Daniel Johnson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have more midfielders than we have positions in midfield. That means you either play a formation with more midfielders in it or you play your midfielders 'out' of position.

We also need a striker with striker's instinct. Someone who is willing to stand up there all game and get in positions on the shoulder of the last defender. I've no doubt Philliskirk has the football brain to play those positions, it's whether he can overcome the temptation to come deep to collect the ball every attack, and also the pace. He'll run his socks off to lead the line, that's for sure.

We need a system that allows us to play Winchester, Johnson, Forte and Philliskirk together. Him up front would allow us to do that in a 4-5-1, with Jones and Tidser/Dieng behind and then the regular back 4. It can't be any worse than us with Ibehre in these last few matches.

Edited by NewBlue

Chubs

Wilson

Elokobi

Wilson

Mills

Dieng

Tidser

Forte

Jones

Johnson

Philiskirk

Johnson just off philly. Lets be hard to beat.

Was that the lineup at Dale?

Makes sense, although I really want Winchester in there, so I'd probably play him instead of Dieng and have Jones alongside Tidser.

Dont think elokobi started and kelly played. But I'd always play two holding midfielders away from home. Its not negative but allows you more opportunity to have the ball.

Don't let BP1960 see you post that - 2 holding midfielders? He'd have an eppy!!!

FWIW: i'd go similar...

Chubs (until a replacement comes in again)

Kusunga

Elekobi

J Wilson

Mills

Dieng

Jones

Winchester

Johnson

Forte

Philliskirk

Don't let BP1960 see you post that - 2 holding midfielders? He'd have an eppy!!!

Kusunga

Elekobi

J Wilson

Mills

Dieng

Jones

Winchester

Johnson

Forte

Philliskirk

Don't mind away from home Sly.

Kusunga

Elekobi

J Wilson

Mills

Dieng

Jones

Winchester

Johnson

Forte

Philliskirk

We've got a really good set of players.

This bad run really shouldn't have happened,

One idea could be to go back to the 4-1-4-1 that worked well at the end of last season.

It gives us a bit of solidity, with someone mopping in front of the back four too.

Also you can be a solid 4-1-4-1 off the ball, but very quickly be a 4-3-3 on it.

You could have.. Danny P up top, but I'd be tempted to try Winchester behind Danny P, Johnson, Jones and Forte, with Jabo up front - or a bit riskier with Poleon or Morgan-Smith up top.

Danny P has played on the right before, can be trusted to cover, and has scored a few from there too - Shrewsbury away, Swindon at home and the pen and Johnson's goal at Dale came from him drifting out to the right I think.

You have a lot of flexibility as Johnson can quickly act as a second striker or a number 10, and Danny P can also cut in from the right to give an option up - forming a 4-1-3-2.

Hopefully a few bodies in the middle would give Winchester, arguably our best passer of a ball forward to feet and into space, time to start moves and carry the ball forward.

Johnson may have question marks on his work-rate, which is why I wouldn't have him on the right, but he has technique and can receive a pass and link up pay.

However, if the other team drop deep, Another more aggressive option is to have Danny P in Johnson's role in the middle (a bit like Rooney at ManUre), ditch the player in front of the back four (Wilson can still bring the ball out and pick a pass?) and move Winchester onto the right, and then have two of Jabo, Poleon or Morgan-Smith up top. Perhaps this would be an alternative for home games...

Philliskirk might run around a little bit. But he doesn't actiallu get stuck in. He's the weak link in the team at the minute in my opinion. Loses the ball too much, Not the best passer and slows us down, he's weak and doesn't score or assist many.

People will disagree cos of who he is and who his dad is etc.

If it's a choice... Johnson wins hands down, 100%

I'd play

Rachubka

Wilson

Wilson

Dieng (elokobi will probably play)

Mills

Winchester

Jones

Tidser (Kelly if fit)

Forte

Johnson

Ibehre

Edit: I do think philliskirk is more effective away from home!

Edited by oldhamoafc

Philliskirk might run around a little bit. But he doesn't actiallu get stuck in. He's the weak link in the team at the minute in my opinion. Loses the ball too much, Not the best passer and slows us down, he's weak and doesn't score or assist many.

I'd play

Rachubka

Wilson

Wilson

Mills

Winchester

Jones

Tidser (Kelly if fit)

Forte

Johnson

Ibehre

You do have a point about Philliskirk losing possession, its something I'm sure opponents have picked up on, and at times as a result the defence has been left totally exposed, he really needs to be stronger on the ball, his work rate though cannot be criticised.

I'd play

Rachubka

Wilson

Wilson

Mills

Winchester

Jones

Tidser (Kelly if fit)

Forte

Johnson

Ibehre

I'm calling it. Bull:censored:.

There. Called it.

Bull:censored:.

Personally, I would like to accommodate both players. Johnson oozes class at this level. So comfortable on the ball and rare, nowadays, to see players able to 'shimmy' past opponents (like Gascoigne used to do) - love him and quite able to forgive his lack of defensive qualities simply because he's the type of quality worth paying to see. I also appreciate Danny - a real grafter and a very intelligent player. I still do not think we have found the best way to utilise him though - I think he's got at least a dozen goals a season in him at this level - once LJ figures out how to play him properly - he'll be a very valuable asset.

I'd like to think we'd progressed from loving players just because they run around a lot but have little talent like Warne.

Philly is a good player for us, one of the best we can hope for on a permanent contract, but he's not as good as Johnson and they play similar roles.

I wonder what Johnson would be like playing up top. That way he wouldn't have to worry about defence.

Exactly - creative spark yet we play him too deep.

3 points from Play Off position, game in hand .... season reset starting next game. Time to wheel & deal to freshen up the front line

I wonder if this is ever tried in practice..you never know Johnson might be effective as a second striker, could Kusunga do a job at centre forward, could Mills do a Done and convert to a goal scoring striker, could Winchester become an effective holding midfielder?..I guess we will never know. It was a good job big Joe thought of trying Ian Marshall as a centre forward or history might have told a different story.

Edited by BP1960

I wonder if this is ever tried in practice..you never know Johnson might be effective as a second striker, could Kusunga do a job at centre forward, could Mills do a Done and convert to a goal scoring striker, could Winchester become an effective holding midfielder?..I guess we will never know. It was a good job big Joe thought of trying Ian Marshall as a centre forward or history might have told a different story.

From what i remember, Joe thought Marshy was a centreback all day long. It was Marshy who kept pestering him about being a centreforward. Effective though he was, I remember agreeing with Joe at the time. Marshy was good up front, but i thought he was a fantastic centreback. Still, Marshy insisted he wanted to play up front, and there is no doubt he did a good job for us and Ipswich.

Marshall had been splitting his playing time between centre forward & centre half whilst he was at Everton, before he joined us. The better, modern players should be equally adept in a number of roles although the typical response to any player moving around in a formation on here would include something about pegs and holes.

If Aston Villa want Daniel to play he either has to stay here or go to Chesterfield (two club rule). I would prefer him to stay but that does give us selection problems as I don't think Daniel and Forte can play in the same team against strong opposition. Forte has done an exceptional job but can't be allowed to tackle back in case he gets injured. I haven't seen Daniel add much to our defending. With both we are a man down defending.

My only criticism of Philli is his lack of goals but he should still, after Kelly, be the second name on the team sheet.