Oldham 3-0 Rochdale

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Winchester did miss after a pass then we wouldn't have been talking about it as from Turner's position the only option other than a pass was to dribble/bundle the ball through 3 Rochdale defenders, I hardly think we would be commenting on the situation.

When it was first brought up I thought Phil was saying Turner should have passed at the end of the move but as has clearly been seen over the last few pages he means at the start, I'm still not sure what the 'best' thing for Turner to have done is and this is probably at the heart of why we love football. It is a simple game and we all overcomplicate it. There have been times when I have made the same point as Phil, bemoaned when a Latics player has blasted a shot in from an angle that the laws of physics rule impossible and they have had a man over, onside and in space waiting for a tap in. At 0-0 or 0-1 a player should play the percentages to give us the lead or get back in it. At 2-0 with the clock running down I'm happy to see a 19 year old on 2 goals for the week attempt a dribble and get his 3rd of the week.

There have been many comments on here about the 'product' not attracting the fans back, goals like Turner's are 'were you there moments' and these get the fans back. Perfunctory 3-0 home wins with goals from overloading the opposition defence are good but it is the little moments like that 3rd goal that are the reason people go to the games.

In my opinion, Phil is both right and wrong at the same time. If we'd drawn or lost I would be in full agreement that Turner should have passed but as we won it is just nice arguing about the right thing to do at 2-0 up.

I think it's just silly to analyse something that becomes a goal like that. Like someone said above, if he never passes and always :censored:s up his shots and dribbles over a long run of games fair enough. But one tiny split second decision in one game that may not have even led to a goal. It's meaningless.

If you always played the percentages would we have any of the amazing goals we all love in football? That's why it's brilliant. You can have all the tactics, training and percentages in the world and still lose because of a great bit of skill or bad luck!

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

In my opinion, Phil is both right and wrong at the same time. If we'd drawn or lost I would be in full agreement that Turner should have passed but as we won it is just nice arguing about the right thing to do at 2-0 up.

Schrodinger's Pass

Having watched the goal the pass to Winchester only seemed on for a very split second anyway. The defenders could have easily intercepted it. Well done Turner, cracking goal.

And the final word on the subject from the lad himself as reported in the rarely wrong:

Turner is clearly confident in his own ability. His second goal in the derby - a mix of great close control and awful defending - saw him ignore a run into space. Had he failed to score, he would have heard about it.

“Winch (Carl Winchester) ran on the outside, which made the defender’s mind up. He gave me a yard and I went for it,” Turner said.

Case closed m'lud?

Something that I forgot to post immediately after this game was the fact that we appeared to win the toss (i.e. Dale kicked off the first half) and choose to attack the Chaddy End first.

Not sure I can recall us ever attacking the 'home end' in the first half and it being our choice.

Something that I forgot to post immediately after this game was the fact that we appeared to win the toss (i.e. Dale kicked off the first half) and choose to attack the Chaddy End first.

Not sure I can recall us ever attacking the 'home end' in the first half and it being our choice.

We knew where the landmines were planted - clearly the Dale players didn't...