What happened to wingers?

We've had far too many wingers in recent years with no end product. A far cry from when we had Eyresey putting in a quality ball on a regular basis

Agreed, consistently performing wingers are like gold dust at this level and, more often than not, they are a liability defensively.

I don't mind us playing two wide players but I think it works best when you have one who is almost a central midfielder that is good positionally and helps the full back, and one who gets forward a lot to help the attackers and pretty much plays like an attacker. Pretty much what Winchester and Forte did earlier in the season.

Do wingers even exist in the modern game? I'm not talking players who play out wide in a front 3 but actual wide men in a 4 man midfield who get to the byline and cross etc.

The current style is largely through the middle either on the floor or in the air. I can't really think of any traditional touchline-hugging winger at any level.

When a club lime United with their sot of history play two wingers at full back i's fair to say that the modern game has moved on from traditional wingers; not necessarily for the best.

Perhaps a result of greater mobility in central defenders.

Edited by Dave_Og

Too much emphasis on keeping the ball has stifled attacking play at our level of the game. The tikka-takka method works at the highest level, but when you think of the teams who have gained promotion at our level in recent years I think only Swansea have played a passing gamel. Most of the successful sides tend gamble more in the final third and as a result end up grinding out results by being more clinical than the rest of the sides in the Division. The amount of times we've lost to a team at the top and heard a fellow fan say something along the lines of "they were nothing special". But the reality they didn't need to be, they have just taken their chances in a game where we haven't. Preston away last season being the prime example, we kept the ball well but how often did we trouble their keeper?

Edited by Tommy_Fent