Oldham 3 Notts County 0

He was very good at Gillingham last week too.

AMS took his goal nicely too. I've not been impressed with him last two games but he showed real composure.

Aided by abject positioning from Carroll, who had completely lost his head.

Great result, good performance on a tricky pitch. Winchester was fab, the 60 yard drive in the first half was brill.

3rd goal as good a team goal as we've scored.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winchester has moments of sublime skill, he is easily the most gifted footballer at the club, but if he could replicate this over 90 minutes he wouldn't be here. Kelly plays a full 90 minutes doing all the right things. Our third goal was worth the entrance fee alone, great movement down the left, a pinpoint cross at pace and a great cushioned header.

I would play Conor Brown at right back next week when Mills comes back, Brian Wilson had a couple of brainfart moments today I think a spell on the bench might kick him up the arse. 3 points today puts us back in the mix for the play offs but I'm not getting carried away.

Poleon takes one too many touches each time. Gives the keeper a chance to close him down.

4 great chances today. Looked at his best running at the defence - must be the winger in him. Credit to him though, he looked a player with a bit of confidence and he was everywhere.

Edited by NewBlue

On that performance while we will keep hold of him this window I would think we will have to do something pretty special to keep hold of Winchester next season he just glided round what was a difficult pitch as if nothing fazed him.

It also has to be said 3 players who have been on the fringes this season Poleon, Morgan smith, and C Brown all came in and did well. Forte back to his best was another major positive.

Edited by GlossopLatic

It was fantastic how Forte drifted to the back when the cross came in for his headed goal. Great movement that created an easy finish in the end. Think we got a bit lucky as Notts County played very well for large parts of the game. That mad 5 minute spell where we dominated was the difference. Could have easily lost that if we hadn't scored then.

Kean had a fantastic debut. Been a while since I've seen such a commanding performance from our keeper. Rachubka is good but he didn't produce a performance like that at all.

Decent performance. Keep the side as consistent as possible. If AMS is injured being in Forte. IMO philislirk is on the brink of being dropped... Badly out of form and loses the ball constantly. LJ will be itching to start Mellis and if he does it should be for Danny. Was disappointed to see Poleon come off - he was a nuisance and was denied by 2 great saves... Connor brown... Well played lad!!

Anyone else think both wilsons were :censored:e today?

Strange game in many ways. Before the 1st goal i thought we were the slightly better side without ever looking like creating anything clear cut.-

Then a good move see Poleon get a chance something goes on between his and Carroll and surprisingly for a veteran keeper he looses the plot and take full advantage. His positioning for the 1st two goals was awful. Misjudged the cross for the 1st and then gave AMS 90% of the goal to aim for. The timing of the 1st two goals killed off county.

Kean 7 - did well came for everything and punched well. Couple of moments where his communication seemed to let him down will come with time. Great stop at half time

B Wilson 6 - Fairly solid although gave the ball away a lot and is so one paced its unreal

J.Wilson 5 - Head in the clouds today lots of poor headers that went direct to Notts or put us under pressure. Gave the ball away cheaply when he came forward to

Brown 7 - His usual scrappy-do- but- slightly- unconvincing- style of play worked again. Gave the ball away a few times but then produced a great run and cross for the 3rd. I like him even though i think he can be a weak link but he did well at Fleetwood and again today

Big George 7 - Did what was needed in defense and another important goal

Winchester 6 - flashes off what he can do and when he takes people on he walks past people but he isn't consistent and tires quickly

Kelly 7 - Another solid game won most of the midfield battle and used the ball sensibly

Jones 7 - Plenty of effort but didn't see much of him in an effective attacking sense.

Danny P 5 - Almost anonymous until he went as an out and out striker. I'm not sure we should use him as behind the front man play. His work rate means he's an asset defensively but he inst fast enough to join attacks on a regular basis or creative enough. Stick up top with one of AMS or Poleon.

Poleon 6 - Is something starting to click? much better work rate even though he still gives up two easily. Should have buried both chances but at least they he's starting to get on the end of things. For me his touch is still poor and rarely passes but maybe hes turning a corner

AMS -6 honest enough player wins very little in the air but isn't really a target man. Got on the end of the lucky break well and didn't make any mistake with all the goal to aim for, Went off injured?

Forte 8 - tore them a new one when he came on. The overhead would have been a wonder goal if not for the cross bar. Came close with volley as and finished Browns cross well.

Mellis - not match fit but some nice touches, When his fitness improves i wonder if he will get used behind the front men.

