Oldham vs Rochdale (Tue 24th March) Pre Build up

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the away fans topic, if I was a Rochdale fan I'd run from Spotland, probably even Scotland, to make this fixture - and I haven't ran for about 6 months...Why would any of their supporters in their right mind miss this?

I read on their forum some saying this could arguably be the biggest week in the club's history, it's certainly the furthest they've been up the pyramid so late in a season, yet they're moaning about £2 extra on top of ticket prices, how we're monsters to give them an end stand and how it has live coverage on GMR, which may put some off. If any of them can't be arsed to come down to BP tonight then I don't think it's worth bothering to follow a football team.

Edited by NewBlue

On the away fans topic, if I was a Rochdale fan I'd run from Spotland, probably even Scotland, to make this fixture - and I haven't ran for about 6 months...Why would any of their supporters in their right mind miss this?

I read on their forum some saying this could arguably be the biggest week in the club's history, it's certainly the furthest they've been up the pyramid so late in a season, yet they're moaning about £2 extra on top of ticket prices, how we're monsters to give them an end stand and how it has live coverage on GMR, which may put some off. If any of them can't be arsed to come down to BP tonight then I don't think it's worth bothering to follow a football team.

I think this rivalry has a long way to go before both teams see it as the biggest fixture of their season.

Rochdale are not exactly viewing this as their cup final. Rochdale have probably seen bury as their rivals over the last 10 years, it's going to take a number of years of us both being in the same division and a few memorable fixtures for this to get some momentum. So here's hoping for a 4-3 tonight with a 22 man brawl a controversial penalty 2 sendings off and a winner deep into stoppage time and this might start to take off.

I think this rivalry has a long way to go before both teams see it as the biggest fixture of their season.

Rochdale are not exactly viewing this as their cup final. Rochdale have probably seen bury as their rivals over the last 10 years, it's going to take a number of years of us both being in the same division and a few memorable fixtures for this to get some momentum. So here's hoping for a 4-3 tonight with a 22 man brawl a controversial penalty 2 sendings off and a winner deep into stoppage time and this might start to take off.

It's not really about us though. If they win tonight they're in the play offs with another game in hand and 9 games to go.

That's not the point though. Rivals or not, they are away to a team 6 miles down the road in a game where a win would take them a huge step closer to the play offs. As has been said, if you can't get yourself up for that game, you should probably jack it in

You've missed the point I think. This isn't about any sort of rivalry.

Most Latics fans couldn't give a toss about this fixture I'm assuming from the subdued build-up. I voted Rochdale as our biggest rival in the poll but that's just by default really. They're only a leaague position rivalry to me, anything beyond that and I don't care. And the same probably goes for their fans views towards us.

However in their 100+ history they might NEVER have had a better chance to get into the second tier of English football than this season, and they may never again, so why you would miss a fixture against a local team, 5 miles away in the biggest run-in your club has ever experienced I just do not know. I suppose it's a bit like if we were 7th in the Championship with an away game at Huddersfield and missing it. These are the games that keep you excited, and for Dale fans, not many of them have ever come about...

Edited by NewBlue

Because Rochdale have no real history they don't have a lot of dormant support waiting to be awaken by a spurt of success.Whereas we probably do and the majority like to go to one or 2 away days a season currently Rochdale being the one this season. Besides even if they take 1500 it's still nearly 50% of their home gate.

Plus I find the idea of Oldham fans looking down their nose at Rochdale as kind of weird.

Edited by GlossopLatic

If we ever played Ashton or Mossley or someone similarly close and they could cater for enough of us we'd take thousands. Without being in the position Rochdale currently are...

They're an odd set of fans.

If we ever played Ashton or Mossley or someone similarly close and they could cater for enough of us we'd take thousands. Without being in the position Rochdale currently are...

They're an odd set of fans.

Maybe we're the odd ones.

Because Rochdale have no real history they don't have a lot of dormant support waiting to be awaken by a spurt of success.Whereas we probably do and the majority like to go to one or 2 away days a season currently Rochdale being the one this season. Besides even if they take 1500 it's still nearly 50% of their home gate.

Plus I find the idea of Oldham fans looking down their nose at Rochdale as kind of weird[\B].

I'll take the piss as much as the next person but, it's not that with me, more bemusement.

I don't get it and it's a shame. For us and them. Moreso them probably.

I think Rochdale fans do see playing us as a big game really, but they play it down knowing that they will be embarrassed when they turn up pretty poorly supported for a big match.

Most of the Bury fans I know hate Bolton; like maybe we are trying to, they have built up a rivalry with Rochdale in the absence of anyone else.