Montano

I was apoplectic in the dying stages of the first half when, after a Wolves corner was cleared to the edge of our own penalty area, Montano failed to use what was essentially the freedom of Molineux and hit them on the break. He instead opted to slow down, cut back, and lost the ball.

At the time I thought it was symptomatic of the negative way we had set out that evening (none up front, although LJ would have you believe we played three up front), but in hindsight I remain highly suspicious after the nature of the allegations made.

I wonder if the CPS looked at video evidence of his first half antics.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. The article relies solely on the view of Montano's lawyer and, slightly more worryingly, the PFA.

Yep, it's like our visiting friends who had read up on the Evans case.

They are quite entitled to ask the players rep to leave if he doesn't follow procedure (answering questions on his behalf etc). Nothing that happened afterwards (eg Evans) is relevant, it's about the process at that point. And he hasn't done his 2 years unless he tries to squeeze a cocktail and bull discrimination element in.

We sacked him before an investigation though? Which puts us in a world of :censored:.

They statement says they thoroughly investigated the matters they sacked him on. If those were reasonable things like his verdict or anything else he had going on don't matter.

I think the club's decision to sack him was right but it doesn't sound as if it was handled at all properly, based on the Independent article. Refusing to follow procedures, refusing to allow the employee to have his legal representative there and asking his union rep to leave part way through is all very reckless.

You don't HAVE to allow legal representation at a dismissal hearing; only if that dismissal hearing would prevent the person working in the field again, which isn't e case here. As per Kulkarni v Milton Keynes Hospital.

You do have to allow them a representative though, which is usually someone from the employees union.

For the club not to allow Montano his lawyer is a bit stupid. Maybe because Montano had actually hired a lawyer with an employment law background and we were relying on the services of our sponsors, who don't have one. So much for them being top lawyers.

You don't HAVE to allow legal representation at a dismissal hearing; only if that dismissal hearing would prevent the person working in the field again, which isn't e case here. As per Kulkarni v Milton Keynes Hospital.

You do have to allow them a representative though, which is usually someone from the employees union.

For the club not to allow Montano his lawyer is a bit stupid. Maybe because Montano had actually hired a lawyer with an employment law background and we were relying on the services of our sponsors, who don't have one. So much for them being top lawyers.

No, you don't necessarily have to. Employment law is not really my thing but I think I'm right in saying the the employer's not allowing a specific individual attend a disciplinary meeting have to reasonable. Coupling the club's refusal to allow his lawyer to attend with ejecting the PFA rep doesn't sound great though.

But, really, we don't have enough information to judge whether the club have compromised themselves.

Unless Montano commenced a claim in the Employment Tribunal within 3 months of his dismissal it is extremely unlikely he will be able to pursue a claim arising out of his dismissal in the Tribunal for unfair dismissal. The case law is fairly well settled in this area (I am an employment lawyer btw). Therefore arguments about the fairness of the procedure and his right to representation are pretty irrelevant. He can, however, pursue a claim in the County Court for breach of contract. The time limit for such claims is 6 years. This claim would be limited to unpaid wages and the remainder of his contract term.

Unless Montano commenced a claim in the Employment Tribunal within 3 months of his dismissal it is extremely unlikely he will be able to pursue a claim arising out of his dismissal in the Tribunal for unfair dismissal. The case law is fairly well settled in this area (I am an employment lawyer btw). Therefore arguments about the fairness of the procedure and his right to representation are pretty irrelevant. He can, however, pursue a claim in the County Court for breach of contract. The time limit for such claims is 6 years. This claim would be limited to unpaid wages and the remainder of his contract term.

So who died and made you the expert?

Oh sorry. As you were.

Edited by leeslover

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard him on the radio saying he believes Latics have double standards having just tried to sign Ched Evans, that he was only accused and now cleared. Also that he believes on the day Oldham announced the charges against him the club arranged his arrest.

Wait for the next move?

Edited by Lags

How does he have a point.....he was caught on camera trying to get booked which could of resulted in a sending off and ultimately could have effected our result.

I hope he never gets a club in Britain again!

I'd rather have a 'fraudster' even though he's been found not guilty... Than a convicted rapist...

I'd rather have a 'fraudster' even though he's been found not guilty... Than a convicted rapist...

Nicely misrepresented there.

Amongst other things (according to club) Montano has been caught on camera admitting to fraud, in betrayal of the trust given to him by his teammates, the staff and the supporters of the club.

Ched Evans has been questionably found guilty in the opinion of the court of having sex with a woman after she had crossed the "was she too drunk to consent or not" threshold. He has also served time for his alleged crime.

Who would I want at my club? Certainly not Montano.