All in all a good win. We did OK without ever looking convincing until Fore came on. I didnt think we played all that well today and was wondering if our constant lack of width with the dimond was to be our undoing as we were doing our usual get to the last 3rd then go all the way back to the full backs. We need someone else in up front especially if AMS is out for any length Notts were poor second half the goals killed them and Im amazed Carroll lost the plot like he did.

Good win but there will be stiffer tests to come

Edited by bluehobbit

Strange game in many ways. Before the 1st goal i thought we were the slightly better side without ever looking like creating anything clear cut.-

Then a good move see Poleon get a chance something goes on between his and Carroll and surprisingly for a veteran keeper he looses the plot and take full advantage. His positioning for the 1st two goals was awful. Misjudged the cross for the 1st and then gave AMS 90% of the goal to aim for. The timing of the 1st two goals killed off county.

Kean 7 - did well came for everything and punched well. Couple of moments where his communication seemed to let him down will come with time. Great stop at half time

B Wilson 6 - Fairly solid although gave the ball away a lot and is so one paced its unreal

J.Wilson 5 - Head in the clouds today lots of poor headers that went direct to Notts or put us under pressure. Gave the ball away cheaply when he came forward to

Brown 7 - His usual scrappy-do- but- slightly- unconvincing- style of play worked again. Gave the ball away a few times but then produced a great run and cross for the 3rd. I like him even though i think he can be a weak link but he did well at Fleetwood and again today

Winchester 6 - flashes off what he can do and when he takes people on he walks past people but he isn't consistent and tires quickly

Kelly 7 - Another solid game won most of the midfield battle and used the ball sensibly

Jones 7 - Plenty of effort but didn't see much of him in an effective attacking sense.

Danny P 5 - Almost anonymous until he went as an out and out striker. I'm not sure we should use him as behind the front man play. His work rate means he's an asset defensively but he inst fast enough to join attacks on a regular basis or creative enough. Stick up top with one of AMS or Poleon.

Poleon 6 - Is something starting to click? much better work rate even though he still gives up two easily. Should have buried both chances but at least they he's starting to get on the end of things. For me his touch is still poor and rarely passes but maybe hes turning a corner

AMS -6 honest enough player wins very little in the air but isn't really a target man. Got on the end of the lucky break well and didn't make any mistake with all the goal to aim for, Went off injured?

Forte 8 - tore them a new one when he came on. The overhead would have been a wonder goal if not for the cross bar. Came close with volley as and finished Browns cross well.

Mellis - not match fit but some nice touches, When his fitness improves i wonder if he will get used behind the front men.

All in all a good win. We did OK without ever looking convincing until Fore came on. I didnt think we played all that well today and was wondering if our constant lack of width with the dimond was to be our undoing as we were doing our usual get to the last 3rd then go all the way back to the full backs. We need someone else in up front especially if AMS is out for any length Notts were poor second half the goals killed them and Im amazed Carroll lost the plot like he did.

Jesus, you tight bastard.

I feel as aggrieved as I did with some of the marks on my work appraisal!

Bit harsh on Winchester, I thought he was a class above the rest and Notts were chasing his shadow most of the match.

We grew into this game. You could see the confidence growing once we scored. We threatened to take them apart in the second half. Poleon was one-on-one twice. He also blasted a good chance over in the first half, but at least he's actually starting to have chances. Roy Carroll was a knob, but besides the two saves against Poleon he pulled off good saves from Philly and Winchester. Forte looked sharp and was unlucky to scrape the bar with a deflected overhead kick.

Good performance. They grew in confidence.

A couple of results could see a return to some kind of form, but we all know it can come crashing down very quickly (i'm not jinxing it).

2nd half we were very good, could have scored 3 or 4. The movement/overall player for the 3rd goal was class.

I was going to comment on here I thought J wilson was all over the place, B wilson a bit shaky too.

Connor brown was class, that loan out has done him a world of good.

Midfield played V well, Winchester Jones and Kelly. God I hope we don't lose Kelly any time soon.

Am I the only one who thought Philly looked a million times better upfront than in the number 10 role for the 20 or so minutes he was there? I've been a fan of Philly but lately I've even been saying his starting spot is becoming less cemented. However when he went upfront, thought he looked much better, causing problems, getting stuck in, couple of great passes to Forte on the other side of the pitch and worked Carroll to where if someone was following up they would of had a tap in.

Poleon is now starting to do the graft, he just needs to learn to finish, Or not even that just to calm down when he gets the ball in a goal scoring opportunity. Hopefully that will come. Continue to work and he'll start hitting the back of the net. Though the squared pass from Forte really HAS to be a goal.