Daniel Johnson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, Johnson and Philiskirk in the same team made us too narrow. We were much better shape-wise with Winchester on one wing and able to tuck inside and Forte playing ostensibly on the left but pushing on.

In other news though - Adam Rooney's 20th goal of the season so far was a 25 yard screamer... Maybe that's the guy we need back!

Edited by De_La_Vega

The interesting thing with Daniel Johnson is that despite his obvious talent and ability, two equally talented young managers have found him difficult to accomodate within their good but not exceptional sides.

I think the points about Kelly's absence causing the dip in form, and the shape of the side being affected with both him and DP in the team are opposed but equally valid.

What is for sure though is that the Preston move is huge for him. Mellis is a very talented footballer who has dropped in stature to the point that we can take him on loan very quickly.

I am not sure that DJ can afford a slow start at Deepdale and he needs to reflect on what in his game can improve. My perception of us with him in the team was that the pace of possession slowed and that we lost the speed of transition and penetration of for instance the Bradford performance. I don't think that was just on him - but he was part of the team in those performances.

Maybe with Kelly in behind him to free him from defensive responsibilities and loading him with the ball he could have thrived, but who knows?

I hope he does well and becomes the player he is capable of becoming as he comes across well. However I am not so sure he will until he becomes less of a luxury and starts to dictate the shape of the game at this level rather than fluttering within it.....Just hopefully not this season!!

The interesting thing with Daniel Johnson is that despite his obvious talent and ability, two equally talented young managers have found him difficult to accomodate within their good but not exceptional sides.

DJ has the best assists record in the division, it is no coincidence that Doyle's goals dried up once he left Chessy. I attribute our poor form to the absence of Liam Kelly more than anything. In my opinion it was a choice between DJ or DP rather than them both playing, DJ wins that every time for me...

Fair points Ryan - but not every team has a Liam Kelly to mop up, and not every team has a system that allows an essentially free role for a player.

He needs to develop a structure to his play to fit in with the shape of a side as both Paul Cook and LJ have ultimately dropped him despite the goals and assists you rightly mention.

Will be interesting to see what Grayson does with him and how he fits him into his side as he has always demanded a shape and discipline in his teams.

So you can play for more than two teams in a season or does the transfer make a difference?

A transfer is completely different. Preston could not have taken him on loan as he had been loaned out to 2 others already this season!

We could have bought him but we have no money so all comparisons with Philly are irrelevant!

Edited by ChaddySmoker