Good eh? :grin::lol:

Have we found English football's equivalent of Billy Beane?

Not only are we doing alright on the pitch but he's made us a reported £1.6m in transfer dealings of it.

Imagine making a company that kind of money in any other walk of life, what would his cut be?

The strategy seems to be (to me) as follows....

League One keepers are not worth the money - young loanees from a higher level are as good, if not better, and Premier League and Championship clubs are willing to send them out on long term loans. And there are a lot of them...

Half decent defenders are in plentiful supply and can slot easily into a well drilled, organised defence...

If the young ones show just a few months of form, especially centre half's, they can be sold for reasonable money and quickly and adequately replaced...

Although there is talent out there, League One wingers lack consistency & end product - so don't bother with them.

Central midfielders who can drift/play wide offer far more quality and consistency and keep a side's shape better. And there are more of them. And they're probably cheaper.

Quality, proven, experienced strikers cost way too much for Oldham Athletic so gambles have to be taken here - big, pacy types like Wilkinson & Ibehre will still keep the opposition on the back foot even if they don't score as many as we'd like them to. This makes life easier for the defence and midfield.

And "speed kills" - Forte's goals are a bonus. Even if he hadn't finally discovered his shooting boots after all these years his pace means opposing teams will be foolish to play a high line. This also applies to Poleon & Morgan Smith.

And lastly - quality crocks are cheap and our physio seems to be a miracle worker.

Pretty much every permanent signing barring maybe Lockwood & Brian Wilson can probably be sold on at a profit.

Even Forte, with his knees, was rumoured to have generated interest yesterday.....

I reckon he could even get us a nominal fee for Blatter if he put his mind to it..... :grin:

After all these managers who've largely gone through the motions, & even used our financial situation as an excuse, it's nice to finally have someone who's come in and rolled his sleeves up and gone the extra yard to find and fund signings....

And the first transfer window we've been in with a sniff of success I've no doubt he's been able to use all of this to convince Corney to let him keep players for once....

If he doesn't get us up this season I'm convinced he will next....

Edited by HarryBosch

Good eh? :grin::lol:

Have we found English football's equivalent of Billy Beane?

Not only are we doing alright on the pitch but he's made us a reported £1.6m in transfer dealings of it.

Imagine making a company that kind of money in any other walk of life, what would his cut be?

The strategy seems to be (to me) as follows....

League One keepers are not worth the money - young loanees from a higher level are as good, if not better, and Premier League and Championship clubs are willing to send them out on long term loans. And there are a lot of them...

Half decent defenders are in plentiful supply and can slot easily into a well drilled, organised defence...

If the young ones show just a few months of form, especially centre half's, they can be sold for reasonable money and quickly and adequately replaced...

Although there is talent out there, League One wingers lack consistency & end product - so don't bother with them.

Central midfielders who can drift/play wide offer far more quality and consistency and keep a side's shape better. And there are more of them. And they're probably cheaper.

Quality, proven, experienced strikers cost way too much for Oldham Athletic so gambles have to be taken here - big, pacy types like Wilkinson & Ibehre will still keep the opposition on the back foot even if they don't score as many as we'd like them to. This makes life easier for the defence and midfield.

And "speed kills" - Forte's goals are a bonus. Even if he hadn't finally discovered his shooting boots after all these years his pace means opposing teams will be foolish to play a high line. This also applies to Poleon & Morgan Smith.

And lastly - quality crocks are cheap and our physio seems to be a miracle worker.

Pretty much every permanent signing barring maybe Lockwood & Brian Wilson can probably be sold on at a profit.

Even Forte, with his knees, was rumoured to have generated interest yesterday.....

I reckon he could even get us a nominal fee for Blatter if he put his mind to it..... :grin:

After all these managers who've largely gone through the motions, & even used our financial situation as an excuse, it's nice to finally have someone who's come in and rolled his sleeves up and gone the extra yard to find and fund signings....

And the first transfer window we've been in with a sniff of success I've no doubt he's been able to use all of this to convince Corney to let him keep players for once....

If he doesn't get us up this season I'm convinced he will next....

Johnson is definitely down for a high achiever after this window. I'm not forgetting that he drove the whole Evans fiasco, being careful to distance himself from blame for the subsequent catastrophe.

Still, in football, ruthlessness is a massive positive.

He's only sold what was already here hasn't he? Yet to see if his signings turn a profit.

Doing a good job but he's hardly Joe Royle in terms of transfers yet. In fact he's not even Keith Hill yet.

I think Korey Smith and JCH might kick the shins of your argument.