Oldham Turned Against Me - Montano (Bbc News Article)

Wonder who this was...?!?

Recalling the morning he became aware of the allegations, Montano said: "The Oldham manager (Lee Johnson) called me. He said: 'Have you seen what I'm seeing?' I said: 'Yes.'

"I was in London and I said I wanted to come back up to Manchester to talk to him. He said he would come to my house in Manchester, I said: 'Ok, that's great.' Then, a few minutes later, a director at Oldham called me, asking where I was.

"I told him I had spoken to the manager and I was going to make my way back to Manchester with my family to see him. He said: 'That's great but where are you?' I told him I was at my uncle's in north London.

"He put the phone down and rang again, asking where I was, my address.

"I said I was in Tottenham. He said: 'But where?' So I told him the address. I also told him I was about to make my way up to Manchester. Then I put the phone down and got in the shower. The minute I got out, the police were at the house."

Montano added: "I was shocked. Oldham were the only ones who had that address because I had given it to them on the phone. All I could think was: 'Why?'"

Edited by oafcmetty

Wonder who this was...?!?

Recalling the morning he became aware of the allegations, Montano said: "The Oldham manager (Lee Johnson) called me. He said: 'Have you seen what I'm seeing?' I said: 'Yes.'

"I was in London and I said I wanted to come back up to Manchester to talk to him. He said he would come to my house in Manchester, I said: 'Ok, that's great.' Then, a few minutes later, a director at Oldham called me, asking where I was.

"I told him I had spoken to the manager and I was going to make my way back to Manchester with my family to see him. He said: 'That's great but where are you?' I told him I was at my uncle's in north London.

"He put the phone down and rang again, asking where I was, my address.

"I said I was in Tottenham. He said: 'But where?' So I told him the address. I also told him I was about to make my way up to Manchester. Then I put the phone down and got in the shower. The minute I got out, the police were at the house."

Montano added: "I was shocked. Oldham were the only ones who had that address because I had given it to them on the phone. All I could think was: 'Why?'"

Pretty easy to work out who.......though don't say it out loud you might get sued!

People tend to give your address out when the cops ask for it so they can arrest you.

Or so I heard.

Like he would of been difficult to find ??? It seems almost unbelievable that we would be even contemplating signing Evans if the board held such a strong view against Montano who at that time had only been accused, its starting to look a little suspect when you hear Montanos view point. Edited by Chaddy_Ender

Like he would of been difficult to find ??? It seems almost unbelievable that we would be even contemplating signing Evans if the board held such a strong view against Montano who at that time had only been accused, its starting to look a little suspect when you hear Montanos view point.

Evans is much better player than Montano. The moral high ground the club took when trying to defend the signing was just a convenient excuse. We wanted Evans because he was a 20+ goalscoring striker going on a free, not to make a social statement in favour of ex-cons.

Like he would of been difficult to find ??? It seems almost unbelievable that we would be even contemplating signing Evans if the board held such a strong view against Montano who at that time had only been accused, its starting to look a little suspect when you hear Montanos view point.

Not really. The argument has nothing to do with the morals surrounding employing criminals convicted or otherwise.

The club knew of Evans' conviction and were going to offer him a job - without going over it all again, the conviction actually has nothing to do with his footballing career. Montano was on video allegedly saying he was acting as a footballer, whilst we were paying him, trying to do something illegal.

The problem we're faced with is whether any of that footage is permissible or if it has been discredited to the extent it can't form any part of our case/argument.

As the evidence collected was from a less than reputable source my guess is that it will be worth sweet fa in a court of law, he was sacked within hours of being arrested so its fair to assume he will be playing on this in any future hearing, what happened to the other wrongly arrested I take it they where hung out to dry by their employer ?

Edited by Chaddy_Ender

As the evidence collected was from a less than reputable source my guess is that it will be worth sweet fa in a court of law, he was sacked within hours of being arrested so its fair to assume he will be playing on this in any future hearing, what happened to the other wrongly arrested I take it they where hung out to dry by their employer ?

None of the other clubs had video evidence of their player boasting about the whole scenario, as far as I'm aware.

It's intetresting that accourding to the article, when asked if he had taken money or attempted to fix a match (or part of a match) he chose to state that he had never accepted any money. There is no reference to him answering the other half of the question.

That's what I thought. It could be a clever answer in that he wasn't offered money as such but possibly the clearing of a debt.

Montano would have to do something spectacular to change my opinion of him due to the video footage, regardless of the case being dropped.

But at the time I trusted that the board had done their due diligence and had thoroughly consulted any legal advice before deciding to sack him so soon. After recent events I trust the club a lot less than at that time.

I don't fully agree with Montano's double standards claim either, but the pursuit of Evans has made it easy for that claim to be levelled at the club. Yet another reason why we shouldn't have tried to sign Evans.

The club gave the police his whereabouts? Good. So they should.

It's a shame he didn't get the opportunity to clear his name in court. As it stands the evidence I've seen makes me think he's a cheating scumbag who wasn't doing his best for the paying supporter.

Sums it all up for me. Just play the video of the Wolverhampton match, no further questions your honour.

Yes lets be careful about what we write because the report says:

"Montano was asked directly if he had ever been involved in fixing or accepted money to fix any part of a football match.

"I never accepted money, I never had any intention to do that, never," he said. "I never in a million years thought about taking money, I have never thought about doing anything like that in football, never."

The report could be wrong just as the video 'evidence' could be wrong. You can't trust what you hear or see these days but you can make up your own mind particularly if you also attended the game in question.

FWIW- the club may have been in breach of Data Protection by revealing where he was. Especially over the phone.

If he wasn't at his address on record and he wasn't at work and as he wasn't likely to commit a crime with a risk of public safety the unnamed Director (although I bet we would all guess the same person) should have advised him to hand himself in when he spoke to him.

That trick of finding out where he was and then telling the police is certainly "Not doing things the right way"

That Director is a #badgrass