Dare to dream?... Again!

2012/13 19th 52 pts

2013/14 16th 59 pts

2014/15 11th 52 pts 8 games left.

Top 10 finish with 65 pts would show that we have made progress and with our best players all still contracted for next year then we have a chance of building on that again.

I like an earlier suggestion of just attacking each game and going all out for the win!

From this point on last year we got 14 points. Same again might get us close if other teams keep dropping points like has been happening all season.

I'm not dreaming yet, but a win at Bradford would raise hopes again!

The league table is very strange this year. I wouldn't mind seeing one of those weird tables that shows points placings and blank spacings (if anyone can remember what they're called, I'd be grateful.)

We're not safe yet, but a play-off place isn't beyond us, if we're in league with Jesus Christ and he's in the mood for working some magic. At the same time, that table has got "last day disaster" written all over it for somebody. You start the day in mid-table, perhaps even looking up a little. You have a man sent off in the eighth minute, whereupon the opposition sets about ruining your previously comforting goal difference. Meanwhile, other players are getting sent off left, right and centre - while playing against your relegation rivals. Things start going seriously awry when a dog runs on the pitch somewhere, allowing your last remaining rival eight minutes of injury time. Suddenly, at about 5 o'clock, the goalie goes up for a corner...

Dare to dream? Of course, it's what being a football fan is all about.

Likely to be anything more than a dream? Sorry, but no.

With 52 points, the maximum we could secure this season will be 76 points. Realistically the lowest points total that would give you hope of the play-offs will be 72 (based on previous season). Can we only drop 4 points between now and the end of the season? Possible, but improbable.

But a 60+ points total and a Top 10 finish would be a good season - and show progress.

But does that then mean that DH gets the role or does it mean the new manager inherits a positive situation.

From this point on last year we got 14 points. Same again might get us close if other teams keep dropping points like has been happening all season.

I'm not dreaming yet, but a win at Bradford would raise hopes again!

All we need to get by the end of the season for 6th is -

• 4 more points than Barnsley,
  • 2 more than Rochdale and Doncaster,
  • 1 more than Fleetwood (or a :censored: load more goals)
  • 2 more than Peterborough until we play them and to then beat them on the last day of the season

Have I got that right?

Easy.

• 2 more than Peterborough until we play them and to then beat them on the last day of the season

Have I got that right?

Easy.

Looking at their run in I'd say Peterborough should get the last spot. We'll struggle to pick up 2 more points than them before the last day.

Still think we're in with a good shout of 7th/8th but would take a very impressive run in.

Have I got that right?

Easy.

Yes its right (with the exception that Bradford with 2 games in hand are in the mix), but doesn't make it easy.

Also, in what will be a very tight run in for the last play-off place, GD is likely to play a part and on that basis we are screwed. Dale, despite getting a -3 last night, are in the pole position from that point of view.