Gillingham Away

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the interest of fairness, how many do you think he has saved us?

Can you name me any match winning saves?

He has cost us goals against Colchester, Swindon, Peterborough, Crawley, Sheffield United, Crewe, Doncaster and Gillingham this season.

Last week was his best game for us, but he's just not a very good keeper.

There is a video on YouTube of his time at Leeds that sums his ability up.

While I have major reservations about Rachubka, edited video highlights is not a very reliable way of assessing a player.

Can you name me any match winning saves?

He has cost us goals against Colchester, Swindon, Peterborough, Crawley, Sheffield United, Crewe, Doncaster and Gillingham this season.

I'm not in the Rabchuka fan club, I think we could do better, but at our level there are worse keepers, we could push the budget and try and sign De Gea as I believe he is on his way in the summer.

I am sure if we go through the videos of matches this season there will be plenty of times he has saved us from conceding, but that is his job so we tend to forget about them.

I'm not in the Rabchuka fan club, I think we could do better, but at our level there are worse keepers, we could push the budget and try and sign De Gea as I believe he is on his way in the summer.

I am sure if we go through the videos of matches this season there will be plenty of times he has saved us from conceding, but that is his job so we tend to forget about them.

Oxley got loads of stick last season but was far more reliable than Rachubka.

Disagree. Oxley made loads of "sexy" camera saves, but Rachubka's command of his box, distribution and general organisation are much better than Oxley's. All likely down to experience, but Rachubka is a much safer set of hands behind the back four than Oxley was.

Not convinced he's totally at fault for the third, deflection makes it a looping effort rather than a driven effort, hard to stop.

Seriously?

i'll pont you to the 10 clean sheets, many saves and general control and calm he instantly brought to the defence last season after Oxley left.

Granted he could have done better possible on a few goals this season, but on the whole he is a solid keeper for our level.

He hasn't made any glaring errors ala Brill and i can't really see the fuss to get him out of the team. All keepers make errors and more often they lead to goals.

Last season i'd rate him at 9/10, this year 7.5/10

Not amazing but by no means a liability - Our numerous poor decision-making errors, hesitancy to shoot when in sight of goal and a lack of a proper finisher are our downfalls this year, not the keeper.

Sort these areas out and Rachubka doesn't even become a discussion.

Edited by shefflatic

They restricted us to one block that held 250 but plenty of us had no seats and many were stood in the aisles, some moved over to the Gillingham block but were told not to show colours or cheer if we scored, was all a bit of a farce really, I complained to the steward near us and he said Gillingham expected 90 of us Id say there was 300-350 there.

There were still some empty seats.

There was, including 1 next to me. But I'd say there were more stood in the aisles and in the next block with the gillingham fans than there was empty seats. I'd say about 300 was closer the mark.

They restricted us to one block that held 250 but plenty of us had no seats and many were stood in the aisles, some moved over to the Gillingham block but were told not to show colours or cheer if we scored, was all a bit of a farce really, I complained to the steward near us and he said Gillingham expected 90 of us Id say there was 300-350 there.

If that's right then WTAF, we took 286 there last season when we were in a worse position at a similar time of year (late November).

Why were they told so little. OASIS plus the ones who go to every game would be more than 90. Nevermind the 150 or so on top who are always likely to go because it's a Saturday. I'd understand saying 90 if it was mid-week but it wasn't.

There is a distinct element of incompetence at our club about this, and it won't be junior people either. Perhaps the new stand has uncovered some accident Indian burial ground, it would be one reason why the level of incompetence at the non-playing side of the club is so bad.

I had the pleasure of attendng what is now yesterday's encounter, which extended my run of witnessing Latics defeats to nine league matches, ten if you include the loss to liverpool in the cup. the combined goal aggregate from these matches now stands at F 5 A 25. it is still quite poor even if you exclude the MK abomination - anyone else notice that yesterday we were two down at a point in the game where we had not even conceded at MK? it had me expecting my worse loss to be extended even further.

still today I did at least see the team score two goals for the first time since the Matt Smith last minute heroics versus everton two years ago. reading the comments above I think the opinion here does seem to be a bit harsh on the team. Imho I thought the only really bad miss was when Jones managed to somehow find the goalkeeper with his shot from the pullback in the first half when it was 2-2. Poleon (?) should probably have done better with a second half header at 2-3 from a right wing cross on which for once he beat the keeper to it.

some further observations: -

1. the two opening Gills' goals both came from giving the ball away but they both also initially stemmed from a thrown-in routine where B. Wilson threw it BACK to J. Wilson in the right back position, putting the latter under considerable pressure. to make it worse they had already done it before the first goal and been lucky to get away with it and repeated the move at least one more time in the second. when will they learn? playing as a full-back in junior school football many years ago I was told that a throw-in must go forward and must go down the line, it was sound advice!

