Gillingham Away

We should have been home and dry by half time, even after conceding two soft goals.

Second half we overplayed it in the final third.

Their keeper took up a bizarre position when defending corners. We should have exploited that with better delivery.

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their keeper too up a bizarre position when defending corners. We should have exploited that with better delivery.

This is true. I was shouting for Jones to shoot from one in the second half. At least put it behind the keeper and have people piling in to bundle it over.

Very lighfweight players we have this year who all get muscled off the vall Danny P Connor Btown, Dominic Poleon and James Dayton to name a few. How many times this season have we lost the ball due to players being out muscled and they go and score. Happened today right in front of us, Connor Brown should have shieleded better which would have led to a throw in for us however, he gets pushed off the ball and they counter and win a corner

I had the pleasure of attendng what is now yesterday's encounter, which extended my run of witnessing Latics defeats to nine league matches, ten if you include the loss to liverpool in the cup. the combined goal aggregate from these matches now stands at F 5 A 25. it is still quite poor even if you exclude the MK abomination - anyone else notice that yesterday we were two down at a point in the game where we had not even conceded at MK? it had me expecting my worse loss to be extended even further.

still today I did at least see the team score two goals for the first time since the Matt Smith last minute heroics versus everton two years ago. reading the comments above I think the opinion here does seem to be a bit harsh on the team. Imho I thought the only really bad miss was when Jones managed to somehow find the goalkeeper with his shot from the pullback in the first half when it was 2-2. Poleon (?) should probably have done better with a second half header at 2-3 from a right wing cross on which for once he beat the keeper to it.

some further observations: -

1. the two opening Gills' goals both came from giving the ball away but they both also initially stemmed from a thrown-in routine where B. Wilson threw it BACK to J. Wilson in the right back position, putting the latter under considerable pressure. to make it worse they had already done it before the first goal and been lucky to get away with it and repeated the move at least one more time in the second. when will they learn? playing as a full-back in junior school football many years ago I was told that a throw-in must go forward and must go down the line, it was sound advice!

2. a bit unfair to criticise the defending for the Gills' two first half goals once the ball was lost, they were very well taken. somehow I do not think Latics would have been as clinical if gifted a similar position, especially as I thought that Poleon came close to messing up the finish for the equaliser!

3. a clear foul on Brown for the pen but he should also have been booked for the dive that preceded it

4. I like Kelly, my impression is that he had a poor game today by his standards but he still impressed me. I will also give him the benefit of doubt on the pen follow up and say it was clinical rather than lucky that he got it though the 'keeper.

5. shocking pen from Philliskirk BTW. who takes our next one?

6. I'm impressed by LJ, what he is doing at the club and the football the team now plays but two aspects of today's match worry me: -

a ) after the interval the team lost the momentum that they had clearly established towards the end of the first, a common pattern

b ) his subs never seem to make much of an impact. I thought that Dayton played well when he came on but by comparison the Gill #11 really made an impact and I thought had a good shout for a pen off Brown shortly after coming on. does that just reflect a lack of quality in depth in the Latics squad or is LJ not not making the right choices at the right time?

7. for the corner that Gills got the winner from they had won the ball via a clear foul on Brown in front of us visiting fans. other decision, or non-decisions left me thinking the ref had a poor game

8. the team badly needs a left footed player on the left wing, they never went outside the Gill right back when he was there for the taking.

9. when all is said and done the winning goal was cracker and deserved to win the match. my thoughts at the time and having watched it on the FLS highlights was that it was not deflected

10. Big George, what a star even if his a little immobile at times e.g. the first goal

11. the (young) teanage lad getting thrown out was very amusing, he should perhaps have just been given a stern warning and then thrown out if he still failed to calm down but he needs to also learn not to wear jeans that drop below his arse if he wants to look after himself when involved in a fracas

well that is it from me, it is getting late! I should also point out that I did make the effort to be in oldham for the match with the Mighty Dale last Tuesday and hope to attend the match on the next rearranged date. given my impact on the club's results if anyone would like to offer me a financial incentive to stay well away from either this or any other game this season then I am open to offers ;-)

Edited by hollinwood_pass

Having watched the FLS why does Chubs carry on using his opposite hand (right) to shots in his top left corner thats 3 times this season he has let a soft goal in from distance trying to dive to his left and using his right hand, its frustrating because he is close enough to make the save but all that happens is the ball goes through him.

Seen the goals on FLS. 1st goal was mainly Elokobi's fault for poor positioning but there were still a lot of defenders who could've got a block in. 2nd goal was due to James Wilson's awful pass. Good seeing Connor Brown so far forward for the penalty, poor pen by Danny P. Good on Poleon for chasing down the 2nd. I agree that we need to bring in another striker of some sort but Poleon could go either way and should get a run in the side to play into form. 3rd looked very unlucky due to the big deflection.

