Corney + New Director on GMR Monday 18:00

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking the other day that LJ reminded me of Carcetti from The Wire.

Now you mention it, and thinking of another character played by the same actor, maybe all Johnson is concerned with is 'The Climb'.

(Heres hoping others get the reference!)

How long until he mentions :censored: attendances as a factor?

I've got the spread at 5-6 minutes.

Well what do you expect -

It is a MAJOR factor incorporated into the FFS.

People on here who slag SC off have no idea about business and even less about running a football club.

It's all about generating income , having bigger budgets which believe it or not allows you to spend more on players wages etc .

We are a struggling league one side with YES - :censored: attendances and if you or anybody else can do better then put your money where your gob is and tell SC to move over , which he will gladly do.

How long until he mentions :censored: attendances as a factor?

I've got the spread at 5-6 minutes.

It would be discerning of Corney to mention it first, before explaining where it went wrong with Johnson. Income is without doubt the root of the problem. Our core support has hardly budged in a season where we have pretty much maintained a reasonable top ten spot. If I was him I would be disillusioned by an improved product and costly income generating ground improvements failing to attract a upturn in home support. Or to put it another way, not being appreciated.

Obviously you can't sell something to someone who is just not interested. The Colchester experiment proved you can't increase revenue by discounting it by 75%. It's soul destroying for the person bank rolling it.

For me there is only one way he can go to increase the fan base - a big or biggish name manager with a history of success who will create a buzz in the town. This should create increased gates leading to an increased playing budget. Of course this will be at Corney's 'expense' and 'risk', not ours. And as I have said before, football is not a perfectly formed product coming off a production line - it is a scarily unreliable product for the investor.

I would guess Corney would be happiest for one of us to come up with the name of a multi millionaire who wants nothing more than to put Oldham Athletic on the map. But we don't and why would anyone want to do that for us?

Edited by mikeroyboy

If he says some of what I have heard over the last week and beyond it will be well worth the listen guys.......I was fortunate to have 20 mins on the phone with SC and let's just say Brighton wasn't the only one!

Wonder how many he actually got an interview for?

Said it before FFP is anything but fair.

Someone on another thread said that fans must have hope, but FFP kills that. Football is no longer a sport; it is a business. We are rapidly coming to the point where there is no point watching unless your club is monied.

All that will be left is the Cups.

Feast refused to sign a new contract, stating in the British national press that he didn't want to become "... another Latics cabbage", ;-)

Why would he not mention the fact that our gates are poor?. Because It is the one major factor in our continuing decline. The fact is that probably 90% of live football watching people who live in the Borough, choose to watch teams other than the town team where they live. I am actually at a loss as to where SC/we go from here, players that were brought in by Johnson are plainly not good enough, and the lack of a reserve team, that could feed us the next group of first team players,is alarming. All this leaves us whith no money, poor players (with a few exeptions) chronic gates, few revenue streams, and frustrated fans all looking for someone to blame. All the while hoping that someone with a few million to spare will come bounding over the horizon to save a great old club, that is down on it's luck, and shunned by most football minded folk of the town where it resides. I actually feel sorry for Simon Corney, and think that without him we could be sunk without trace,and if he did pull the plug, we damn well would be. NOTE this post was in reply to Deyres42 sorry. Edited by 100milesaway

Said it before FFP is anything but fair.

Someone on another thread said that fans must have hope, but FFP kills that. Football is no longer a sport; it is a business. We are rapidly coming to the point where there is no point watching unless your club is monied.

All that will be left is the Cups.