2. a bit unfair to criticise the defending for the Gills' two first half goals once the ball was lost, they were very well taken. somehow I do not think Latics would have been as clinical if gifted a similar position, especially as I thought that Poleon came close to messing up the finish for the equaliser!

3. a clear foul on Brown for the pen but he should also have been booked for the dive that preceded it

4. I like Kelly, my impression is that he had a poor game today by his standards but he still impressed me. I will also give him the benefit of doubt on the pen follow up and say it was clinical rather than lucky that he got it though the 'keeper.

5. shocking pen from Philliskirk BTW. who takes our next one?

6. I'm impressed by LJ, what he is doing at the club and the football the team now plays but two aspects of today's match worry me: -

a ) after the interval the team lost the momentum that they had clearly established towards the end of the first, a common pattern

b ) his subs never seem to make much of an impact. I thought that Dayton played well when he came on but by comparison the Gill #11 really made an impact and I thought had a good shout for a pen off Brown shortly after coming on. does that just reflect a lack of quality in depth in the Latics squad or is LJ not not making the right choices at the right time?

7. for the corner that Gills got the winner from they had won the ball via a clear foul on Brown in front of us visiting fans. other decision, or non-decisions left me thinking the ref had a poor game

8. the team badly needs a left footed player on the left wing, they never went outside the Gill right back when he was there for the taking.

9. when all is said and done the winning goal was cracker and deserved to win the match. my thoughts at the time and having watched it on the FLS highlights was that it was not deflected

10. Big George, what a star even if his a little immobile at times e.g. the first goal

11. the (young) teanage lad getting thrown out was very amusing, he should perhaps have just been given a stern warning and then thrown out if he still failed to calm down but he needs to also learn not to wear jeans that drop below his arse if he wants to look after himself when involved in a fracas

well that is it from me, it is getting late! I should also point out that I did make the effort to be in oldham for the match with the Mighty Dale last Tuesday and hope to attend the match on the next rearranged date. given my impact on the club's results if anyone would like to offer me a financial incentive to stay well away from either this or any other game this season then I am open to offers ;-)

Thank you a very good review of all that occurred.

2. a bit unfair to criticise the defending for the Gills' two first half goals once the ball was lost, they were very well taken. somehow I do not think Latics would have been as clinical if gifted a similar position, especially as I thought that Poleon came close to messing up the finish for the equaliser!

I agree with the above- they moved the ball very quickly whereas i always think we try to be over elaborate and in no time we are facing 7 defenders whereas in both their 1st two goals it was more like 4 v 4.

I was also impressed with Dayton, who looked a lot more composed and determined than previous times i have seen him and also the new boy Jacob made a good impression and think will be a very useful addition.

As has been posted continually we do need a quality front man- Gills won almost every header defensively and Poleon does not even bother to jump. At least Jabo would have given them a lot more to think about. On the other hand I don't know why we are playing more aerail stuff when this clearly not our strength.

Anyway hope we can beat Notts County as we have some tough fixtures coming up but in L1 there do not seem to be any easy fixtures as there is so little between most sides.

Despite the result it was a great day out, my next one i hope will be Orient but 5 fixtures in between so will be interesting to see what has happened by then.

One team... Keep the faith, Come on Oldham etc

There was, including 1 next to me. But I'd say there were more stood in the aisles and in the next block with the gillingham fans than there was empty seats. I'd say about 300 was closer the mark.

Also, the stewards were making no attempt to direct people to the empty seats. They seemed quite happy to stand by and do nothing about the dozens of people stood in their stairwells, which breached all sorts of safety legislation.