Phil Hughes (Aussie cricketer) in an induced coma

He was targeted in the 2009 Ashes for being iffy against the short ball. So when you're watching, you're thinking, "Give him a short ball and see how he goes."

Is that willing an injury on someone? I feel a bit queasy after watching that.

It's a fair question but I don't think so. Pain maybe but not serious harm. Of course we all laughed when Punter got his head cut but it takes a freak incident to do something like that with modern equipment

It's a fair question but I don't think so. Pain maybe but not serious harm. Of course we all laughed when Punter got his head cut but it takes a freak incident to do something like that with modern equipment

Exactly that isn't it. Hit him, knock the wind out of him, rattle him... sure, 100% - but never do you want to see that. The video made me gag, you literally watch his brain stop working about two seconds after he's hit.

I'll wait for Dr Doolittle to come along and point out my lack of knowledge - but I would wildly speculate that's his brain swelling?

Personally if I was a doctor, I'd induce a coma until the cerebral edema subsides, gradually bringing the patient off the Glasgow scale. As for post-intensive care care, I'd recommend a mixture of psychological and physiological interventions to determine the patient's fitness for given tasks for a year or more. I'd certainly recommend not playing cricket ever again.

He has most likely had an extradural haematoma/haemorrhage. This is where a blow to the head causing blood to form in the space between the skull and the brain, (which is the dural space). It isn't the brain swelling, it's closer to the opposite, the brain is getting crushed.

The period of lucidity you see is quite common in head injuries, Petr Cech was conscious in the dressing room and then deteriorated rapidly after the head injury that means he wears that scrum cap.

Due to the location of the injury they might have to ensure he can see properly afterwards too. As that bit of the skull, the occipital lobe, is an area that is heavily involved with sight.

Personally if I was a doctor, I'd induce a coma until the cerebral edema subsides, gradually bringing the patient off the Glasgow scale. As for post-intensive care care, I'd recommend a mixture of psychological and physiological interventions to determine the patient's fitness for given tasks for a year or more. I'd certainly recommend not playing cricket ever again.

What American website did you get that from.

We spell it oedema in this country, the same way we spell oesophagus as opposed to esophagus.

To be honest if he plays international cricket again I'd be very surprised, like hinted, he is going to have some psychological injury on top of the physiological injury, which may well have long-term sequelae.

It's spelt 'edema' in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and in Snomed (google it).

What a horrible freak accident. Hopefully he'll be fine.

If I spelt it edema in an exam I wouldn't get full marks.

It is a freak accident but I suppose he is the unlucky one as this could well cause a helmet redesign.

He has most likely had an extradural haematoma/haemorrhage. This is where a blow to the head causing blood to form in the space between the skull and the brain, (which is the dural space). It isn't the brain swelling, it's closer to the opposite, the brain is getting crushed.

The period of lucidity you see is quite common in head injuries, Petr Cech was conscious in the dressing room and then deteriorated rapidly after the head injury that means he wears that scrum cap.

Due to the location of the injury they might have to ensure he can see properly afterwards too. As that bit of the skull, the occipital lobe, is an area that is heavily involved with sight.

Thanks, doctor. FYI, I made it up on the hoof. No google, no nothing. I just sat there and typed that crap out without hardly even thinking about it.

It's probably classier than the prognosis provided by your average Australian doctor. They'll probably take his head off to get a better look.

Thanks, doctor. FYI, I made it up on the hoof. No google, no nothing. I just sat there and typed that crap out without hardly even thinking about it.

It's probably classier than the prognosis provided by your average Australian doctor. They'll probably take his head off to get a better look.

Careful I know a Sydney neurosurgeon.

We spell it oedema in this country, the same way we spell oesophagus as opposed to esophagus.

To be honest if he plays international cricket again I'd be very surprised, like hinted, he is going to have some psychological injury on top of the physiological injury, which may well have long-term sequelae.

What?

About time! :wink:

Thank you!