Striker a priority

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a hunch, seems well out of the frame at Blackburn, can't see another Championship team being in for him and he's just the type of 'morale boost' signing that Corney seems to find the money for every now and then.

And somebody on here posted that he was seen at BP pre-season ...

A couple of times when he's come on this season Morgan-Smith has been close to scoring from crosses in the 6 yard box.

I do wonder if he deserves a go up front, it looked like he played there yesterday.

I said he wasn't good enough last week to lead our line but he put in a decent shift yesterday. If he's the man who can get into the goalscoring positions that Ibehre doesn't have the instinct for it doesn't matter his ability, our midfielders will put them where they're simple to put away.

He may be a useful stopgap between now and bringing in another striker in January. May bag himself a few in the time being.

A couple of times when he's come on this season Morgan-Smith has been close to scoring from crosses in the 6 yard box.

I do wonder if he deserves a go up front, it looked like he played there yesterday.

63 goals in 200 appearances, not bad for someone who played a fair bit of that time on the wing.

I actually think morgan-smith could be useful. Could easily do what jabo does for me....

I like jabo, he generally does provide a half decent hold up job but then he doesn't get in the box after laying off. I'm 50/50 with letting him go back in all honesty.

Polean...i think he needs a run before i can judge but not seen anything yet to say he's worth what we paid. Can't do any worse if we stick forte back on the left and him up top. Might see more from jones back in the middle.

Dayton can go for me. Glimpses of real quality but not enough glimpses. Too soft and not enough effort.

Tidser on his way. Said in another post he SHOULD have come in for the Yeovil game to keep our shape but instead was told he'd be gone. In that case, why play him yesterday?

Mellor...i do think there is a quality player there and someone somewhere will polish a rough diamond providing he has the desire to succeed. Don't think now that this will be us as too much time has passed. Best for him and us to see him walk through the exit door.

Winchester has to have a run in the middle or we may as well let him go..

A wholesale clear out will do more harm than good.

We'll see a couple go anyway for one reason or another.

Adding one or two better players to the majority of the side that got us (and still, just about, have us) in this decent position is the most likely way we'll get back on track....

You have to find them, that's what's scouts do, plenty out there in non league if given a chance, always has been and always will be. I might even put my old hat on an look for one. For example no club has given Reeves of Altrincham a chance..I bet any money he would have scored against Crewe today. Why sign a striker from Bolton who never makes the bench?.. that's plain ridiculous.

Do you seriously expect LJ to ring you and ask for your advice on players and tactics? Anyone can spend all day playing football manager, reading newspapers or twitter follow a player.

Pretty sure he has his own targets lined up.

Do you seriously expect LJ to ring you and ask for your advice on players and tactics? Anyone can spend all day playing football manager, reading newspapers or twitter follow a player.

Pretty sure he has his own targets lined up.

You may, perhaps, be underestimating the background of the poster you are replying to.

You may, perhaps, be underestimating the background of the poster you are replying to.

Really maybe BP once did a little scouting sure he aint the first? pretty sure he wont be the only person in there time who has come across or seen someone who may have little potential? Lets not forget the same BP who months back had a pop at LJ for not taking a Lancs cup senior game serious enough or had ago at him only last week for havin to many coaches?

Pretty sure myself BP is proberly annoyed because LJ is a younger manager wanting to bring fresh newer younger ideas into the football rather than sticking to this is well it worked for Royle.

If BP information and contacts where as big as he says pretty sure the club would of snapped his services up.

Still can't believe ebanks-Blake hasn't got a deal, would be fantastic for us, even Blackpool haven't been in for him and they have been desperate

He's trained with more clubs than most players have in a career.

Either his wage expectations are a tad high or he's not the player he should be.

Really maybe BP once did a little scouting sure he aint the first? pretty sure he wont be the only person in there time who has come across or seen someone who may have little potential? Lets not forget the same BP who months back had a pop at LJ for not taking a Lancs cup senior game serious enough or had ago at him only last week for havin to many coaches?

Pretty sure myself BP is proberly annoyed because LJ is a younger manager wanting to bring fresh newer younger ideas into the football rather than sticking to this is well it worked for Royle.

If BP information and contacts where as big as he says pretty sure the club would of snapped his services up.

For your information I'm now 70yo, retired from the scouting game and have few contacts left.

However, I do attend the occasional non league match and have been in contact with the Latics about a couple of players I thought had potential. The club did offer me a job, but due to my age and health I had to decline the offer.

