What would it take for you to want Holden to keep the job?

If we maintain the last two games form and finish strongly and/or get into the playoffs it would seem wrong for DH not to keep the job.

But, how much of it is down to him and how much is down to TP?

Or luck?

Even if continues to do well you wonder what kind of signings he'd be able bring in or attract compared to a "bigger" name manager.

That said - Gerrard, Sadler & Woodland do bode well in this regard....

If he gets us up does he automatically keep it or is it a case of the Championship being too much to ask even moreso with his lack of experience of or preparation for full time management?

Where does the point come that SC can say that although he originally had no intention of keeping him he'd be daft to not let him carry on producing the results?

42.8% win ratio.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gets us up - he stays, and rightly so.

Gets us in the playoffs - Hard call to

make. Wouldn't begrudge him getting a deal for next season.

Anywhere below playoffs - get someone else in.

I was asking myself the same question last night as I watch the FAIL fans streaming out, and came tot he same conclusion as sjk2008, except that I would give him the deal if he reached the play offs.

An upswing occured when TP joined him. If that run continues until the season end fantastic but TP wont want it next year.

A experienced asistant would be a massive factor for me on if Holden gets it for longer but would it work as well as it is now?

if not, Holden would be on a hiding to nothing and the fans would turn in a second.

If Tony Philliskirk is by his side and we end the season in the play offs thats how I'd like to see us next season.

Tony Philliskirk from what we all know up to now, doesnt want to be involved which is fair enough so it's a new man for me.

A good run of result doesn't warrant the job. It is statistically probable that your results will improve with a new manager for a short period. Many clubs make the mistake of appointing a caretaker because of one upturn of form then when they have settled there is no improvement.

He could get us promoted and I would want a new manager. Or at least I would make him apply and go through the same interview process that every other applicant endures.

Edited by NewBlue

If he gets us in the playoffs, you have to give him the job. But that won't happen.

I'd like to see us bring in someone who would create at least a flicker of excitement - like Dowie or Ritchie - but that won't happen either. I don't think Corney was remotely serious about giving the job to either Scholes or Dowie. Keith Hill would be great but Corney would never (i) pay compensation to bring him in, or (ii) recruit someone who's so far from being a yes man.

So, given that the strong likelihood is that it'll be a young, unproven nobody, it might as well be Holden as anyone else.

It's intereting, I am a big TP fan, so am sure some is him.

But some is down to Deano's loan signings.

Plus a tough call being made keeping Coleman in the side, credit for that.

Given the timings, and his efforts with a horrendous injury list. We still ahve half a side of first teamers out don't forget, he'd deserve it IMHO.

If he gets us in the playoffs, you have to give him the job. But that won't happen.

I'd like to see us bring in someone who would create at least a flicker of excitement - like Dowie or Ritchie - but that won't happen either. I don't think Corney was remotely serious about giving the job to either Scholes or Dowie. Keith Hill would be great but Corney would never (i) pay compensation to bring him in, or (ii) recruit someone who's so far from being a yes man.

So, given that the strong likelihood is that it'll be a young, unproven nobody, it might as well be Holden as anyone else.

Keith who? !

My worry is i have seen this before with manager if he can get us a top 10 finish then he defo has staked a claim to the job. However been seen in the past where once in full control it all goes wrong then back to square one all over again.

Gets us in the playoffs - Hard call to

make. Wouldn't begrudge him getting a deal for next season.

Not a hard call to make at all. If Dean Holden was to take this lot into the playoffs with the injuries we've sustained and all the :censored: we've put up with this season, not only should he get a 10 year contract, we should name the new stand after him!

There's not a person alive on this planet who can justify a manager not being good enough to manage Oldham having achieved the rare feat of playoff finish. Who the :censored: do we think we are? That would be a miracle!

Edited by PlayItLivo

man management - the players all seemed to run to him on Saturday.

coaching and tactics - he has done his badges

player identification and recruitment - he has recruited 3 players, two of which have been part of a defence keeping two clean sheets in a row and the other got mom last night, not a bad record.

keith hill was the youth coach at dale when they gave him a shot and that didnt turn out too bad for them

man management - the players all seemed to run to him on Saturday.

coaching and tactics - he has done his badges

player identification and recruitment - he has recruited 3 players, two of which have been part of a defence keeping two clean sheets in a row and the other got mom last night, not a bad record.

keith hill was the youth coach at dale when they gave him a shot and that didnt turn out too bad for them

Don't disagree with some of what you say but there's a difference between emergency loanees and building a squad for longer term I think

If Holden has us finishing in the top six come the end of the season, he would have done something Lee Johnson failed to do: found a way for the team to achieve consistent results.

Even a three-match winning run eluded Johnson for the majority of his period in charge.

A top-six finish and Holden has to be rewarded with a permanent contract. Owt less and Corney, dependant on the manner in which we conclude the season, has to make a difficult decision.

For me, if we were to continue our inconsistency I'd want a new name.