After a solid and steady 1st 4 months, a disastrous December and a mixed January I'd say mid table is where we deserve to be right now, but the season is still up in the air and both playoffs and relegation are realistic possibilities. So it'll be interesting to see what LJ can do in the transfer market in the next week. His record in transfer windows is mostly good so I'm hopeful.

Think we should look towards next season now and play Dieng week in week out, he is no worse than what we have and has the potential to be very good.

I like Dieng but his time will come, either this season or next. No need to force it now.

Looking towards next season seems strange when we are 3 points off the playoffs and could still get dragged into a relegation battle. Especially as the squad could easily be completely different by next season.

I like Dieng but his time will come, either this season or next. No need to force it now.

Looking towards next season seems strange when we are 3 points off the playoffs and could still get dragged into a relegation battle. Especially as the squad could easily be completely different by next season.

I dont think that we need to be looking for next season, look at this season, get Dieng back in now!

I agree that Chubs had to do better for the third and go with the correct hand

I dont think that we need to be looking for next season, look at this season, get Dieng back in now!

I agree that Chubs had to do better for the third and go with the correct hand

Although listening/reading from afar, I get the impression J Wilson is a good player but is a confidence player, and the defence suffers because of this shaky confidence at times (i.e. conceding 2 goals in the first 15 minutes).

At the end of last year he had Lockwood as a partner, who through his leadership gave J Wilson confidence (?). Resulting in a good defensive record.

Now Lockwood may not be around next season, but for this season what about putting Lockwood back in (when fit).

Like I say this is from afar, but does anyone think a fit Lockwood could be the answer?

Although listening/reading from afar, I get the impression J Wilson is a good player but is a confidence player, and the defence suffers because of this shaky confidence at times (i.e. conceding 2 goals in the first 15 minutes).

At the end of last year he had Lockwood as a partner, who through his leadership gave J Wilson confidence (?). Resulting in a good defensive record.

Now Lockwood may not be around next season, but for this season what about putting Lockwood back in (when fit).

Like I say this is from afar, but does anyone think a fit Lockwood could be the answer?

Lockwood will certainly make us stronger defensively, his vocal leadership is what we miss at times. But there is a certain ammount of fluidity in the way we play from the back with our CB's pulling out wide, not sure Lockwood would fit into this. Having said that I am a fan of his if only for the way he kept us up last season.

Having watched the FLS why does Chubs carry on using his opposite hand (right) to shots in his top left corner thats 3 times this season he has let a soft goal in from distance trying to dive to his left and using his right hand, its frustrating because he is close enough to make the save but all that happens is the ball goes through him.

Yesterday possibly because of the deflection

Keepers are coached to get the "wrong" hand across.

It gives greater reach and covers more of the net (because you have two hands in place).

I still think he should have saved it.

He's also positioned questionably on the first two. But there had been so many poor passes, slips, showing inside, failure to cover errors in front of him that I certainly wouldn't pin either on him.

Link to highlights video:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/45860-201415-video-highlights-brought-to-you-by-playershare/?p=758825

Chubs uses the correct hand for me. He is diving to his left but having to reach up quite high. Therefore the hand he needs to use is the higher one which is his right. If he uses his left hand he has to stretch over his body to get to the ball. The problem was the deflection/funny bounce that means he is reaching for a shot that is sailing over his head as he dives.

Don't believe me try it out for yourself

on Chubs perhaps more worrying for the winner than using the wrong hand is that he appeared to get quite a firm hand to the ball but it still ended up in the net. but still I would say it was a great shot, keepers struggle with well hit first time shots, especially when they are going into the top corner. sometimes you can just applaud what the opposition do.

perhaps adding to the frustration is that he had made an excellent save towards the end of the first half from another lofted long range shot, I think with the "correct" hand that time although it may have been two-handed.

having now seen LJ's response on the Beeb website I would raise a third concern about his approach, he does have a tendency to be too willing to criticise individual players in public. may be fair but is it wise?

Why is this? Seems to have been blamed for a lot of goals lately but...he always applauds the fans and is positive on Twitter?

he just impressed me in the second half:

seemed to be key in stopping their heads from dropping, which I've seen too many times with Latics especially on this current run.

he won the ball back on numerous occasions and tried to play it out effectively.

he also gives Latics a genuine threat from corners, if only the takers could improve their delivery to try and take more advantage of it. I recall in the Crewe match he had just equalised from a corner and the Crewe defence looked completely rattled by his presence ... and we took the next one short!

certainly applauding after the game has no influence me - and I thought the whole team and LJ did that anyway yesterday - and I stay well clear of Twitter.

having now seen LJ's response on the Beeb website I would raise a third concern about his approach, he does have a tendency to be too willing to criticise individual players in public. may be fair but is it wise?

Yeah, he's done this a few times (blamed Wilson, Chubs and bizarrely Dieng for Crawley's goal), not sure if it's really necessary? At least he's honest!