Feb'15 - Fans, Question, Suggestions, Support

Dear all

The Trust are hoping to hold a fans Q&A session sometime in February 2015.

Please use this thread for any questions, suggestions and offers of support you may have so we can log them and look into them for you. Especially if you are unable to attend the event, once the date has been confirmed.

Thanks

Underdog

Edited by underdog

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supporters direct was discussed last night. It was stated the rigid constitutional format they use would not suit our trust and the way we would like to move forward. I will certainly mention it at the fans's meeting though to get you a full explination

I'm not sure I understand this. Why are we different?

I'm not too bothered about Supporters Direct membership / affiliation. Whatever happens, the Trust needs a proper democratic structure that gives both stability and a mandate and changeability.

Roughly, I suggest the following democratic structure.

1. Chair: elected directly by members, once every four years. No more than two terms.

2. Board: elected directly by members every four years. Elected board members to be limited by number. In the first instance, elections to be held coterminously with elections for the Chair, and again two years later.

3. Deputy Chair: directly elected by the board, including the Chair. The Deputy Chair takes over for the remaining term if the elected Chair dies or quits.

4. Changes to the constitution (individually or as a package) require a majority of two thirds of ALL members.

5. Company structure. All elected Board members and the Chair are directors of the company. A limited number of people can be co-opted, and only by role: communications director, for example, or finance director. These ad hoc roles must be specified in the constitution. All ad hoc Board members to be voted on by the Board. Simple majority veto applies. Ad hoc members have full voting rights.

These are just suggestions. Is there a prize for being the first person to mention Thomas Jefferson on this board?

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

I'm not too bothered about Supporters Direct membership / affiliation. Whatever happens, the Trust needs a proper democratic structure that gives both stability and a mandate and changeability.

One of the main benefits of SD membership is you avoid the need to reinvent the wheel. They've been involved with setting up almost every trust in the country (as well as a few abroad) and have a wealth of experience and insight to bring to the table. Why would you turn that down?

Roughly, I suggest the following democratic structure.

1. Chair: elected directly by members, once every four years. No more than two terms.

2. Board: elected directly by members every four years. Elected board members to be limited by number. In the first instance, elections to be held coterminously with elections for the Chair, and again two years later.

3. Deputy Chair: directly elected by the board, including the Chair. The Deputy Chair takes over for the remaining term if the elected Chair dies or quits.

4. Changes to the constitution (individually or as a package) require a majority of two thirds of ALL members.

5. Company structure. All elected Board members and the Chair are directors of the company. A limited number of people can be co-opted, and only by role: communications director, for example, or finance director. These ad hoc roles must be specified in the constitution. All ad hoc Board members to be voted on by the Board. Simple majority veto applies. Ad hoc members have full voting rights.

These are just suggestions. Is there a prize for being the first person to mention Thomas Jefferson on this board?

The above seem sensible to me save for point 4, which may prove an insurmountable obstacle even for non-contentious changes if all ST holders are to automatically be members of the Trust.

One of the main benefits of SD membership is you avoid the need to reinvent the wheel. They've been involved with setting up almost every trust in the country (as well as a few abroad) and have a wealth of experience and insight to bring to the table. Why would you turn that down?

I wouldn't. I'm just saying I'm not fussed if SD won't have anything to do with the Trust, which I think they might not. (I'm not sure whether it's possible to be regulated by the Financial Services Authority successor bodies if they've already kicked your company (or one of its predecessors) out. If the FCA won't regulate the trust, we can't be part of SD. Didn't I gather somewhere that the FSA had wound up the original Trustco? If it's possible, I'm all for the SD. I just don't think it is.

The above seem sensible to me save for point 4, which may prove an insurmountable obstacle even for non-contentious changes if all ST holders are to automatically be members of the Trust.

I'm not saying all rules, positions or decisions. I'm saying the constitutional structure can't be changed without a vote. I was only kidding about the two thirds bit anyway. It was my Thomas Jefferson joke.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Can we please understand what the current make up of the Board is and/or will be going forward following the resignations?

