Rochdale v Oldham - pound for pound footballs weirdest & least important derby?

"im more arsed" i couldn't care less who the opposition is, I want 3 points from every game, and if we do it makes for a class day... the fact there'll be 3000/4000 of us there to share a big win that puts us in the play off makes it even better! be that bury, rochdale, huddersfield or leeds.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't get yourself excited about this game then you need to reconsider what the hell you are doing supporting and paying money into a 3rd division club. If you look on a map Rochdale is next to Oldham, Rochdale Rd in Oldham goes to Rochdale and Oldham Rd in Rochdale goes to Oldham. What more needs to be said?

We play enough non-entity clubs throughout the season we might as well have a bit of fun with this one. We generated an atmosphere against Brentford, let's do it again on Saturday. I'm hoping for a good old sing song, cheering our goals, having a laugh, taking the mick out of them and enjoying a day out at the football.

If you can't get yourself excited about this game then you need to reconsider what the hell you are doing supporting and paying money into a 3rd division club. If you look on a map Rochdale is next to Oldham, Rochdale Rd in Oldham goes to Rochdale and Oldham Rd in Rochdale goes to Oldham. What more needs to be said?

We play enough non-entity clubs throughout the season we might as well have a bit of fun with this one. We generated an atmosphere against Brentford, let's do it again on Saturday. I'm hoping for a good old sing song, cheering our goals, having a laugh, taking the mick out of them and enjoying a day out at the football.

This!

The more I think about it, the more bizarre it is we get worked up when we play Huddersfield, 20 miles away, or Tranmere 40 miles away, but people aren't arsed about a team that shares a postcode with us!

For me: Weeks ago it wasnt important. Now it is, next week it wont be.

It's more important too as we haven't won in a few league games. We need a win.

A win on saturday puts us in a decent position going into December.

I'm looking forward to it as it's the closest trip and a decent away following, but as a one off Id rather beat a few other sides in the division than dale.

Edited by pukka

Derbies / grudge matches are something that you just feel.

Proximity of location is important, but on its own its not enough to generate that real sense of rivalry.

You also need to have had a history of games between the two sides - to have built up 'scores that need settling', to have previous opportunity to crow and goad the opposition fans at work/in the pub/even within the same family.

I have been following Latics since the early/mid 80s and can only recall a handfull of matches against Dale, and those in the last couple of seasons. In my opinion, not enough to have built much of a rivalry.

In fact for most of my football following life I have looked out for Rochdale's results and hoped that did OK and maybe, just maybe got out of the bottom division. For a good proportion of this time we were in the top 2 divisions and they felt a million miles away from being a rival of any type.

We have played far more games against the Yorkshire teams - and whilst not as close the 'Roses' element adds something to the mix that makes it feel a bit more of a grudge match (and for me personally having lived and worked over the wrong side of the hills for 20 years I get a lot more local banter about these games).

I personally found the Tranmere rivalry a bit odd - other than disliking Ronnie Moore - and now he has gone I find myself hoping that they stay in the League. I prefer to play northern teams - they bring more fans, and they are easier to get to for away matches.

If Latics and Dale have a run of fixtures against each other over the next 3-4 seasons, particularly if we are both chasing the Play-offs, then I am sure the rivalry will intensify. But as it is, it only has a slightly more important feel to it than any other fixture against a team we are contending with.

Derbies / grudge matches are something that you just feel.

Proximity of location is important, but on its own its not enough to generate that real sense of rivalry.

You also need to have had a history of games between the two sides - to have built up 'scores that need settling', to have previous opportunity to crow and goad the opposition fans at work/in the pub/even within the same family.

I have been following Latics since the early/mid 80s and can only recall a handfull of matches against Dale, and those in the last couple of seasons. In my opinion, not enough to have built much of a rivalry.

In fact for most of my football following life I have looked out for Rochdale's results and hoped that did OK and maybe, just maybe got out of the bottom division. For a good proportion of this time we were in the top 2 divisions and they felt a million miles away from being a rival of any type.

We have played far more games against the Yorkshire teams - and whilst not as close the 'Roses' element adds something to the mix that makes it feel a bit more of a grudge match (and for me personally having lived and worked over the wrong side of the hills for 20 years I get a lot more local banter about these games).

I personally found the Tranmere rivalry a bit odd - other than disliking Ronnie Moore - and now he has gone I find myself hoping that they stay in the League. I prefer to play northern teams - they bring more fans, and they are easier to get to for away matches.

If Latics and Dale have a run of fixtures against each other over the next 3-4 seasons, particularly if we are both chasing the Play-offs, then I am sure the rivalry will intensify. But as it is, it only has a slightly more important feel to it than any other fixture against a team we are contending with.

I take the point you are making here, but Burnley v Blackburn has an intensity even though (in my football supporting lifetime) they've largely been in separate divisions as have Southampton and Portsmouth where there's no love lost

I take the point you are making here, but Burnley v Blackburn has an intensity even though (in my football supporting lifetime) they've largely been in separate divisions as have Southampton and Portsmouth where there's no love lost

were you ever in Rochdale when Burnley played them in the 4th division? They found a new home for their affections whilst Blackburn were away.

were you ever in Rochdale when Burnley played them in the 4th division? They found a new home for their affections whilst Blackburn were away.

I was, they still used to sing the "no nay never" song through the game though............ interestingly they used to give Burnley half the ground. They should do the same with us!

That is probably down to the fact that both examples you've used are just as much about a rivalry between two towns than it is about two Football teams

I was, they still used to sing the "no nay never" song through the game though............ interestingly they used to give Burnley half the ground. They should do the same with us!

They gave them half the ground and there were still 10000 of them waiting outside!

I went to one of those.

Jimmy Mullen was manager (the massive weapon).

I think they needed to win to go up or secure a playoff spot or it might have been a playoff semi (?)

Burnley had 2, if not 3 sides of the ground.

oafc21 drove and him and two others were the last 3 to get in one of the Burnley ends.

I had to go in with Rochdale because I was the youngest/softest.

Which was :censored:.

The Burnley ends were mental.

Bastards.

I always remember some Burnley fans arriving in a really :censored:ty old car painted claret & blue - a ford cortina estate I think.

Edited by HarryBosch

A Dale fan in the season preview in August's issue of When Saturday Comes said something along the lines of 'We'll finish mid table - if that's above Oldham, even better'

I'll rip his bloody 'ead off!!!

Was probably an Oldham fan who wrote that just trying to spice it up a bit.