Squad movements, summer 2015

....I met a Daggers fan t'other week and asked him about Murphy. He raved about him. A decent run of games without injury and he reckons he's a 20 a goal a season man in the lower leagues and could play in the Championship. Apparently very clever movement off the ball and ghosts into space without having out and out pace. Sound like anyone we once knew who scored over 140 goals for us?

Peterborough were lining him up for £250k before he got injured. We've only got him because of that injury. Tommy Wright had been to see him loads and we paid £20k to release him from his contract when it ran out 6 months later. Bet the Judas mo fo's are regretting that now. It would be ridiculous to be passing judgement on him yet.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....I met a Daggers fan t'other week and asked him about Murphy. He raved about him. A decent run of games without injury and he reckons he's a 20 a goal a season man in the lower leagues and could play in the Championship. Apparently very clever movement off the ball and ghosts into space without having out and out pace. Sound like anyone we once knew who scored over 140 goals for us?

Peterborough were lining him up for £250k before he got injured. We've only got him because of that injury. Tommy Wright had been to see him loads and we paid £20k to release him from his contract when it ran out 6 months later. Bet the Judas mo fo's are regretting that now. It would be ridiculous to be passing judgement on him yet.

Don't think we have ever had a play score 140 goals for us. Think our record goal scorer is Palmer wih around 110/111 if I recall, but if its him that you are referring to then I did think that first couple of times I saw Rhys play he did seem to have good off the ball movement and regularly found space.

If we can find him with balls to feet then I think he might live up to the Daggers' lads predictions. Winchester in midfield / Forte out wide are the types of player that could provide a good space finding forward with ammunition.

Was his last goal that beautiful half volley lob past Shilton in the League Cup?

....not sure I recall that one....? I think his last goals came in the 1st division season. He got one in a 3-1 win away at QPR, which my memory seems to recall being an overhead kick?.... this game was also Paul Gerrard's debut I think?.... and another one vs Everton in a 2-2 draw at home... which included a Mike Milligan volley in off the post at the Chaddy End.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Likewise from the Daggers fan who does my drycleaning

Keep rhys turner and get rid of rhys Murphy for me

I have to say we were a little desperate when paying 20k to get Murphy here earlier than next season when he clearly had fitness issues but to write him off after only a couple of starts and a few sub appearances is a little premature.

With a good pre-season behind him and providing we can get him 100% I think we could have ourselves a decent striker.

I would keep both of them and try and get a proper CF that they can both play off.

Yes let us get him RM fit and play a system that works to use his and Turner's talents. I thought he showed good space awareness in that short time on the field at Leyton and he did get the lucky penalty and if we had scored from it the result that day might have been a lot different.

He came through the ranks at Arsenal and would not have got that far if he had nothing to offer.

How can people seriously have a go at Murphy he's only played a handful of games half fit. On his debut he created the goal for Winchester and we have been playing him out wide and not off the striker so he's been feeding off scraps.

Edited by SavageTheBeast

I think its fair to say that Murphy hasn't done a lot to impress anyone yet.

But there are lots of players that started off badly and become good/great players for the club so I think he should be given time - espeically as you can provide a list of reasons for lack of output so far:

Unfit

Joined a team not playing well

Manager that recruited him left

Temporary manager in place

I think it would be better to judge him 10-15 games into next season with a full pre-season behind him.

This is true, I remember David Shaw took a long time to impress fans after joining from Huddersfield, mind you there was a big difference after it was found he needed contact lenses.

....not sure I recall that one....? I think his last goals came in the 1st division season. He got one in a 3-1 win away at QPR, which my memory seems to recall being an overhead kick?.... this game was also Paul Gerrard's debut I think?.... and another one vs Everton in a 2-2 draw at home... which included a Mike Milligan volley in off the post at the Chaddy End.

He bagged at home against Derby in the cup in our first season (after 68 years) back in the top flight. Came off the bench at a throw in I think, long throw over the defenders head, ghosted in behind and volleyed it past Shilton. The chants of "Ooh Rodger Palmer" were pretty deafening.

The goals in a 2-2 with Everton - I recall the ones in the Cup a few seasons before, but cannot remember the league game that season. QPR away - I do recall him scoring there, but thought it was a diving header (though he might have got a brace in that game).

Does Soccerbase go back that far?

He bagged at home against Derby in the cup in our first season (after 68 years) back in the top flight. Came off the bench at a throw in I think, long throw over the defenders head, ghosted in behind and volleyed it past Shilton. The chants of "Ooh Rodger Palmer" were pretty deafening.

The goals in a 2-2 with Everton - I recall the ones in the Cup a few seasons before, but cannot remember the league game that season. QPR away - I do recall him scoring there, but thought it was a diving header (though he might have got a brace in that game).

Does Soccerbase go back that far?

