Is it as simple as a bollocking gone wrong?

... After Doncaster. Which was added to with a message of "we wanted to bring in more players but can't now" which could also be interpreted by the team as "he doesn't think we're good enough".

I can't believe Paul Murray leaving was the trigger. Kelly's injury doesn't help, but best not to rush back an iffy hamstring. Perhaps the flu in the squad has hurt us more - I've been struggling on with it for a month.

Overlay a 4-0 home defeat and a repeat bollocking and I think we have a better understanding of the problem.

Now I'm not saying the players didn't deserve it in the neck for those two performances. But there are ways and means of delivering the message while keeping the players onside. I suspect LJ has simply undermined them and the confidence has gone.

He's going to have to find a way of building bridges pretty rapidly if I'm right or we won't get the 20 plus points we need to stay up, let alone challenge for promotion.

But we are only a point outside the top six. If we can fix this then goal difference doesn't matter. Johnson really will have to find something deep from within now. After all, many Latics fans will never have seen us lose by that many.

We can criticise his efforts to improve the team. But Daniel Johnson is a better footballer than Carl Winchester. Paddy Kenny is a better shot-stopper than Rachubka. For me, both changes made sense. But Winchester carries the ball forwards better than any other player at the club. And Rachubka was a big part of organising our failing defence last season. So perhaps I was wrong in being pleased with these changes.

For what it's worth, I think LJ will turn it round. But if he dishes out nothing more than another slating of the players with a thinly veiled threat to move them on next month then he won't succeed.

And we don't always kick on in January.

Big rallying cry needed now gaffer. I'll be there on Boxing Day. It's your job to lift a set of players who are rock bottom.

Surely all the players can't think that LJ wants to move them on? To a man they've been dreadful for the last two games. If they've all got the hump after a bit of public criticism, they all need to develop a thicker skin. I think something else has gone on.

We can forget about the play-offs, but I think LJ will turn it around for a mid-table finish, but it might take some tinkering in January.

... After Doncaster. Which was added to with a message of "we wanted to bring in more players but can't now" which could also be interpreted by the team as "he doesn't think we're good enough".

I can't believe Paul Murray leaving was the trigger. Kelly's injury doesn't help, but best not to rush back an iffy hamstring. Perhaps the flu in the squad has hurt us more - I've been struggling on with it for a month.

Overlay a 4-0 home defeat and a repeat bollocking and I think we have a better understanding of the problem.

Now I'm not saying the players didn't deserve it in the neck for those two performances. But there are ways and means of delivering the message while keeping the players onside. I suspect LJ has simply undermined them and the confidence has gone.

He's going to have to find a way of building bridges pretty rapidly if I'm right or we won't get the 20 plus points we need to stay up, let alone challenge for promotion.

But we are only a point outside the top six. If we can fix this then goal difference doesn't matter. Johnson really will have to find something deep from within now. After all, many Latics fans will never have seen us lose by that many.

We can criticise his efforts to improve the team. But Daniel Johnson is a better footballer than Carl Winchester. Paddy Kenny is a better shot-stopper than Rachubka. For me, both changes made sense. But Winchester carries the ball forwards better than any other player at the club. And Rachubka was a big part of organising our failing defence last season. So perhaps I was wrong in being pleased with these changes.

For what it's worth, I think LJ will turn it round. But if he dishes out nothing more than another slating of the players with a thinly veiled threat to move them on next month then he won't succeed.

And we don't always kick on in January.

Big rallying cry needed now gaffer. I'll be there on Boxing Day. It's your job to lift a set of players who are rock bottom.

Crewe are the rock bottom team in the league O4U, but who will show more confidence on the day?

Surely all the players can't think that LJ wants to move them on? To a man they've been dreadful for the last two games. If they've all got the hump after a bit of public criticism, they all need to develop a thicker skin. I think something else has gone on.

We can forget about the play-offs, but I think LJ will turn it around for a mid-table finish, but it might take some tinkering in January.

No, not the dreaded 'tinkering' word.

Crewe are the rock bottom team in the league O4U, but who will show more confidence on the day?

If you played the game tomorrow Crewe would win it.