Corney described this season's F.A. Cup exit as "devastating". on the subject of low crowds, he said “I am not complaining about anything or anyone. I just want to educate people who say we should just go out and spend. We do push the boundaries here.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/89320/devastating-says-corney

Why would he not mention the fact that our gates are poor?. Because It is the one major factor in our continuing decline. The fact is that probably 90% of live football watching people who live in the Borough, choose to watch teams other than the town team where they live. I am actually at a loss as to where SC/we go from here, players that were brought in by Johnson are plainly not good enough, and the lack of a reserve team, that could feed us the next group of first team players,is alarming. All this leaves us whith no money, poor players (with a few exeptions) chronic gates, few revenue streams, and frustrated fans all looking for someone to blame. All the while hoping that someone with a few million to spare will come bounding over the horizon to save a great old club, that is down on it's luck, and shunned by most football minded folk of the town where it resides. I actually feel sorry for Simon Corney, and think that without him we could be sunk without trace,and if he did pull the plug, we damn well would be.

At RBS Fred Goodwin was held responsible-it happens all the time in business the CEO is culpable.

SC has no-one else to blame after all his bad decisions, eg knocking down the Ford Stand, preparing for Failsworth, bringing in a few young managers and letting the best one leave on virtually a free transfer, (dont say he couldnt have stopped it, he should have put measures in place), looking to sign a convicted rapist whilst still under licence, even going back to the Sports Park development which failed well before the recession and even recently closing the club shop until the new Sports Direct store is open-when, next season? Not to mention Barry Blatter etc etc

The buck stops with Mr Simon Corney. He and his colleagues have made bad decision after bad decision and will never get back their money

We are as close to the Championship as we were when they came in, its no wonder a lot have given up, probably forever

At RBS Fred Goodwin was held responsible-it happens all the time in business the CEO is culpable.

SC has no-one else to blame after all his bad decisions, eg knocking down the Ford Stand, preparing for Failsworth, bringing in a few young managers and letting the best one leave on virtually a free transfer, (dont say he couldnt have stopped it, he should have put measures in place), looking to sign a convicted rapist whilst still under licence, even going back to the Sports Park development which failed well before the recession and even recently closing the club shop until the new Sports Direct store is open-when, next season? Not to mention Barry Blatter etc etc

The buck stops with Mr Simon Corney. He and his colleagues have made bad decision after bad decision and will never get back their money

We are as close to the Championship as we were when they came in, its no wonder a lot have given up, probably forever

Fred Goodwin was accountable to shareholders - big differance

Corney came here to help himself first and us second. He has done a decent job keeping us in L1 and his mistakes have cost him, not you.

If you think he came here for your or my benefit you are delusional.

Fred Goodwin was accountable to shareholders - big differance

Corney came here to help himself first and us second. He has done a decent job keeping us in L1 and his mistakes have cost him, not you.

If you think he came here for your or my benefit you are delusional.

There really is no difference! We as fans are, in a way, the shareholders, shares paid for in full year after year with our financial contributions to the institution!

Where did I ever say that I expected him to act for my benefit?

He came here confident in his and 2 other's ability to turn us into a profitable enterprise and in that respect he has failed miserably!

Why would he not mention the fact that our gates are poor?. Because It is the one major factor in our continuing decline. The fact is that probably 90% of live football watching people who live in the Borough, choose to watch teams other than the town team where they live. I am actually at a loss as to where SC/we go from here, players that were brought in by Johnson are plainly not good enough, and the lack of a reserve team, that could feed us the next group of first team players,is alarming. All this leaves us whith no money, poor players (with a few exeptions) chronic gates, few revenue streams, and frustrated fans all looking for someone to blame. All the while hoping that someone with a few million to spare will come bounding over the horizon to save a great old club, that is down on it's luck, and shunned by most football minded folk of the town where it resides. I actually feel sorry for Simon Corney, and think that without him we could be sunk without trace,and if he did pull the plug, we damn well would be. NOTE this post was in reply to Deyres42 sorry.

Until we get a decent team capable of putting a winning run together we are not going to increase the fanbase and tempt back any lapsed fans

Apart from one or two unbeaten sequences and a couple of Cup runs we have been garbage for nigh on 20 years. Every time we put a cheap offer on we have been even worse.

This season has been an improvement but we still don't score enough and have won only 11 league games from thirty odd.

SC has kept this club afloat no doubt and No matter what happens in the future we should always be grateful for his contribution.

Can someone tell me....when was the last time we won 4 league games on the bounce?