Pretty sure he scored in a home League Cup victory over Swansea in our third and final season as a top-flight club (93/94). We lost the first leg 2-1 but won 2-0 at home to go through. Swansea were in the fourth tier then...how times change.

Release George, Bove, Dayton, Mellor and Morgan Smith, retire Lockwood, keep B Wilson as back-up, get a second keeper and a main striker (Wilkinson) but please please please sign Barton from Coventry and play Philly up front, with hopefully a (:censored: off a shovel) right winger in the squad! Send back all of the loanees.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Bove is 18/19. How you can judge him is beyond me. Same with those who want rid of Murphy after 5 games. Incredible.

AMS can go for me. Certainly didn't terrorise Fleetwood's defence from what I remember. Ran about a lot more like, which has been the case most times I've seen him - lots of industry with not much quality. In the end we scored two screamers...

I'd let go of Dayton (sadly realised he's too injury prone and lightweight, no doubting his ability though) and AMS. Wouldn't be too gutted if Elokobi left, same with Brian Wilson, James Wilson for a decent fee maybe - will depend on what the new manager can get out of him really, he has ability, just not the temperament. Kusunga perhaps - decent player just always injured.

Certainly look to renew Wilko, but can't see that materialising as he'll be sought after.

Obviously huge emphasis goes on keeping the midfield 3 of Kelly, Jones and Winny. Add Mills to that and Forte (if he's looking like he has another year left in him).

Hoping to see Poleon, Dieng, Murphy and Turner assert themselves next season, and Philliskirk to get back to being a decent League 1 player.

Transfer policy has to be about putting together a new defence, as ours has been far too porous. A good goalkeeper and a centre back are number 1 priorities for me. Fancy our young strikers/wingers to come good next year so not as much concern about a goalscorer.

Bove is 18/19. How you can judge him is beyond me. Same with those who want rid of Murphy after 5 games. Incredible.

AMS can go for me. Certainly didn't terrorise Fleetwood's defence from what I remember. Ran about a lot more like, which has been the case most times I've seen him - lots of industry with not much quality. In the end we scored two screamers...

I'd let go of Dayton (sadly realised he's too injury prone and lightweight, no doubting his ability though) and AMS. Wouldn't be too gutted if Elokobi left, same with Brian Wilson, James Wilson for a decent fee maybe - will depend on what the new manager can get out of him really, he has ability, just not the temperament. Kusunga perhaps - decent player just always injured.

Certainly look to renew Wilko, but can't see that materialising as he'll be sought after.

Obviously huge emphasis goes on keeping the midfield 3 of Kelly, Jones and Winny. Add Mills to that and Forte (if he's looking like he has another year left in him).

Hoping to see Poleon, Dieng, Murphy and Turner assert themselves next season, and Philliskirk to get back to being a decent League 1 player.

Transfer policy has to be about putting together a new defence, as ours has been far too porous. A good goalkeeper and a centre back are number 1 priorities for me. Fancy our young strikers/wingers to come good next year so not as much concern about a goalscorer.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'd err on the side of keeping Elokobi though.

The players I'd put in the undisclosed bracket would be Kelly, Jones, Winiesta, Wilson and Mills. Possibly Forte too but only if the team hasn't scouted his fitness record. I reckon we'll take up the option and he'll stay with us for another year.

Out of the five in the undisclosed bracket I think we'll only need to sell one, two at a stretch. It could be decided by who has the most motivation to go. Wilson's 1st year with us would make him a prime candidate to go and he seems like the type would want to use us a stepping stone (based on hearsay I admit) but the last 6 months will have probably lowered his stock. Jones and Mills' motivation seemed to be moving to/staying in the area so I think they'll be with us unless they get an offer they can't refuse. Winiesta is hard to tell, at a guess I reckon he'll want to move if a Championship side is interested but no lower. I think scouts won't question his talent but might have doubts over his physical prowess. Which leaves Kelly. I get the impression that he'd be happy enough here but as LJ clearly values him a lot I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in with a big offer for him which Kelly would find difficult to turn down. He seems the most likely to go IMO.

If 3 or more of those leave then we'll be in trouble, I think we'll cope if we sell 2 and get enough money for the new manager to reinvest.

I think Wilson will be here next season. I thought he'd have been off 6 months ago, but his form's dipped to the point where a.) a team higher up won't want him and b.) if they did, what he's worth isn't worth selling him for.

Kelly has got two years on his contract. Whatever Barnsley bid for him, tell them to put a 0 on the end and we'll think about talking. As for Winiesta, I'm the same - we can demand a decent fee with his contract, but I think Championship clubs would be wary about paying over the odds for him.

The only other worry with Kelly, Wilson and Win is international football. They're all capped, and there's a decent chance their countries wil reach the Euros next summer. If the international bosses suggest that they might be in the squad if they get to another level, they might try and force themselves out.

Edited by josh_latics

• 1 month later...