One signed for Sunderland, but may be coming back here on loan, and the other is being closely watched at the moment.

As for the Lancashire Senior Cup it was a chance to play some reserves who had been sitting on the bench, instead the manager played some youths who IMO were not ready for such a match against physically stronger senior players, I think the kids confidence would have been badly dented as a result.

I am not against fresh ideas, but have always maintained it's a simple game which doesn't need over complications.

Players soon forget instructions in the heat of a match, here is a true story.

I informed one well known manager to instruct his defenders 'under no circumstances allow the opposing centre forward to turn on to his left foot on the edge of the penalty area and take a snapshot at goal'.

In the first minute of the game the centre forward turned on the edge of the box on his left foot and scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

I turned to the manager after the match and said "didn't you tell them what I said".

He replied "Not only did I tell them I pinned a massive poster on the dressing room wall with your words".

You can't win them all, and it's all about opinions are a couple of my favourite sayings.

Edited by BP1960

Not even read a single post in this thread but Im assuming that the basis is, we dont score goals, dont have a poacher etc. We do have 13 goal Jonathan Forte, who seems to be hitting a blip. Probably due to being dragged off instead of Jabo "1 goal" Ibehre. He's cack. Send him back to Col Us bench.

Not even read a single post in this thread but Im assuming that the basis is, we dont score goals, dont have a poacher etc. We do have 13 goal Jonathan Forte, who seems to be hitting a blip. Probably due to being dragged off instead of Jabo "1 goal" Ibehre. He's cack. Send him back to Col Us bench.

Forte is not a goal poacher, best on the wing using his pace and supporting the strikers.

Totally agree about Forte. Will only ever be effective running into space from the left wing behind the full back and sneaking goals. Pace is his attribute - close mark him and you'll snuff him out.

Just read bits of this thread and I cannot believe people seriously talking about be glad to see Chris Taylor back here. Cannot agree at all. He had a good spell for us (when we failed to cash in) and after that was pretty average. How does Chris Taylor improve us please? Answers on the back of a postage stamp.

Now - Chris Porter - yes for sure - exactly what we need. Although when he came on as a sub for Sheff U in a night match last season (and scored I think), the crowd gave him a real hard time singing "One greedy bar steward" at the top of their voices. May well have put him off us for good. IF he did come back, PLEASE stay off his back for a while and give him chance to adjust - because he WILL score goals for us - unlike the so-called strikers we currently possess.

Totally agree about Forte. Will only ever be effective running into space from the left wing behind the full back and sneaking goals. Pace is his attribute - close mark him and you'll snuff him out.

Just read bits of this thread and I cannot believe people seriously talking about be glad to see Chris Taylor back here. Cannot agree at all. He had a good spell for us (when we failed to cash in) and after that was pretty average. How does Chris Taylor improve us please? Answers on the back of a postage stamp.

Now - Chris Porter - yes for sure - exactly what we need. Although when he came on as a sub for Sheff U in a night match last season (and scored I think), the crowd gave him a real hard time singing "One greedy bar steward" at the top of their voices. May well have put him off us for good. IF he did come back, PLEASE stay off his back for a while and give him chance to adjust - because he WILL score goals for us - unlike the so-called strikers we currently possess.

You don't think he would be a better bet than Philliskirk? Bizarre.

Definitely not! All about opinions football. When he went, I said he'd never do anything after Latics - and he certainly won't do anything for us now - lightweight and too easily bullied - always was but his pace got him away from people for a while.

Lightweight? You are thinking of the wrong player.

Did well enough at Millwall to get the Blackburn move presumably.

Yeah - he did so well at Millwall - they didn't renew his contract.

Went on a free to Blackburn and was last spotted in a Lancashire Senior Cup tie or something like that. Hardly set Blackburn alight in almost 2 years now - v rarely gets in the team.

Had a great spell with us - should have cashed in when people were talking silly money for him - we didn't - and would be no use back here IMO - too lightweight - always was.

Went on a free to Blackburn and was last spotted in a Lancashire Senior Cup tie or something like that. Hardly set Blackburn alight in almost 2 years now - v rarely gets in the team.

Had a great spell with us - should have cashed in when people were talking silly money for him - we didn't - and would be no use back here IMO - too lightweight - always was.

Ok. :whoosh::huh:

I know plenty of Millwall fans and to a man they wanted him to stay. I think he just said he didn;t want to renew as he wanted to head back north so there was no point in a contract being offered.