edited by leeslover

I don't know one Rochdale fan and I don't feel any rivalry with them whatsoever. I hope they do well, as long it's not to our disadvantage. I'm excited that 3000+ Latics fans will be there to watch a clash that, should we win, will likely put us in the play offs or level on points with 6th. The opposition is irrelevant to me for this match.

For those who don't see Dale as a passionate derby, who do you see as our biggest rivals?

I know plenty of Dale fans and it'd be great lording it up over them for a few weeks. If you're from Ashton and Fitton Hill I can see why you couldn't give a flying fook but us in Sholver as well as the Gawbies of Shaw have Rochdale 01706 dialling codes. We're spitting distance.

I live in the borough of Rochdale and have done for longer than I've been supporting Oldham. I'm more arsed about beating Bury than I am Dale at the moment.

Give it a few years of us playing each other and that might change though.