New Manager thread.

Just wonder if Dowie would disrupt what appears to be a team that likes and works hard for Deano and Lockwood?

In 1 every 2 games?

Seriously I am not sure that a 4-0 defeat at home with only one shot on target and a scrappy 0-1 away result are worthy of judging what the temporary management team has achieved.

We saw similar performances to those two under the previous manager - so could argue they haven't had much of an impact at all.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1 every 2 games?

Seriously I am not sure that a 4-0 defeat at home with only one shot on target and a scrappy 0-1 away result are worthy of judging what the temporary management team has achieved.

We saw similar performances to those two under the previous manager - so could argue they haven't had much of an impact at all.

LWLWLWLWLWLWLW will probably get us in the Play offs in this League this season

LWLWLWLWLWLWLW will probably get us in the Play offs in this League this season

Not sure.

13 games remaining. Being generous and saying we W7 and L6 between now and the end of the season would see us accumulate another 21 points and finish on 67 points. This has never been enough for a team to make the play-offs in the (very long) time we have been in this league.

Think we need a minimum of 25 points, probably 28, to make 6th spot.

Just wonder if Dowie would disrupt what appears to be a team that likes and works hard for Deano and Lockwood?

Disrupt? We got beat 4 nil last Saturday. We have seen plenty of players that like their manager and work hard for them. I'm more interested in winning and not getting smashed off a near rival.

Yeovil in Saturday. Only a win will do no matter who us in charge.

Are you being serious, he will not be a big draw?

I definitely think Taylor is made for us, so if he is appointed, do you think crowds will fade away?

That's not what a big draw means. A big draw means crowds would increase significantly on the basis of his appointment.

I'm definitely on LaticsPete's side here.

The problem with any appointment is that because we will pay so little the new manager will be able to leave when it suits him. Johnson didn't have to ask permission to talk to Barnsley - it was one of the terms of his contract which allowed him to talk to anyone.

We therefore need a new manager that has some link to the club so that he or she will want to stay if other clubs come calling. Alternatively someone capable of taking a longer term view but who does these days.

The problem with any appointment is that because we will pay so little the new manager will be able to leave when it suits him. Johnson didn't have to ask permission to talk to Barnsley - it was one of the terms of his contract which allowed him to talk to anyone.

We therefore need a new manager that has some link to the club so that he or she will want to stay if other clubs come calling. Alternatively someone capable of taking a longer term view but who does these days.

Also, if someone like Dowie came in and was successful, other clubs might think twice about pinching him because of his previous failures.

I think we need to try a different tack with this time round. The last two appointments were untried gambles and were alright, but could have been terrible.

Go with someone with someone who we know can be brilliant this time, I reckon.

(So Dowie, basically...).

Not sure.

13 games remaining. Being generous and saying we W7 and L6 between now and the end of the season would see us accumulate another 21 points and finish on 67 points. This has never been enough for a team to make the play-offs in the (very long) time we have been in this league.

Think we need a minimum of 25 points, probably 28, to make 6th spot.

I was being a little sarcastic but this really is a strange season in League1

Forgive me if I am being a bit naive but I always understood that a contract was a legally binding agreement that works both ways!

I think that recent evidence suggests that we are not savvy enough, especially seeing as though the contract had been extended/ re-negotiated!

That's not what a big draw means. A big draw means crowds would increase significantly on the basis of his appointment.

I'm definitely on LaticsPete's side here.

Whoooooosh.

They were golf puns, weren't they? :grin:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/paul-scholes-oldham-was-the-right-job-at-the-wrong-time-for-me-10089674.html

puts it to bed for definate then.

I know he would be a draw for players at our level to join us because it's Paul Scholes, but i honestly don't think he would cut it. I'm not sure he has the personality to be a manager and the fact he has, albeit one of the most successful, only been at the one club, limits his experiences somewhat.

I also don't believe he is a true Oldham fan, i'm sure he's said somewhere in the past that his dad is the fan and he used to just go along and considers himself man united? Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Would he have the staying power and motivation to work on tight resources and to put the effort in to make it work? Part of me thinks he'd manage three months and then he'd think 'forget this, i'm off', after all he wouldnt need the money/hassle of it all

Maybe i'm being cynical and negative, but that's my take on it anyway

Thoughts?

Edited by shefflatic

I think he is being totally honest , and wants to spend time with his kids before they grow up . And gather the necessary experience in his own time . As he says latics is a seven day a week job , he has nothing to gain by saying he is a latics fan when he isn't . I believe he is and he will manage us one day .

Scholes' attitude is infuriating. He comes across like, "nah, not yet. I want to do it, but I'll call you when it's time for me to be manager."

It didn't read like that to me?

He clearly respects the time he would need to give to the job and admits he can't commit to it yet.

Scholes' attitude is infuriating. He comes across like, "nah, not yet. I want to do it, but I'll call you when it's time for me to be manager."

He's tempted but has a young family. I've got to respect a man for whom spending time with his kids means more. When they're older, and don't need as much of his time, he'll be better placed to take on something as all-consuming as management.

Yes the contract was binding. It bound us to allow Johnson to talk to other clubs and it bound us to let him go if they met the compensation payment. It was an attempt to keep him but he signed it knowing he could up sticks and piss on us, which is what he did, out of order and plain wrong - the first time I have seen him get the PR wrong. In Lee Johnson I trusted - what a pillock I am!

I'm still not getting this feeling that we've been conned in some way. We're better off than we were and, during his time as manager, he instigated changes on the footballing side (on the planning & analysis side) that we can still take advantage of as we move on. I may well join in with the pantomime cat calls next weekend but he had positive influence whilst here and I hope the next manager is able to con us in a similar way.