Rivals  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider are currently Latics' biggest rivals?

• Rochdale
    • Man City
    • Man United
    • Huddersfield
    • Bradford
    • Leeds
    • Blackpool
    • Bury
    • Blackburn
    • Bolton
    • Burnley
    • Tranmere
    • Stockport
    • Wigan
    • Preston
    • Barnsley
    • Don't currently have any rivals
  2. 2. Who do you consider are Latics' biggest historical rivals?

• Rochdale
    • Man City
    • Man United
    • Huddersfield
    • Bradford
    • Leeds
    • Blackpool
    • Bury
    • Blackburn
    • Bolton
    • Burnley
    • Tranmere
    • Stockport
    • Wigan
    • Preston

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is 'historical'? All time? Last 30 years? 20? 10? 5? Different answer for each I suspect.

I suppose it means our closest to a West Brom-Wolves, Sunderland-Newcastle, Wrexham-Chester, Blackpool-Preston sort of rivalry. Where both teams have always considered the fixtures to be big, regardless of the league both teams are playing in.

That, or which has been the strongest rivalry at any time in the club's history.

Edited by NewBlue

Purely on geography it's Rochdale I suppose. But I can't really find it in myself to hate them, I don't care about them either way. They are probably the only club we can look down on, so from a banter perspective it's good fun.

Historically it's Blackburn or City really, mainly because when I started following Latics properly (ie with my mates not going with my Dad) they were thee two local teams we played most frequently.

Other thing is, are we any other clubs biggest rivals?

On the list maybe you could make a case for Stockport, Tranmere or Wigan if we're pushing it. It would be good if a proper rivalry got going again that wasn't one-sided in terms of significance. I used to enjoy playing Huddersfield but now they're gone, hopefully the return of Wigan and Blackpool will result in a few more grudge matches.

As for League 1 at the minute, I just can't hate Rochdale.

Went for Bradford as current rivals... Don't know why just seems the most obvious out the list.

Went for tranmere for historical! Since I've supported Oldham we've played these on a lot of occasions, think it was helped by the Ian and Ronnie Moore thing.

Sheff Utd games have been quite tasty in recent years, at their place anyway.

We do suffer from the lack of proper local derbies - games where the opposition will bring a good following and our own fairweather fans would turn out in force.

Like someone above, when I started going in the late 80's we always seemed to be playing Blackburn, Leeds and City and there was a decent rivalry there.

While they weren't so bothered about us from 90 to 94 the rivalry with United was real from our side..

Edited by HarryBosch

Currently Rochdale as my brother in law supports them and this rivalry has made the seasons when we have both been in the same league much more interesting.

All time? When I started going the most local team we played was Blackburn, I remember some games over Easter, maybe even midday on Good Friday when when they brought a lot and it was a cracking atmosphere.

Oh, the correct answer is that we don't have a proper rivalry with anyone at the moment, which is :censored:.

Tend to agree with this to an extent as I struggled to pick a current rival so plumped for Dale, despite having nowt against them other than they're league rivals. All the popular historical rivals are not in our league anymore so we either need to get promoted or establish some new rivalries..

Added it as an option on the poll.

Edited by NewBlue

I can't think of much against Bradford. The rest can all :censored: off.

Except for the Yorkshire thing. :censored: Bradford too.

After seeing more Bradford games than latics over the past 18 months, I believe I could do the team talk next week, , anyway I really don't like them. As a team its mostly neck brace, hump it high to hansen..and with the success they have had in the cups this season their fans think that they are Barcelona

I can't think of much against Bradford. The rest can all :censored: off.

Except for the Yorkshire thing. :censored: Bradford too.

I think there are only 4 or 5 clubs in England who haven't done something to piss me off, resulting in a disliking, over the years.