Striker From Within?

The post about the current available squad that has diverged into a discussion about the "Pinch Me" and Promotion season squads made me think about the need for a striker we currently need.

Whilst our current bunch of fowards could do it, there are risks. Forte (injured and not scored since November); Poleon (not proven); Morgan-Smith (not proven).

Given that Royle looked elsewhere in the squad and managed to turn Marshall into a pretty decent goal machine, and from that squad Warhusrt went on to be a bit of a striker too at Wednesday (? or was it Blackburn?) - who do you think out of our current midfield/defence could have the potential to change positions successfully?

Unfortunatley none of them, they neither have the touch, pace or football brains to adapt to another position never mind be good enough most of the time.

Mills as a winger is maybe the furthest forward any of them could go.

George when 1 down in the last 5 maybe

Marshy and Warhurst where lightning, had a good touch and could adapt their game to match opponents.

Marshall had split his time between playing striker & defender in Everton's youth & reserves before he joined us and Warhurst had already earned a 'utility player' tag as City.

I'd say Dieng because he's young enough to learn & has a decent touch. In reality, I still think there's much more to from AMS though. He put a lot into the game on Saturday & had previously shown signs of wanting to get on the end of crosses.

Whilst our current bunch of fowards could do it, there are risks. Forte (injured and not scored since November); Poleon (not proven); Morgan-Smith (not proven).

Given our ongoing financial state, it could be that Poleon and AMS will be given a run in the team and a chance to show what they can offer. Neither are proven but both (in my opinion) have a lot of potential.

However, we still need a centre forward in the Ibehre mould.

If he is not available, why not try another loan bid for Wilkinson? He is in the matchday squad but mainly on the bench at Bolton.

He looked a class player.

Edited by TheBigDog