Would also like to find out when the next meet the manager is going to be arranged........I'm sure it would give LJ a lift!

If you can give me enough notice I would like to attend the meeting......I'm not a ST holder but attend regularly and would like to join on the evening.

I would also like to understand what positions are currently vacant within the trust and to know what those positions entail so I can make an informed decision as to whether I can commit to help going forward.....its some thing I would like to do and I have been involved in numerous committees in the past.

Where is he stood? Goal line? Six-yard box? Edge of the penalty area? Half-way line?

Wherever he feels like, anyone could lob a field mouse over a crossbar from the penalty spot, he can stand wherever he feels he has the best chance of getting the beast of his choice over the bar.

I wouldn't. I'm just saying I'm not fussed if SD won't have anything to do with the Trust, which I think they might not. (I'm not sure whether it's possible to be regulated by the Financial Services Authority successor bodies if they've already kicked your company (or one of its predecessors) out. If the FCA won't regulate the trust, we can't be part of SD. Didn't I gather somewhere that the FSA had wound up the original Trustco? If it's possible, I'm all for the SD. I just don't think it is.

That's a fair point. I'll ask.

@Chris - they're not just there for trust setup, they're there for ongoing support, expert advice, networking with other trusts, etc, etc. Sounds like someone on the board is very anti-SD. May I ask who?

I actually saw Barry propel a prize longhorn bull over the crossbars on Claytons for a bet. He told the bull to stand on the penalty spot, grabbed its bollocks and walked back towards the halfway line. When he was in the centre circle, the bull's ballsack was creaking with the strain. Barry let's go. The bull's balls fly straight through the Bulls legs and out in front of its face. When they start going over the crossbar, the bull, totally oblivious, takes off after them. Ends up in the executive car park.

1.) How many of the board members were first co-opted on to the board?

2.) How many of them have since been elected on to the board?

3.) For those that have been elected, and for each time, if more than once, how many votes did they obtain?

4.) What is the current membership stats, ie how many people are eligible to vote for the board members?

5.) Was there a "none-of-the-above" or "return to nominations" for any previous elections?

6.) Are there plans to have a "none-of-the-above" or "return to nominations" option for subsequent elections?

7.) Are there plans to allow voting without being present at the AGM?

8.) What is the average age of the board members (I'm not bothered about specific ages), I'd just like an idea of the demographics?

9.) What are the quorate rules for board meetings and AGMs?

10.) How many times have trust board meetings and AGMs taken place without a quorate being present?

11.) What are the plans for the election of the next chair, will that happen first? Or will interested parties be able to be nominated and elected on to the board and then stand for chair?

12.) What are the rules on being present at board meetings and AGMs for board members? Ie can someone be nominated, elected and never turn up again but still retain their membership on the board for their term?

I may think of more questions between now and then, is it OK for me to keep posting them?

1.) How many of the board members were first co-opted on to the board?

2.) How many of them have since been elected on to the board?

3.) For those that have been elected, and for each time, if more than once, how many votes did they obtain?

4.) What is the current membership stats, ie how many people are eligible to vote for the board members?

5.) Was there a "none-of-the-above" or "return to nominations" for any previous elections?

6.) Are there plans to have a "none-of-the-above" or "return to nominations" option for subsequent elections?

7.) Are there plans to allow voting without being present at the AGM?

8.) What is the average age of the board members (I'm not bothered about specific ages), I'd just like an idea of the demographics?

9.) What are the quorate rules for board meetings and AGMs?

10.) How many times have trust board meetings and AGMs taken place without a quorate being present?

11.) What are the plans for the election of the next chair, will that happen first? Or will interested parties be able to be nominated and elected on to the board and then stand for chair?

12.) What are the rules on being present at board meetings and AGMs for board members? Ie can someone be nominated, elected and never turn up again but still retain their membership on the board for their term?

I may think of more questions between now and then, is it OK for me to keep posting them?

Yes, yes, yes....we are in a transitional period and for me, time to start afresh/re-evaluate what has worked, not worked and kick on thanks very much