It's a week for motivation.

While I agree that they should have thicker skins, these are League One footballers at the lower end a the pay range for that breed. Part of management is about lifting people when they're down. He's not done it this month.

It could be something completely different. It could be a culmination of other stuff. But I reckon he has, temporarily, reinforced a negative image onto the players and they've reproduced that.

Edited by opinions4u

Could it be something to do with Dean Holden coming in?. We have been shocking ever since his arrival.

I said last week why does the club need 3 first team coaches, no wonder the players are confused.

Edited by BP1960

No.

It's quite clearly since the Bristol defeat. We've not recovered from losing the unbeaten run.

Yes, we battered Dale away but that's an exception. 3000 away fans in a local 'derby', just like our form around the Liverpool win.

It stemmed from Bristol, followed by Crawley, followed by Orient. We've not been the same since. That was the trigger.

We were ok at sheff u.

We were, but maybe the fact Sheffield haven't won a home league game in 5 puts it into perspective.

Barring the extenuating circumstances of Dale away we've been bang average, and more recently diabolical, since Bristol away and the loss of the unbeaten record.

I blame the fans, they have brought so many bugs and viruses into the ground its affected all the players.

The only way to stop this is for all fans to be quarantined in their own homes and matches played behind closed doors until

the team beats someone 7-0.

Edited by BP1960

If LJ comments, post Doncaster,are actually the reason for the loss of confidence in the players, then really; someone needs to switch the light off on the way out, because we're done!

I mean, that wasn't a real bollocking was it? It was hardly a Red Nose-esq Hairdrier rant.

He was upset at a poor performance, which dumped us out of a Cup competition in which i'm sure had been targeted to reach the 3rd round minimum in. He called it as most of us saw it to be fair.

If toys have been thrown over that; then - well, my word. The players we have this season aren't what i thought they were in that case.

If they think that was a bollocking, a real bollocking, then they should come to my work and do a weeks work; then see about what a real bollocking feels like. Heck, anyone one of our places of work for that matter.....because LJ post Doncaster comments were not a real bollocking.

That's why i can't believe for one moment that it's that reason alone that is responsible for for the change in attititude across the side.

Something else has had to have gone on, training ground or dressing room wise, it can't be only some mild negativity post-match from their manager. Can it?

If LJ comments, post Doncaster,are actually the reason for the loss of confidence in the players, then really; someone needs to switch the light off on the way out, because we're done!

I mean, that wasn't a real bollocking was it? It was hardly a Red Nose-esq Hairdrier rant.

He was upset at a poor performance, which dumped us out of a Cup competition in which i'm sure had been targeted to reach the 3rd round minimum in. He called it as most of us saw it to be fair.

If toys have been thrown over that; then - well, my word. The players we have this season aren't what i thought they were in that case.

If they think that was a bollocking, a real bollocking, then they should come to my work and do a weeks work; then see about what a real bollocking feels like. Heck, anyone one of our places of work for that matter.....because LJ post Doncaster comments were not a real bollocking.

/quote]

I don't know this, but its a possibilty..

He was calmer in the press and really ripped into them in the dressing room? The players have took exception to it?

That's why i can't believe for one moment that it's that reason alone that is responsible for for the change in attititude across the side.

Something else has had to have gone on, training ground or dressing room wise, it can't be only some mild negativity post-match from their manager. Can it?

This.

If this IS the reason, then the lot of them can just :censored: right off, get a real job and see long they last seeing their arses at the first bollocking from their team leader.

I really hope it isn't the case.....

Changing a winning side by bringing in another goalkeeper has totally unsettled what was a fairly solid defence. It wasn't needed and wasn't necessary. Bad, bad move. LJ should give himself a bollocking.

Totally agree.

Its not that Kenny has been specifically at fault for the recent capitulations, but it has unsettled a solid defensive unit.

It also can create a culture of 'whose next' out the door? If the manager is prepared to axe Rachubka despite solid form, who else is vulnerable?

They are professional - and should simply deal with it, but human nature isn't that straightforward. The issue now is the damage is done whether he changes back or not. The 'in it together' mentality disappeared when Rachubka got the chop!!