Full Time: Crewe 0 Oldham 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand people who were there today being annoyed with the performance being bad. But that win was vital. If we lost and results went against us we would've been right in the thick of the relegation battle. As it is only us and Crawley in the bottom half won (and they beat Orient) so we have some breathing space now.

We were the better of two poor teams, thankfully we didn't concede a silly equaliser at the end like last year. Hopefully this will give the team some confidence and we can put a bit of a run together, get us back in the top half, which I think this season, on the whole, deserves.

To be fair to Holden he could have taught LJ a lesson or two on how to approach a game against a lower half team. Two 1-0 wins against so called lesser teams.

This is where I see Holden peaking out though...he can probably gee the lads up for a scrap vs less technical/capable sides. But when it comes to us putting our wits against a better team he hasn't taught/instilled the tactics to the team on how we can beat them.

Some times teams are just techically better and no matter how much you want it or pride you show it just isn't enough. This is where the next level of managers shine as they find ways to un pick the better teams weaknesses. The majority of the time you will still lose however your chance are greater.

A win is awin.3 points in the bag.Scrappy game but they put more effort in.Getting there was a ballache having to get off at Sandbach and getting coach in.Still managed a drink and a visit to that chippy.....PJS it wascalled

Dean Holden @deanholdenuk · 10h 10 hours ago

@OfficialOAFC Tough challenge for us today but a great team effort from fans, players and staff. Nice one

Oldham Athletic AFC @OfficialOAFC · 12h 12 hours ago

Special thank you to the 737 Latics fans at Gresty Road today who did not stop singing from minute one.

Oldham Athletic AFC @OfficialOAFC · 14h 14 hours ago

On review of the DVD, it was @mathewsadler who assisted @ConorWilkoo for today's only goal of the game.

Mat Sadler @mathewsadler · 13h 13 hours ago

No better feeling on a Saturday night after a win made even better by the support we received. Safe journey home to everybody

Really poor game, good win but could have gone either way.

Coleman, shaky start coming for balls he wasn't going to get but recovered well, let's give him a run, one great tip over the bar.

Credit to the back 4, new line up, away from home, protecting a rookie keeper and kept a clean sheet. Can't be sniffed at but this back four are no more than a solid hoof it league one defence, will keep you up but won't get you up. Lockwood and Gerrard will defend resolutely, put their head in and block, great, but it will be 50/50 whether any pass over 10 yards will find a team mate. Just what we want some might say? Not for me, j Wilson with Gerrard next season may be promising however.

Midfield, oh how we miss Kelly, Jones (perhaps my favourite player) was off it yesterday as was Winchester, and these two without our captain look nothing like the players that they can be, not through lack of effort I will add. Philliskirk continues to disappoint and now has a real reluctance to shoot (as do most of our team, Jones aside).

I think we might have something in Turner, after five minutes he put in great run, ball at feet, and thought he might score, but a good save from Chubs. I expected that to fire him up but to a degree he drifted a bit afterwards and couldn't get into the game before being subbed for Wilkinson. On to Forte, I don't really get it with this lad, his body language has always been awful and he looks lazy and disinterested, he'll then do something that belies this and you realise what a player he could be - needs more application and to provide this team with inspiration, he's a senior pro here and must give us more, playing out of position or not.

Then to Wilkinson, I think this lad oozes class, the silkiest mover since Paul Warhurst, I'd love us to sign him, if he can add those important goals then he'll be real handful, great touch, reasonable in the air, great to see him celebrate like he did. Needs to produce more consistently.

All in all, we are a bit shot shy, Kelly and Mills will help our ability in attack but not really sure who else from those injured will improve us. Could be an ugly move up the table for us now.

59:30 into the Football League Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p2cnt/the-football-league-show-20142015-21032015

Great save by Coleman. I think their keeper should have done better with the goal ...

Was it Rachubka?

Exactly the problem Johnson had with him. Solid goalkeeper and well organised but when he did concede more often than not is was very very saveable.