Oldham 3-0 Rochdale

Not wishing to be over critical of the lad, but I hope Turner gets a bollocking for the third goal. He should have played Winchester in.

He got really lucky that the Rochdale defenders made it so easy for him to get so close on his own.

Like Winchester should have done at Scunthorpe when he had 3 players on his right? Bollocks-if you get the goal you get the goal!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Winchester should have done at Scunthorpe when he had 3 players on his right? Bollocks-if you get the goal you get the goal!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but that's not how the game works. As a coach you teach people to make good decisions. Rhys Turner made the wrong decision by going it alone.

Dinking a through ball to WInchester, where he would have been in yards of space inside the area, is the option that would be by far the most to likely result in a goal.

It's just simple mathematics and probability.

There is a big difference between a forward and a striker...A forward plays upfront.......A striker is a greedy bastard who when near the opposition net only wants to score. Hopefully we have our striker.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but that's not how the game works. As a coach you teach people to make good decisions. Rhys Turner made the wrong decision by going it alone.

Dinking a through ball to WInchester, where he would have been in yards of space inside the area, is the option that would be by far the most to likely result in a goal.

I appreciate the point you are trying to make but.........

did he make the wrong decision? he did score which im sure was his aim and we won which was the aim of the team.

What if he passed to Winchester who lets the ball slip under his foot and the chance goes begging?

Mathmatucs and probability is one thing but this is football - he did the right thing.

There is a big difference between a forward and a striker...A forward plays upfront.......A striker is a greedy bastard who when near the opposition net only wants to score. Hopefully we have our striker.

Was about to say the same a striker is a greedy player his confidence was up and he believed in himself. As long as that ball hits the back of net I'm not arsed if he's greedy or not

Not wishing to be over critical of the lad, but I hope Turner gets a bollocking for the third goal. He should have played Winchester in.

He got really lucky that the Rochdale defenders made it so easy for him to get so close on his own.

I get your point however...we have always wanted 20+ strikers and the only way you get one is by having a greedy goal hungry player.

I play a decent level of amateur football and it is infuriating when they don't play the simple ball at times...but also when they finish the season with a bag of goals you realise their goal instinct is worth it over the course of the season.

I appreciate the point you are trying to make but.........

did he make the wrong decision? he did score which im sure was his aim and we won which was the aim of the team.

What if he passed to Winchester who lets the ball slip under his foot and the chance goes begging?

Mathmatucs and probability is one thing but this is football - he did the right thing.

I understand what you are saying, however you are talking about hindsight. I am not.

Let's imagine the exact same scenario happens again in the next match. Freeze frame the youtube video if it helps. Rhys Turner is surrounded by defenders on the edge of the box. No defender has spotted Winchester running into space. Turner only has to play a simple through ball to leave Winchester in a 1 v 1 with the keeper. What should Turner do?

It's a bit like placing an evens bet on the number 6 coming up on the roll of a dice and having it come though, yet you could have taken an evens bet on the numbers 1-5 combined. Then arguing that you should repeat the bet in the same circumstances next time.

I am saying that next time he should be making the more logical choice.

You didnt answer my point re Scunthorpe but as we hear more and more these days Managers tell their players to go out and take risks!

In other words to defy mathematics and probability. My opinion is that Winchester would have cocked it up (probably!)

I get your point however...we have always wanted 20+ strikers and the only way you get one is by having a greedy goal hungry player.

I play a decent level of amateur football and it is infuriating when they don't play the simple ball at times...but also when they finish the season with a bag of goals you realise their goal instinct is worth it over the course of the season.

This. Had enough of the Chuckle Brothers 'to me, to you' attacking of recent seasons, a greedy striker's what we need.

Having players like Winchester and Jones constantly wanting to score long-range wonder goals is a bonus as well.

You didnt answer my point re Scunthorpe but as we hear more and more these days Managers tell their players to go out and take risks!

In other words to defy mathematics and probability. My opinion is that Winchester would have cocked it up (probably!)

If the expectation is that Winchester is going to cock it up then perhaps he shouldn't be making the run in the first place.

However I still think that playing Winchester into space is a better option than hoping that the five Rochdale defenders in close proximity will part the Red Sea.

This. Had enough of the Chuckle Brothers 'to me, to you' attacking of recent seasons, a greedy striker's what we need.

Having players like Winchester and Jones constantly wanting to score long-range wonder goals is a bonus as well.

This for me - check out my signature below - and Bob Paisley knew a little bit about football management too...

Edited by TheBigDog

There was a woman on the RRE side of the Main Stand who was constantly moaning at our players throughout the game. She was the only slight on last night's fantastic evening...

That'll teach for sitting in the Main Stand ;-)

I'm glad Turner didn't pass and I would've said the same had he missed.

He wants goals. He's young and able, greedy to score and direct. He's a goalscorer, and that is an invaluable instinct.

But that's not to say he isn't a team player. Look at him pressing their defender for Forte's goal.

I forgot my favourite bit, as the game was winding down Henderson broke down the left but was offside, Gerrard was running with him started pointing to the lino and then got right in Henderson's face explaining the offside rule, telling him he needs to be in front of the defence when the ball is played. Henderson didn't look happy! Two minutes later, same thing, close offside decision with Henderson with Gerrard in his wake, Gerrard again starts pointing to the lino and explaining offside, Henderson didn't like that one bit and pushed Gerrard away.

Been a while since we've had an experienced niggly player at the back, good work from Holden and Corney bringing Gerrard in.

This Tony. An absolute 'orrible bastard to play against. A la Gregan type. Every good team needs one of two of these.

If the expectation is that Winchester is going to cock it up then perhaps he shouldn't be making the run in the first place.

However I still think that playing Winchester into space is a better option than hoping that the five Rochdale defenders in close proximity will part the Red Sea.

I have watched it again and still think that you are wrong, sorry! One of their centre backs behind the first man makes a move towards covering Winchester and a gap opens up so Turner walks through it then another gap opens and he walks through that too then the Goalie stays on his line.............................GOAL

This Tony. An absolute 'orrible bastard to play against. A la Gregan type. Every good team needs one of two of these.

Says something about me that it really was the highlight of the game, 3-0 against Dale, I was giving my Dale supporting brother in law a lift home afterwards and the best bit was our defender winding up one of their players. And then he did it again. We've all heard the stories about VInnie Jones, Dennis Wise nipping players whilst "helping them to their feet" other players 'getting to the opposition' and in their heads but it has been a while since we've had anyone doing it.

I'm all for ball playing centre backs spraying the ball 60 yards to our winger's feet to put us on the fast counter but we are 3rd division and need long in the tooth nasty bastards using the old footballing dark arts to gain us an advantage.