Another away allocation sold out - best away support in the land?

Here I go again harking back to the good old days, but back then in the football league away clubs used to receive half the home gate receipts, not sure when that was abolished though?

Pretty sure it was before the Premier League I read it was the big six such as Man United, Liverpool etc that called for it to happen.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think that was the year we were in the play-offs under Dowie and Bury got relegated.

Bury's fans had a fall out with the club over away membership or some other similar restriction too. So a lot boycotted their away games.

There is one major flaw in using away fan % of home gate as a marker of away support is that the sample size means you can get a skewed percentage towards those smaller clubs.

Our away support is fantastic though and thanks to OASIS we often get very good gates at away games down South, especially the mid-week ones. There might be something in that due to when we were really good and the disposable income of fans who started supporting us in the late 80s early 90s too, and how common it is for those fans of that age group to live away from where they grew up.

The 350 or so at Orient away midweek last season was a very impressive following, I'm guessing this was largely due to OASIS.

It was in the mid 80s when the great Manure got fed up with teams coming to OT and walking away with a nice fat cheque from the gate receipts.

They pushed a motion through to stop it and for teams to keep their own gate money , it was the start of the GREED.

The big clubs just got greedier and the rest is history !!!

Far be it from me to defend them but that sounds pretty fair to me rather than greedy........?

The 350 or so at Orient away midweek last season was a very impressive following, I'm guessing this was largely due to OASIS.

I keep reading similar to this - how many of them tend to turn up at a southern away game?

I've no idea but have always imagined about 20 tops rather than a large proportion of 350 midweek at Orient....

Edited by HarryBosch

Far be it from me to defend them but that sounds pretty fair to me rather than greedy........?

Well it depends if sport is about making money or the competition. Certain clubs would always be able to rely on a competitive edge financially but the old system ensured a certain level of parity that now as a notion seems absurd. The old system would preserve the sport and maintain a reasonably balanced competition, the new system was so the fat cats could get fatter.

• 2 weeks later...

Our away support is ok when we are doing well - drops off pretty quick when we aren't. Home support stays bobbins simply because BP is an awful place for a day out. Away support has not always been good. I remember a gang of us in the early 80s being about the ONLY Latics fans at West Ham for a night match - all 7/8 of us lol !

Also distinctly remember the same gang being amongst about 70 Latics fans away at Sheffield Weds on Saturday afternoon around the same era - the bloody police stuck us in their end!

Yes it's true - about 70 away for a Saturday match in Sheffield.

I keep reading similar to this - how many of them tend to turn up at a southern away game?

I've no idea but have always imagined about 20 tops rather than a large proportion of 350 midweek at Orient....

I was at that game. I live in oldham. But met up with my son and his girlfriend who live in twickenham

She was hooked after korey smith's last minute corker

Unfortunately her next game was mk last week!

Our away support is ok when we are doing well - drops off pretty quick when we aren't. Home support stays bobbins simply because BP is an awful place for a day out. Away support has not always been good. I remember a gang of us in the early 80s being about the ONLY Latics fans at West Ham for a night match - all 7/8 of us lol !

Also distinctly remember the same gang being amongst about 70 Latics fans away at Sheffield Weds on Saturday afternoon around the same era - the bloody police stuck us in their end!

Yes it's true - about 70 away for a Saturday match in Sheffield.

What are your opinions on City's support? Edited by Ryan

Lee - I`m afraid you'll have to have it - because it's true ! At times, we've had truly awful support - even Man City away (again in the 80s) - I remember we were in the small bit of the Kippax - probably only took about 600 that day - to City (unthinkable now I know).

Sunderland away in the FA cup - (70s) - one Latics fan ran onto pitch and planted a balloon in the centre circle - weren't many at Roker Park at all. Away matches didn't seem to be the 'big deal' they were nowadays. Times change.

Oh - and my opinion on City's away support? My cousin is a mad City fan - and he describes their away support as incredible. Personally, I haven't a clue - except I remember them taking over BP in the 80s before wrecking the place - think the RRE was full by about 1.30pm - so they climbed on pitch and went into the Ford Stand before starting to rip all the seats out - utter mayhem.

Lee - I`m afraid you'll have to have it - because it's true ! At times, we've had truly awful support - even Man City away (again in the 80s) - I remember we were in the small bit of the Kippax - probably only took about 600 that day - to City (unthinkable now I know).

Sunderland away in the FA cup - (70s) - one Latics fan ran onto pitch and planted a balloon in the centre circle - weren't many at Roker Park at all. Away matches didn't seem to be the 'big deal' they were nowadays. Times change.

My memories very hit and miss but didnt we used to get the corner of the kippax stand ? Your right though leading up to the late 80's away crowds were very poor, even for local fixtures.

Oh - and my opinion on City's away support? My cousin is a mad City fan - and he describes their away support as incredible. Personally, I haven't a clue - except I remember them taking over BP in the 80s before wrecking the place - think the RRE was full by about 1.30pm - so they climbed on pitch and went into the Ford Stand before starting to rip all the seats out - utter mayhem.

:lol: